T minus & counting 2017

Michaels denim shorts

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/7/2016 at 11:54 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm surprised - what was Tony Benn's reasons, do you know?

As for Tony Blackburn, he is living deity.

Tony Benn wanted to keep the monopoly - the BBC as the only UK broadcaster. The BBC hated the pirates because they took a huge market share, so the BBC lobbied the government and also tried to block/distort the pirates' broadcasts by broadcasting a warbling sound on the same frequency as them.  

1 minute ago, scorp said:

Tony Benn wanted to keep the monopoly - the BBC as the only UK broadcaster. The BBC hated the pirates because they took a huge market share, so the BBC lobbied the government and also tried to block/distort the pirates' broadcasts by broadcasting a warbling sound on the same frequency as them.  

Thanks for the explanation scorp.  Did the BBC's warbling sound work?

19 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks for the explanation scorp.  Did the BBC's warbling sound work?

Only partly. In 1967, or maybe '66 as well, the pirates told us the best direction to hold our transistor radios to minimise the bbc warbling. It worked quite well. The bbc effort was called "jamming". info about the jamming of RNI - Radio North Sea International - which arrived on the scene, in the North Sea, in 1970, when all but one pirate - Caroline - had stopped broadcasting. Maybe Caroline had stopped for a while. RNI was jammed. This link is about the jamming of RNI. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1998441

More info about RNI and Radio Caroline and jamming: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_North_Sea_International

Edited by scorp

3 minutes ago, scorp said:

Only partly. In 1967, or maybe '66 as well, the pirates told us the best direction to hold our transistor radios to minimise the bbc warbling. It worked quite well. The bbc effort was called "jamming". info about the jamming of RNI - Radio North Sea International - which arrived on the scene, in the North Sea, in 1970, when all but one pirate - Caroline - had stopped broadcasting. Maybe Caroline had stopped for a while. RNI was jammed. This link is about the jamming of RNI. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1998441

Thanks for the further explanation scorp. I think I remember listening to Radio Caroline as a chile with one of my brothers late at night when we were supposed to be sleeping. That would have been in the early 70's. Not sure about whether that's a false memory or not though, as they may have stopped by then. I'll look it up on Google to see if they were still transmitting then - and also if they used advertising as a source of revenue to sustain their activities.

16 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks for the further explanation scorp. I think I remember listening to Radio Caroline as a chile with one of my brothers late at night when we were supposed to be sleeping. That would have been in the early 70's. Not sure about whether that's a false memory or not though, as they may have stopped by then. I'll look it up on Google to see if they were still transmitting then - and also if they used advertising as a source of revenue to sustain their activities.

And Caroline is now on radiocaroline.co.uk and at least twice a year broadcasts on medium wave via Manx Radio. Those broadcasts are also a live stream at that address. Caroline still has a ship - see  that address.  Also see Caroline 1973...

Edited by scorp

On 10/9/2016 at 0:33 AM, scorp said:

Back in 1968 I was taking my 'O' and 'A' levels and we also had to sit something called the General Paper, where you had to write five essays on a wide variety of subjects, spanning art, literature and science.  

I still remember one question was on a human right that you felt was being overlooked and I wrote a passionate attack on the 1967 Marine Offences Act, being piloted through parliament by Tony Benn who was then Postmaster General.

The remaining Pirate Radio stations were largely being operated and serviced from Holland and the ships were based outside Britain's territorial waters (the 12 mile limit).  So, in theory, they were outside British jurisdiction.  The way the act worked was to declare it illegal for Brits to work for or supply offshore Pirate Radio stations.  It was the only piece of British legislation to make it illegal for Brits to do something outside of Britain.

More here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine,_%26c.,_Broadcasting_(Offences)_Act_1967

One view on the motivation was the success of Pirate Radio in Scotland where, in a series of elections in Scotland, Labour were stuffed after the Scottish Pirate stations had carried adverts from nationalist groups.

The government were control freaks and didn't like something going on that they couldn't control, hence the legilslation.  All sorts of bullshit was thrown around including fantasy claims that Pirate Radio transmissions could effect radio signals from emergency services.

It always made me question Tony Benn's later elevation to the status of a great libertarian.

It was the best exam result I ever had and I got 98 per cent - so maybe the examiner was also a Pirate Radio fan.

I suppose today's equivalent would be something like the law that prevents UK citizens from travelling abroad to join jihadist terrorist groups.

At the time the BBC had the Home Service and the Light Programme but, following the closure of the pirates, Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4 were born with Radio One being largely presented by ex-pirate radio DJs.

P.S.  Having failed in the ticket sale yesterday I may well be taking less part in the T Minus thread from now on as it will be too painful.

Edited by grumpyhack

11 hours ago, Pear_Cider said:

Yes, we're sorted :D   How about you?

Everyone else on here have success today?

3 hours ago, oneeye said:

Dine and dusted inside 5 minutes this end! 

Good stuff both!  So glad I got mine on Thursday, didn't get a sniff on Sunday!

images.jpg

Edited by Quark

11 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

P.S.  Having failed in the ticket sale yesterday I may well be taking less part in the T Minus thread from now on as it will be too painful.

Sorry to hear that Grumpy :( Was good to see you at the meet this year...was hoping to renew our acquaintance next June. We'll miss you around these parts. Will you be going for the resales? Plenty of people from this parish willing to help out buddy :)