Pukkelpop 2017

DDave

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belgian Ticketmaster Twitter account accidently mentioned Frank Ocean's booking for Flow Festival with #pkp17 at the end of the tweet. It's been deleted by now but I saw the tweet, so it's legit. The fact that it's deleted already, probably means it was really by accident and not just to make people 'speculate' or 'hope' or something because 'he is near'.

This article has the tweet:

http://ballinnn.com/het-lijkt-erop-dat-een-stagiaire-van-ticketmaster-zojuist-heeft-verklapt-dat-frank-ocean-op-lowlands-staat/

If true, he co-headlines with Bastille, right? Would mean a big upgrade to the Friday imo.

The fact that both Lowlands and PKP have been mentioned in the tweet means it's less likely to be an error. Looks like Frank has decided to do a run of shows in Europe, maybe he's got the travel bug all of a sudden?!? ;) Reckon he would have been announced today for R&L if he was playing there so perhaps he is doing V? If that was the case then he would have to play PKP on Thursday but agree that Friday looks the more obvious choice.

Looking at the headliners we've got, none of them will have cost a huge amount compared to some of the others doing the rounds. Mumfords will be the most expensive, The XX are everywhere and only really moving into headliner position and Bastille and Editors won't have been much as they're probably just thankful to get the chance! I'm sure they could have booked Eminem (who would have cost a fortune) so I'm hoping this means they're going to use most of the budget on the rest of the line up. This would be the ideal scenario imo as it could mean we get a few decent/big acts headlining and subbing on all the stages. The Marquee is already moving in that direction (Interpol and PJ on Thurs, possibly Elbow and Flaming Lips on Fri) and for me personally I'd love to see the likes of Pendulum and Aphex Twin added to the Dance Hall, even though it looks like we've already got our headliners for there. Starting to feel pretty optimistic about this year!!

Ellie Goulding posted a gif on Twitter a couple of days ago from her last show at PKP. Her army of Ghouls (or whatever they call themselves) went into meltdown but I wouldn't be surprised to see her sub Bastille or Mumfords, with Frank Ocean doing the other. 

added Frank ! http:///s/pkp2017/

I honestly think they choose the safe path this year, instead of going for big but risky artists (see last year). I think the fact that they can affort Editors, Mumford & Sons, Bastille, The XX, Elbow, PJ Harvey, Interpol and Chance says a lot! Editors has a lot of popularity in the benelux and are just happy they can return for another festival season here in Belgium (in the last few years they were so many times here tho, it's a bit sickening at this point but ya..) Mumford & Sons is idd probs the most expensive one but nowhere near Rihanna's price. Though Bastille's popularity is very high here (honestly was expecting them to fully headline PKP as they did in '15) apparently isn't that pricey then? The xx is a new headliner in the circuit thus not very expensive + they're playing like every festival ever in Europe so.. Only one left is Chance who's popularity is rising now he's finally broken through in the US (+ with those 3 grammy win's, got a lot of attention) thus he's not that expensive here I guess either. 

With only one expensive headliner and 3/4 low priced ones, there's room for older acts.. Well done tho. Would be one of the first festivals I reckon where he isn't the headliner. In the US and Europe so far he's only headlining smaller festivals I noticed so it'd be a first that he'd both do LL & PKP where he wouldn't get that status but ya.. Anyways, I hope it's true! Catching a Frank's set by sunset would be fucking amazing

4 hours ago, Semprini said:

The fact that both Lowlands and PKP have been mentioned in the tweet means it's less likely to be an error. Looks like Frank has decided to do a run of shows in Europe, maybe he's got the travel bug all of a sudden?!? ;) Reckon he would have been announced today for R&L if he was playing there so perhaps he is doing V? If that was the case then he would have to play PKP on Thursday but agree that Friday looks the more obvious choice.

Frank is only doing 2 uk shows.  Lovebox and parklife

Highly doubt that we should see that Ticketmaster tweet as a real hint. I've interned in the Belgian music business and I can assure you that those major festivals keep their info within a group of people until close before an announcement. So I highly doubt that some Ticketmaster intern/social media manager has access to a high key Pkp AND Lowlands name weeks before it gets dropped. And is allowed to spill the beans on it. And if Frank Ocean is already sure enough to give hints, then why not just drop him in your announcement 2 days earlier? 

Imo Lana Del Rey and Foals are the missing high key names. 

Edited by Dietediet

14 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Haim and Halsey for R&L + others.

Both due an appearance after cancelling last year.

I'd see HAIM getting to playing in Club and Halsey on main. Where'd she be tho? She obviously gained a lot of popularity since last year (just with Closer alone I reckon) Last year she was scheduled for, Halsey - The Lumineers - Noel Gallagher - Chem Bros - Chase & Status so around 5-6.. This year I place up right before the sub? Which would mean she'd either be on friday or saturday. I don't see Halsey - London Grammar - Frank Ocean - Bastille happening, that'd be just awful for a big load of people but with the new way PKP is going, you never know or she'd go on saturday with Halsey - Rise Against - Mumford & Sons - Flume?

Edited by arcuse

24 minutes ago, arcuse said:

I'd see HAIM getting to playing in Club and Halsey on main. Where'd she be tho? She obviously gained a lot of popularity since last year (just with Closer alone I reckon) Last year she was scheduled for, Halsey - The Lumineers - Noel Gallagher - Chem Bros - Chase & Status so around 5-6.. This year I place up right before the sub? Which would mean she'd either be on friday or saturday. I don't see Halsey - London Grammar - Frank Ocean - Bastille happening, that'd be just awful for a big load of people but with the new way PKP is going, you never know or she'd go on saturday with Halsey - Rise Against - Mumford & Sons - Flume?

The main stage is going to be awful for a lot of people anyway. Won't matter where she plays

Haim I can see in the Marquee.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

Didn't really take much notice of the R&L new names.

Twenty One Pilots are a cert for me. Can see them subbing Bastille. Can't see Major Lazer playing but not closing so hopefully they'll give it a miss. Diplo will turn up in some form no doubt though.

As for decent additions, Haim, Jagwar Ma, Glass Animals, Jungle would be very welcome additions. Lemon Twigs hidden away in there as well. Think I'd buy my ticket just for them.

IMG_20170225_083645.jpg

Edited by DiscothequeDave

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Twenty One Pilots are a cert for me. Can see them subbing Bastille. Can't see Major Lazer playing but not closing so hopefully they'll give it a miss. Diplo will turn up in some form no doubt though.

As for decent additions, Haim, Jagwar Ma, Glass Animals, Jungle would be very welcome additions. Lemon Twigs hidden away in there as well. Think I'd buy my ticket just for them.

IMG_20170225_083645.jpg

Is that R&L poster official? Haven't seen it anywhere.

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

IMG_20170225_083645.jpg

This poster is fake. Royal Blood and twenty one pilots aren't confirmed. Also, twenty one pilots played R&L last year and they aren't gonna tour in Europe this summer. 

Pretty mixed bag first announcement as is typical for Pukkelpop. Some good names and, if they get the scheduling right, could be some memorable performances. Elbow in the Marquee perhaps? Flaming Lips were outstanding when I saw them in Marquee about 5 years or so ago so that would have huge potential too. Editors are Editors, no surprise that they are playing. PJ could be great depending on placement in the lineup. Band of Horses need the right placement on the lineup and could be spectacular. Clean Bandit will be way too high up in the lineup for sure (that's based on my opinion of them, I am sure they are loved). The XX were great last time they played so a good booking. Regardless of all that, I can't go this year but if I could I'd be going. Lineup always grows on me and I've never been short of things to watch at an of the PKPs I've attended. I'll be watching as much as I can on the line stream this year.

No one on the V forum is completely sure if this is legit or not but Ticketmaster just tweeted and then deleted the poster below:

IMG_2055.PNG 

Not much of this is the usual PKP fare but I'd take Stormzy, Rudimental, Madness and Craig David. Also puts Ellie Goulding in the frame, sub on Friday now looking more likely (if the above it true).

Regarding the Frank Ocean situation, whatever the deal is with the Ticketmaster tweet (who seem to be on form at the moment!) I think we can all agree that he's not coming over to Europe in the middle of August for one festival. Perhaps he won't do PKP but he's not playing any others in England so that rules out a couple of big options. 

4 hours ago, Semprini said:

Regarding the Frank Ocean situation, whatever the deal is with the Ticketmaster tweet (who seem to be on form at the moment!) I think we can all agree that he's not coming over to Europe in the middle of August for one festival. Perhaps he won't do PKP but he's not playing any others in England so that rules out a couple of big options. 

Sure we can agree on that. He already plays Flow and Way Out West about a week before Pukkelpop, could be playing other festivals as well...

That fake R&L poster makes the line-up look terrible anyway IMO. 

Is there regular name dumps usually for PKP like RW? I can't really remember from last year.

I can see Mount Kimbie playing the Dance Hall as i'm pretty certain its a live show not a DJ set we'll be getting (unless confirmed otherwise) and not the boiler and would Joy O etc in the Castello or Booth rather than Boiler.

Too early to make a clashfinder now tho.

22 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

Is there regular name dumps usually for PKP like RW? I can't really remember from last year.

no, not really a regular dump of names. Last year the second bunch of names (40) was released on the 8th of april, then another one on the 29th of april, and finally 42 names were dropped 17th of June. The Last Shadow Puppets and Bring me the horizon were added in the week that Rock Werchter started because RW wasn't sold out and they were both on the RW-line-up. Pukkelpop usually gives a notice a couple of days before releasing.

Edited by DaveRSV4

On 26/02/2017 at 1:51 PM, Semprini said:

No one on the V forum is completely sure if this is legit or not but Ticketmaster just tweeted and then deleted the poster below:

IMG_2055.PNG 

Not much of this is the usual PKP fare but I'd take Stormzy, Rudimental, Madness and Craig David. Also puts Ellie Goulding in the frame, sub on Friday now looking more likely (if the above it true).

So it was real after all. What a balls up!

Announcements gone down like a lead balloon in most quarters. 

I don't think it's a particularly bad line up, especially by recent V standards. I'd certainly swap their two headliners for two of ours.

2 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

I don't think it's a particularly bad line up, especially by recent V standards. I'd certainly swap their two headliners for two of ours.

Neither of them are really my cup of tea but at least they've done something a bit different. Some rumours going round that Jay Z is filling in for Beyonce, which could make sense as don't think he's doing many (if any) other shows?

I've started filling up my Dropbox with albums from PKP17 artists. Happy to share with any regulars on here so send me a PM if you'd like the log in details.