T minus & counting 2017

Michaels denim shorts

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

I could never get much more than a crackly signal from Atlantic 252.

Used this stuff when replacing the fascia cladding on my house.

sikaflex_252.jpg?1466598496

Any good on caravans? I got some Silkaflex EBT+ for some stuff I've got to do but I believe the 252 is good too,

Thankfully I don't know as I've never had to stick any bits of my caravans back together. I would guess that you'll benefit from the stuff that best copes with flexing as vans can twist and turn as you level them or drive across rough ground into places like Glastonbury.

You also don't want the stuff that's going to dry hard and then crack but something that stays a bit flexible.

I know damp is the caravan killer so good luck with your caravan fixing.

16 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Thankfully I don't know as I've never had to stick any bits of my caravans back together. I would guess that you'll benefit from the stuff that best copes with flexing as vans can twist and turn as you level them or drive across rough ground into places like Glastonbury.

You also don't want the stuff that's going to dry hard and then crack but something that stays a bit flexible.

I know damp is the caravan killer so good luck with your caravan fixing.

It's nothing structural. Just a blanking plate for the roof where the aerial was and replacing the Carver/Filterpak water inlet with a Truma Ultraflow, so just adhesive and sealing. EBT+ will be fine...it is flexible too. Just need the weather to do it in now! :D

Edited by Pear_Cider

On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 9:06 AM, grumpyhack said:

Back in 1968 I was taking my 'O' and 'A' levels and we also had to sit something called the General Paper, where you had to write five essays on a wide variety of subjects, spanning art, literature and science.  

I still remember one question was on a human right that you felt was being overlooked and I wrote a passionate attack on the 1967 Marine Offences Act, being piloted through parliament by Tony Benn who was then Postmaster General.

The remaining Pirate Radio stations were largely being operated and serviced from Holland and the ships were based outside Britain's territorial waters (the 12 mile limit).  So, in theory, they were outside British jurisdiction.  The way the act worked was to declare it illegal for Brits to work for or supply offshore Pirate Radio stations.  It was the only piece of British legislation to make it illegal for Brits to do something outside of Britain.

More here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine,_%26c.,_Broadcasting_(Offences)_Act_1967

One view on the motivation was the success of Pirate Radio in Scotland where, in a series of elections in Scotland, Labour were stuffed after the Scottish Pirate stations had carried adverts from nationalist groups.

The government were control freaks and didn't like something going on that they couldn't control, hence the legilslation.  All sorts of bullshit was thrown around including fantasy claims that Pirate Radio transmissions could effect radio signals from emergency services.

It always made me question Tony Benn's later elevation to the status of a great libertarian.

It was the best exam result I ever had and I got 98 per cent - so maybe the examiner was also a Pirate Radio fan.

I suppose today's equivalent would be something like the law that prevents UK citizens from travelling abroad to join jihadist terrorist groups.

At the time the BBC had the Home Service and the Light Programme but, following the closure of the pirates, Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4 were born with Radio One being largely presented by ex-pirate radio DJs.

P.S.  Having failed in the ticket sale yesterday I may well be taking less part in the T Minus thread from now on as it will be too painful.

Thanks for all that info. Yeah, Benn was plainly no libertarian, of right or left.  He/Labour and the bloody BBC wanted total dominance of the airwaves.  Radio Caroline carried on, and Radio North Sea International soon appeared in the North Sea and broadcast for a few years. Caroline broadcast, on and off, until about the early 1990s. Laser 558 also appeared in the North Sea - in the 1980s.The main pirates are now online. caroline.co.uk is Caroline - named, in 1964, after the daughter of the assassinated US President, Kennedy.  Good luck with getting a ticket. Try the resale - or voluntary work at the fest.