2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

Really enjoying the new Spoon album. It's a bit front loaded with Hot Thoughts, First Caress and the second song with the long name all being huge bangers. After that it settles down a bit but that's not to say the rest is poor, far from it. I've listened to it a few times now and it's already a serious shout for AOTY so far. The only song I'm struggling with is the last one, an over 5 minute jazzy instrumental but apart from that the rest is really good. 

Also been liking the new Wilsen album which seems to have leaked about a month and a half early. It seems to being pushed as her debut but she had a 9 song release a few years back which I always thought was a full album, though to be fair a couple of older songs pop up again on the new one. If you're into Daughter or Parachutes era Coldplay then I'd definitely recommend giving this album a go

I listened to the new Real Estate album yesterday as well, seemed quite good but Darling (one of my favourite songs of the year) seemed the clear standout on first listen. I'll listen to it again a few times over the next few days and see if it grows on me.

Dunno if this has been brought up yet but this new one from Downtown Boys is every bit as good as anything from their debut. As far as I'm aware they've only played London and Glasgow in the past which isn't possible on my budget so I'm eagerly waiting for my first chance to see them.

23 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Dunno if this has been brought up yet but this new one from Downtown Boys is every bit as good as anything from their debut. As far as I'm aware they've only played London and Glasgow in the past which isn't possible on my budget so I'm eagerly waiting for my first chance to see them.

Cool. Never got around to listening to the debut but this has given me a push to do so.

2 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

Lmao for one of their pop trash songs this is a low key hot beat. I'm just surprised they didn't get some 2008 rapper like B.O.B or Wale on a verse.

Edited by dentalplan

33 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Wow, never heard of these guys. Loving the first album. Punchy stuff! That Break a Few Eggs tune is as a good a "getting a car chase from the police" song as I've heard in a while. 

Check out Negative Scanner if you haven't already. Similar ish.

Edited by The Nal

56 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Wow, never heard of these guys. Loving the first album. Punchy stuff! That Break a Few Eggs tune is as a good a "getting a car chase from the police" song as I've heard in a while. 

Check out Negative Scanner if you haven't already. Similar ish.

I've come across them before but never listened, they sound great. There's a lot of this sorta stuff coming from the states at the moment, Priests are really good (think I'm too far down the priest list to get an invite to the band, hoping for some sort of discount to their Manchester show in May).

17 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I've come across them before but never listened, they sound great. There's a lot of this sorta stuff coming from the states at the moment, Priests are really good (think I'm too far down the priest list to get an invite to the band, hoping for some sort of discount to their Manchester show in May).

haha, never heard of them either. Another one I like! Great work, keep em coming!

14 minutes ago, The Nal said:

haha, never heard of them either. Another one I like! Great work, keep em coming!

Off the top of my head in that sort of vein The Coathangers and Sheer Mag are both great. If you've not heard of Kagoule they're great as well but British and a bit more Smashing Pumpkins-y. I'll leave you with that for today ahah, tune in tomorrow...

14 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Loads of good "guitar music" (indie rock) around at the moment. In the last 12 months there's been top banana albums from yer mor well-known Mitski, Angel Olsen, Grandaddy, Los Campesinos!, Car Seat Headrest and Dinosaur Jr, and there's an extremely healthy DIY scene in the UK right now, and up and comers in the USA. The mainstream is well away from it, which I'm happy with, because it's much nicer to watch a gig in a room full dorks who actually like this stuff than the trendy leather jacket skinny jeans and winkle picker shitc**ts from the mid-00s NME cider craze days.

Well said. I do fear I may have been a part of that era though - although I never had a leather jacket and skinny jeans never fit my fat legs (muscle obvs). It was that era that was my first steps into music (early 90s kid innit, dont hate), so as much as I look back at the time in my life and say 'what the fuck was I doing?' - without it I probably wouldnt be enjoying as much music as I am today.

8 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Off the top of my head in that sort of vein The Coathangers and Sheer Mag are both great. If you've not heard of Kagoule they're great as well but British and a bit more Smashing Pumpkins-y. I'll leave you with that for today ahah, tune in tomorrow...

I know Sheer Mag but not the others. Good rucking old boy!

Really digging the new Real Estate album. Not much we haven't heard before but that's fine by me, and Darling has grown on me massively after initially not impressing too much. Gonna take something mega to pull me away from seeing them when they inevitably play the festival this year.

Assuming you're all listening to  leaked copy of Real estate. I'll give it a listen tomorrow, I'd not really come across them until recently, which is a surprise considering how jingle jangle they are.

Gonna keep an eye on that Jarvis / Gonzales collaboration as well.

26 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

A one-off single from Ms. E. T. Great.

Met her once at the Wedgewood Rooms and gave her a lift to the train station afterwards. Got a few pics of the gig somewhere: I'll have a look. Proper nice person indeed. Saw a few of her gigs after that. Loved it. Not listened to much since, but liking that. 

Anyhoo. Boring white boy that I am, I've gone through the Anoushka Shankar stuff I like, where do I go next? Not liking the stuff as much  with guest English-speaking singing. 

Probably entry level stuff I know. I'm off to bed now, but any recommendations welcome. Ta. 

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

Met her once at the Wedgewood Rooms and gave her a lift to the train station afterwards. Got a few pics of the gig somewhere: I'll have a look. Proper nice person indeed. Saw a few of her gigs after that. Loved it. Not listened to much since, but liking that. 

Omg give it a rest man, always showing off about how you gave a minor indie folk singer that nobody even listens to a lift to the station... Probably best to add a safetywink there ;)

Yes, please do post the photos.

3 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Not sure I like the idea of scummers hanging out at the Wedge :P 

Shut up you! I already studiously ignore your daft tweets...don't make me bite now! ;-)

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Omg give it a rest man, always showing off about how you gave a minor indie folk singer that nobody even listens to a lift to the station... Probably best to add a safetywink there ;)

Yes, please do post the photos.

Heh.

Just tried and the file size is too big. Off to bed now, but I'll have another try in the morning. If it won't work I'll DM you a link to my Flickr. 

Holy Jesus, they were taken October 2006! Eeesh. 

Depeche Mode - Spirit is pretty good. It is not as dark as people are making out imo. It is certainly not as morose as Black Celebration. There is a techno vibe to it and Dave Gahan steals the show imo. He has turned into the complete front man.

It is a very serious sounding album. It is not as good as Music Complete from New Order, in fact it is no where near as good. Yet there is something very alluring about it. it Is one for listening to at home rather than one made for stadiums

18 hours ago, priest17 said:

18 hours ago, The Nal said:

I know Sheer Mag but not the others. Good rucking old boy!

+1 for Kagoule. Their first album is a cracker, can't wait for number 2. Hoping for a farm appearance off the back of it this year. 

10 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

New Spoon album is absolutely incredible. Album of the year for me. Can't think of anything that can top this.

EDIT: Also just realized that this is my 5,000th post. God, I really need to get a life.

It's damn good. And this is from someone that hasn't listened to Spoon much before.

Am I remembering right that they are ruled out for G? Big shame if so.

Edited by mjsell