Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I really don't want them to play OK Computer in its entirety. I can't think of a single band that has released a vital sounding album after doing one of those full album shows. It's a death knell for a band being a going concern and and admission that you're a legacy act now. Radiohead are somehow still recording music that's up there with their best, even now. I'd hate them to become backwards looking.

I agree in theory, but Radiohead are a different case to most other bands. AMSP is a fantastic album and they still have a few more top albums left in them. If they decide to play OKC in full (which I doubt they will), it won't automatically mean their best days are behind them. As long as they keep releasing great albums they will always be relevant. Bands that play classic albums in full are usually out of ideas; Radiohead quiet clearly are not. 

For the record I don't really want them to do it. I wouldn't be upset, but it wouldn't be first choice.

8 hours ago, jparx said:

I know it's very un-Radiohead, but with next year being the 20th anniversary of OKC is there any chance they play it in full on the Pyramid? Could be two sets of 12 tracks each - 1st being OKC and second being a mix of new album/older tunes. It's very unlikely but something fun to think about.

Sorry @jparx, my earlier post was basically exactly what you said here, I hadn't gone back through the thread to read the previous page at that point though!

So Radiohead have said they'd love to play glastonbury next year.

Emily Eavis said last year that she'd "love to book them for next year but obviously there's no confirmation yet"

So both Emily Eavis and Radiohead both want Radiohead to play glastonbury. What's stopping them from playing now? They now look more likely than ed sheeran, a dream come true. Hopefully they're the first band announced

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I wonder if the Eavii are wary of booking a headliner too early after being lumbered with Muse last year. Which itself was a reaction to the Who debacle of 2015.

Is this true? I mean I know The Who was obviously a mess but is there evidence they booked Muse because of that and/or that they were annoyed with that? Because although they aren't my favourite band by any stretch, people I spoke to generally enjoyed them.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I wonder if the Eavii are wary of booking a headliner too early after being lumbered with Muse last year. Which itself was a reaction to the Who debacle of 2015.

I doubt they felt "lumbered" with having one of the biggest bands in the world (pretty much the second biggest current UK band after Coldplay) headlining their festival.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

So Radiohead have said they'd love to play glastonbury next year.

Emily Eavis said last year that she'd "love to book them for next year but obviously there's no confirmation yet"

So both Emily Eavis and Radiohead both want Radiohead to play glastonbury. What's stopping them from playing now? They now look more likely than ed sheeran, a dream come true. Hopefully they're the first band announced

Radiohead have always looked more likely than Ed Sheeran to be honest. Ed Sheeran was just general assumptions - Neil actually heard form a guy months ago that Radiohead would headline. Ed's comments from yesterday don't really change anything on that front, other than just reiterating that they want to play.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

I doubt they felt "lumbered" with having one of the biggest bands in the world (pretty much the second biggest current UK band after Coldplay) headlining their festival.

I think what he's getting at is that they were a very uninspired booking and had they waited longer they could have bagged someone a lot more interesting. I.e. Radiohead :P

54 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think what he's getting at is that they were a very uninspired booking and had they waited longer they could have bagged someone a lot more interesting. I.e. Radiohead :P

That was what I was getting at. That Muse booking felt so uninspired, especially as everyone knew they had Coldplay lined up too. I wonder if they rushed out to grab a safe pair of hands in the wake of The Who fiasco and the Kanye controversy without stopping to see who was actually out there.

I'm actually a fan of Muse, or at least was until 2-3 albums ago, but I have to admit I found last year's set dull.

On 10/9/2016 at 4:48 PM, eFestivals said:

I've been 99.99% on it since the roses announced dates for next summer.

It was really only that I didn't particularly expect the Roses to be active next summer as they'd been active this summer which cast doubts on the info I had of RH & Roses in the first place.

Just curious if you are 99.99% on it, why aren't they 'TBC' yet?

If Radiohead are booked I don't see them being announced until the lineup announcement in Spring.
That's when the festival will want to announce them.
Can't see them being in any rush to officially announce any earlier and going against the festival's wishes.

31 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

Just curious if you are 99.99% on it, why aren't they 'TBC' yet?

because my info is from June and might have changed, and my 99.99% is more hunch in conclusion than confirming other-info, and I'm being mega cautious after the coldplay cock-up ... and it came from Michael's lips.

I can't go telling you lot to be wary of stuff Michael's said and then dive full in myself. :P

But i do think in this instance it's right.

Never been huge on Radiohead - not because I disliked them, just never really listened to them. I have the bends album and a couple of the other tracks from greatest hits on my music but just started listening to Reckoner, Let Down and Bodysnatcher and they're bloody brilliant. That reckoner riff is something else!

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

because my info is from June and might have changed, and my 99.99% is more hunch in conclusion than confirming other-info, and I'm being mega cautious after the coldplay cock-up ... and it came from Michael's lips.

I can't go telling you lot to be wary of stuff Michael's said and then dive full in myself. :P

But i do think in this instance it's right.

So it was actually Michael himself who told you Radiohead and Stone Rose were headlining? Not sure if that makes me more or less confident in it haha :P

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Yeah I know, but despite how we felt about the booking it was still a very strong one that any festival would have wanted to bag and Glastonbury will have been very happy to have secured, so they definitely won't be changing their approach to stop it happening again.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

he didn't tell me, tho I believe he told some people, and one of them told me.

Ah OK. It would be a pretty good job if they managed to get both Radiohead and the Roses signed up a full year in advance. I wonder if they trying to get things sewn up a lot earlier now after what's happened in the past few years?

Here is my dream Radiohead 2017 setlist, not asking for much I hope ^_^

Burn The Witch
Daydreamer
Ful Stop
2 + 2 = 5
I Might Be Wrong
Pyramid Song
Planet Telex
My Iron Lung
Just
Climbing Up The Walls
The National Anthem
How To Disappear Completely
Reckoner
Everything In Its Right Place
Idioteque

- Encore 1 -

15 Step
Bodysnatchers
Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Optimistic
There There

- Encore 2 -
Paranoid Android
Karma Police
Creep
Fake Plastic Trees
Motion Picture Soundtrack

Edited by BlackHole2006

7 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Here is my dream Radiohead 2017 setlist, not asking for much I hope ^_^

Burn The Witch
Daydreamer
Ful Stop
2 + 2 = 5
I Might Be Wrong
Pyramid Song
Planet Telex
My Iron Lung
Just
Climbing Up The Walls
The National Anthem
How To Disappear Completely
Pyramid Song
Reckoner
Everything In Its Right Place
Idioteque

- Encore 1 -

15 Step
Bodysnatchers
Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Optimistic
There There

- Encore 2 -
Paranoid Android
Karma Police
Creep
Fake Plastic Trees
Motion Picture Soundtrack

You must really love Pyramid Song! I guess it does deserve to be played twice on the Pyramid stage.