Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calvin Harris is an odd one. On the face of it he's unlikely to do it, but its difficult to articulate why.

Maybe because the live shows of the dance headliners who have done it - Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, possibly Daft Punk - use a lot of the visual language and dynamics of rock music.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

Agree, Calvin Harris would pull a hell of a crowd on the Pyramid. Thankfully though that alone isn't reason enough for him to be booked, and there'd be no other reason for him to be.

The biggest artist in a hugely popular scene and briefly the biggest UK artist going are certainly reasons for him to be booked. Think he's past relevance now though so we've dodged that one.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Calvin Harris is an odd one. On the face of it he's unlikely to do it, but its difficult to articulate why.

Maybe because the libe shows of the dance headliners who have done it - Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, possibly Daft Punk - use a lot of the visual language and dynamics of rock music.

Also those three you mentioned tend to have at least some variety between their songs. If you were to play instrumental versions of a lot of Calvin Harris' songs you wouldn't know which was which. Although in fairness the two songs he's put out so far from his next album have been a little bit different to his usual formula (even if still equally bland).

7 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Sorry if it came across as snobby, I just meant his dance music is more suited to places like V, whereas Daft Punk are the sort of dance musicians that have a wider appeal.

It's not about being snobby, that's pretty much standard on here :P, it's just as others have pointed out he is a huge act that would definitely draw a big crowd at Glastonbury. I've learnt my lesson in the 18 months since I've been a member on this site that you really shouldn't underestimate acts like Calvin Harris when it comes to drawing crowds at Glastonbury. 

He's shit and I wouldn't be anywhere near it, but tens of thousands of people would be there and love it.

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Your phone is now automatically capitalising the start of 'substance' because it's expecting you to be on about New Order.

Haha what can I say?? Guilty as charged.

Now I am listening to homework and about 3/4 of the way through. Now granted I am cleaning shit in work and listening on headphones so maybe not the best environment to judge it properly.

Its pretty good, in fact I would say it is right up my street. I would love to watch them at Glastonbury. The production is fantastic and I can only wish to come up with something like this. Yet there is nothing groundbreaking imo about it. It is not pioneering dance music. Its a million miles away from Leftism. Its pretty funky and well produced disco house type stuff. Now I appreciate they have a couple of huge hands in the air anthems but after listening to this and the alive album, then I think they would die on their arses headlining the pyramid. There is just not enough cross over appeal. Headline Creamfields, fair enough. 

People dissing Calvin Harris is a bit mad. If he managed to get some of the vocalists who had performed his songs on stage, sang himself, automated his tunes live like DP do and maybe a few live musicians to go along with the sequences, imo he would get a better reaction that DP.

Now I know hes not hip on here but he gets a rough ride and I don't think its justified.

Edited by eastynh

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Haha what can I say?? Guilty as charged.

Now I am listening to homework and about 3/4 of the way through. Now granted I am cleaning shit in work and listening on headphones so maybe not the best environment to judge it properly.

Its pretty good, in fact I would say it is right up my street. I would love to watch them at Glastonbury. The production is fantastic and I can only wish to come up with something like this. Yet there is nothing groundbreaking imo about it. It is not pioneering dance music. Its a million miles away from Leftism. Its pretty funky and well produced disco house type stuff. Now I appreciate they have a couple of huge hands in the air anthems but after listening to this and the alive album, then I think they would die on their arses headlining the pyramid. There is just not enough cross over appeal. Headline Creamfields, fair enough. 

People dissing Calvin Harris is a bit mad. If he managed to get some of the vocalists who had performed his songs on stage show, sang himself, automated his tines live like DP do and maybe a few live musicians to ho along with the sequences, imo he would get a better reaction that DP.

Now I know hes not hip on here but he gets a rough ride and I don't think its justified.

Calvin Harris literally never ever does that when he plays live though. He turns up, plays his albums from start to finish, lets off a confetti canon every time there's a drop, and then leaves. He doesn't even sing live on the tracks he sings the vocal on let alone get any guest vocalists out.

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You don't know Da Funk? 

I listened to that clip and I'd never heard that song before, but it's not surprising cos I don't listen to any music of that ilk. I'm guessing eastynh is the same. eastynh seems to be going down the same route I did a few weeks back ... discovering on efestivals that Daft Punk are a big name.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not just on here, though.

Ye, I believe that. Its funny, there was a guy on here today or yesterday questioning whether Radiohead were actually that popular outside of this site. That's mental from where I'm coming from, but it really shows it depends what crowd or walks of life you are in.

I wonder if you could argue that had DP not released Get Lucky and Lose Yourself to Dance they woukd perhaps not quite be Pyramid headliners, but those singles pushed them over the edge. There's no denying that a fair chunk of people at the festival will be watching them on the strength of those singles and One More Time.

2 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Ye, I believe that. Its funny, there was a guy on here today or yesterday questioning whether Radiohead were actually that popular outside of this site. That's mental from where I'm coming from, but it really shows it depends what crowd or walks of life you are in.

i can guarantee that Radiohead getting announced as a headliner will result in a huge 'who?' from a large portion of people i know going, many of whom were convinced to try this year by the Adele/Coldplay combo of last year

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

I wonder if you could argue that had DP not released Get Lucky and Lose Yourself to Dance they woukd perhaps not quite be Pyramid headliners, but those singles pushed them over the edge. There's no denying that a fair chunk of people at the festival will be watching them on the strength of those singles and One More Time.

Aye, if they were coming back without having released anything since Human After All they'd be in a very similar situation to LCD this year.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

i can guarantee that Radiohead getting announced as a headliner will result in a huge 'who?' from a large portion of people i know going, many of whom were convinced to try this year by the Adele/Coldplay combo of last year

Some people haven't even heard their name? That surprises me unless they are teenagers or less. I know a few people in their low twenties and I think I've heard the word 'Radiohead' uttered by them all (and there's not many bands you could say that about)

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Aye, if they were coming back without having released anything since Human After All they'd be in a very similar situation to LCD this year.

I reckon that a lot of the anticipation will be driven by the reputation of the 2007 tour.

At least, amongst the older punters.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

A few of my friends are coming for the first time this year and they know nothing of Radiohead apart from the name. I'm really going to discourage them from watching them with us because I know they will hate it, especially if it's the first they have heard from them.

44 minutes ago, jparx said:

Harder Better and Around The World also, surely? So they have at least five more massive mainstream hits than some recent Pyramid headliners have had. Plus people would most likely recognise Technologic if they played it. And then they'll have the inevitably massive comeback single they put out before the festival too. It certainly won't be Metallica mark two.

49 minutes ago, jparx said:

A few of my friends are coming for the first time this year and they know nothing of Radiohead apart from the name. I'm really going to discourage them from watching them with us because I know they will hate it, especially if it's the first they have heard from them.

Its strange to think that there are people who dont know of them 

I am really interested to see who everyone will be desperate to headline in 2018 and 2019 if Daft Punk, Radiohead and Roses play this year. I'm talking about people on here of course. There has been a massive clamour for those three to play on here, over the last few years. 

53 minutes ago, jparx said:

It's a funny ol' thing. I have a very music orientated friends group and everyone knows who they are but only 2 people I know like them. One of the biggest bands in the world but always catches me out when I meet someone who likes them!