Clash Helper

maelzoid

More than any other year, this is the year of clashes for me.  I'm looking down the barrel of a 5-way clash on Friday night and don't know how that will resolve itself, oh well..

On Friday I have a 2-way.  Art Garfunkel vs. Chvrches.  I am a big fan of S&G but not Art's solo stuff and without Paul Simon, not sure how great it will be.  I also think that this will be a one and only opportunity to see him.  But recently I've been enjoying the Chvrches album a lot and on Saturday night think their show will be far more high energy than Art singing about rabbits.  I'm loath to see half of each act - I'm a full set kind of guy.

has anyone seen these acts and can offer guidance... ie could you say "____" are utter shit live, or "______" are incredible live. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, maelzoid said:

More than any other year, this is the year of clashes for me.  I'm looking down the barrel of a 5-way clash on Friday night and don't know how that will resolve itself, oh well..

On Friday I have a 2-way.  Art Garfunkel vs. Chvrches.  I am a big fan of S&G but not Art's solo stuff and without Paul Simon, not sure how great it will be.  I also think that this will be a one and only opportunity to see him.  But recently I've been enjoying the Chvrches album a lot and on Saturday night think their show will be far more high energy than Art singing about rabbits.  I'm loath to see half of each act - I'm a full set kind of guy.

has anyone seen these acts and can offer guidance... ie could you say "____" are utter shit live, or "______" are incredible live. 

Sod them both and see Floating Points.

Sorry, not helping :)

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sod them both and see Floating Points.

Sorry, not helping :)

Here's the thing... Following on from the FP thread elsewhere I spotified them, and damn it if the jazzy new stuff isn't exactly the kind of thing I could get into... I think I won't listen to any more new artists unless I'm sure they don't clash with someone else...

I'm going to be leaving Tame Impala, pretty much after Let It Happen, to make sure I'm over to see the whole of Chvrches. They were brilliant in Glasgow a few months back and I think they'll nail that sub slot. 

Their Bonnaroo performance got great reviews too. 

+1 for Chvrches 

9 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

if it were me I'd say go for Art, simply because Chvrches are much easier to see again and will probably play Glasto again very soon

i can't see Art making another appearance for a while/ever again

also Chvches is a stupid name so that doesn't help their cause

3 minutes ago, sloseph said:

if it were me I'd say go for Art, simply because Chvrches are much easier to see again and will probably play Glasto again very soon

i can't see Art making another appearance for a while/ever again

also Chvches is a stupid name so that doesn't help their cause

I believe they stuck the 'v' in to assist with showing up first on search engines, which is actually quite savvy. 

aye, Chvrches and Floating Points are gonna be popping up at festivals constantly for the next decade or so whereas who knows how long Art's got left? although like you i'm not familiar enough with any of his solo stuff for it to be worth my while if i'm honest so the decision is made a little easier for me (still sucks, mind)

I'm probably going to see Will Young instead of Art. I like S&G, but I don't know that I want to see him solo, I'd only be in it for S&G songs, and I know nothing of any solo stuff he's done. Apart from the bunnies one, I think. 

So I'll probably go to see Will. I've seen him a couple of times before so that goes against my first rule of clashes, but he is always great fun, is excellent live, and I don't think I'll be too pissed off if I miss Art. I'd rather watch Art on tv when I get home and need a bit of a sob!! 

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I believe they stuck the 'v' in to assist with showing up first on search engines, which is actually quite savvy. 

yeah i get why they did it but my suggestion would be pick a more creative band name if you're worried about search listings

it's just one of those things that grinds my gears far more than it probably should

Just now, FloorFiller said:

aye, Chvrches and Floating Points are gonna be popping up at festivals constantly for the next decade or so whereas who knows how long Art's got left? although like you i'm not familiar enough with any of his solo stuff for it to be worth my while if i'm honest so the decision is made a little easier for me (still sucks, mind)

At his own gigs he did, like, Bright Eyes and maybe one other solo song.

Still, no idea why I'm encouraging more people to go.  It'll be mobbed enough as it is.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You'll feel like a right berk when towards the end of the year 2016 does a 2016 on Art G while Floating Points is playing your local microvenue on a biannual basis for the next 2 decades. 

Probably, but fuck it.  Going to see someone just because they're rare is no way to live your life when Floating Points are on fire NOW.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The people who went to went to see Basement Jaxx instead of Bowie have your back.

If it was Simon & Garfunkel then you'd be closer to having a point, but Art G himself is hardly going go down as one of the most historic gigs in Glastonbury history. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Perhaps not. But then is Chvrches or Floating Points?

No I agree entirely, but I also agree with Stu that Flo Po is on fire right now, compared to an ageing member of a duo who wants to play in a smaller venue to protect a broken voice