Clash Helper

maelzoid

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Live in the moment - I know many will disagree on this but I was bored during Stevie Wonder and it ended my night on a wimper when I wanted to go and watch Orbital then Magnetic Man but no one else did so followed them.

Although the above is not the perfect example of this (Orbital weren't exactly new) I do think it is much better to watch an act in their prime than reminiscing with a heritage act.

5 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

No I agree entirely, but I also agree with Stu that Flo Po is on fire right now, compared to an ageing member of a duo who wants to play in a smaller venue to protect a broken voice 

Probably depends on whether you're a fan or not of a heritage act's classic work.

If you've got little interest in S&G anyway then there's probably no point, but if you dig their back catalogue then surely the prospect of seeing one of them singing the living daylights out of things For Emily Wherever I May Find Her is going to be preferable to whatever flavour of the month happens to clash.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If he went to listen to the long drops being emptied he would still have made the right choice.

True. But he didn't know that beforehand when he made the decision...

Still, if 2016 kills Bentley Rhythm Ace, he'll be able to say "I was there!"

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The people who went to went to see Basement Jaxx instead of Bowie have your back.

That'd be me then. 

Basement Jaxx were great, while Bowie was trying to recreate the glory days 20 years after his prime. I prefer to remember my heroes while they were still great. 

Which is exactly why I wouldn't see Art Garfunkle. Not as bad as expected considering his age and voice is really pretty damning. 

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It wasn't intended to be damning.  It's complimentary.  It would be absolutely extraordinary if he still possessed the bell-like soprano of an adolescent, so the fact that he doesn't but can still do the songs justice makes him worth seeing if you have a fondness for his early work.

Yeah, I can understand that. 

It's just that personally I don't like seeing bands I've loved doing poorer versions of their own songs, unless they can bring something new to the table. I've foregone a lot of band reunions for that reason. 

Need to agree to disagree on that one, then.  I'm cock-a-hoop at going to see storied, veteran performers like Ronnie Spector.

I'll be seeing a lot of new stuff as well, but I'm far from of the opinion that just because something is freshly minted it's inherently superior to stuff that's been a few times round the block.

I also don't think good and bad performances are necessarily time or age dependent. An excellent act delivering at 75% with a patina of history and memory layering their performance is better than a mediocre act giving it 100% with all the vigour of youth.