Women only venue

budvar

personally i dont think glasto or any festi need a women / male / trans/ queer /bloody normal spaces ........even gay pride to my knowledge has separate areas .........soz if you disagree but hey its a festi not some strange female/male comune

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote a great big long response to this and then deleted it as I cant be bothered but were it a proper nighttime/gig space with majority female crowd then it would be great. You can actually see the stage, you're not being crushed against other men, you're not having to keep half an eye on whats going on around you and not on the stage. It feels really different and empowering and communal. 

I'm sure it wont be like that though so dont fret men, you wont miss out.

On Friday, June 03, 2016 at 4:00 PM, 6t6o6m said:

Interesting, I wonder how busy it will get seeing as a majority of the people at the festival will be with a mixed bunch of friends. 

I thought that too.

13 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I wrote a great big long response to this and then deleted it as I cant be bothered but were it a proper nighttime/gig space with majority female crowd then it would be great. You can actually see the stage, you're not being crushed against other men, you're not having to keep half an eye on whats going on around you and not on the stage. It feels really different and empowering and communal. 

I'm sure it wont be like that though so dont fret men, you wont miss out.

I would have liked to read the long response. This is one of the few posts that actually explains why such a place may be desirable.

Do you feel on guard at Glastonbury? Does groping go on there like at high street clubs? As a man, I usually walk around feeling invincible.

38 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I would have liked to read the long response. This is one of the few posts that actually explains why such a place may be desirable.

Do you feel on guard at Glastonbury? Does groping go on there like at high street clubs? As a man, I usually walk around feeling invincible.

*Dons mansplaining cap* It'd be naive to think that Glastonbury is immune to that sort of thing, it being a large mainstream festival. But the selling point isn't going to be "come in here because it's the only place you can be free of groping", it's promoting the idea of women's circles/spaces to women who may not ever come across them or think to go in otherwise, which would be worthwhile even if Glastonbury was a utopia completely devoid of all misogyny.

Maybe its needed because to have certain discussions and openness, the people in the discussion need to feel safe first (and that is psychologically, physically and emotionally). Theres elements here that, to the people involved, will be far bigger and all consuming than something they will happily bring up in a room full of people which will undoubtedly contain tourists and people hiding from the rain.

If it doesnt affect you, but supports and puts at ease someone that it does, then does it matter that you cant attend? And if it does affect you, then youre already on the invite list.

The fact that the people involved feel its needed, means its needed. It isnt done just so people can get together and agree that men are all bad.

7 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

*Dons mansplaining cap* It'd be naive to think that Glastonbury is immune to that sort of thing, it being a large mainstream festival. But the selling point isn't going to be "come in here because it's the only place you can be free of groping", it's promoting the idea of women's circles/spaces to women who may not ever come across them or think to go in otherwise, which would be worthwhile even if Glastonbury was a utopia completely devoid of all misogyny.

I get that, but I was interested in what Kate said, because as far as I could tell, that was the first time it had been brought up on the thread.

6 hours ago, gizmoman said:

It's clearly a wind-up, " DIY power tools workshops " gives it away. If that doesn't prove it the next line about a black women's only group surely does. How far down the segregationist road do they have to go before people realise how ridiculous it is?

It doesn't say for "black women only". It just says "a forum for black women".

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I shudder to think what the commenters on the Mail site would make of it.

I dunno, the Mail's BTL comments are exactly the sort of ignorant bleating you'd expect, but the Graun's is ignorant bleating by people who all think they're Noam Chomsky. It's why Frankie Boyle's column is doing so well.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It doesn't say for "black women only". It just says "a forum for black women".

It's like that uniform dating site.

That's a forum for black women.. and people who might neither be black nor a woman.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Glastonbury version of Lewis's Law:

Comments on The Sisterhood justify The Sisterhood.

Since this is part of media hell, I do think it's satire, but it's not satirising women only 'safe spaces', it's satirising the social media reaction to it.  All you pissy white men throwing a tantrum because a micro venue excludes you - you're the joke!  As one of the elite straight, white men I never feel the need for a place exclusive to other men, but why would I?  The entire world is my playground.  Once I've spent a few years being a woman, I might feel vaguely qualified to have an opinion on whether women might need such a space. But short of a hilarious Quantum Leap mixup, that's not going to happen.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Since this is part of media hell, I do think it's satire, but it's not satirising women only 'safe spaces', it's satirising the social media reaction to it.  All you pissy white men throwing a tantrum because a micro venue excludes you - you're the joke!  As one of the elite straight, white men I never feel the need for a place exclusive to other men, but why would I?  The entire world is my playground.  Once I've spent a few years being a woman, I might feel vaguely qualified to have an opinion on whether women might need such a space. But short of a hilarious Quantum Leap mixup, that's not going to happen.

This. ^^

Nicely put, stu. :)

Next up, will we have someone claiming here that freedom to choose is a leftish ideal? Oh no, that was last week, but the focus on me-me-me still seems to be hanging around. ;)

3 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

That's disappointing. I was fine with it as I thought it was just usual Shangri La satire. 

I think it is.  I can't believe everyone is taking it at face value.  That's not to say it's a criticism of such places, but it seems obvious to me that the primary motivation for the venue is social commentary, not out of a burning need for a woman only place at Glastonbury.