Women only venue

budvar

I am a little against this as I would hope that everyone would feel welcomed and safe at the festival. Also how about trans-men? 

If this space is needed at Glastonbury then a huge education opportunity is being missed.

I learned so much in the greenfield etc. by talking to people so hugely different to myself. It broadened my mind so much and I really feel this could be a way to learn more in a respectful manner. 

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Equality is all well and good provided you're operating on a level playing field to begin with, unfortunately our society isn't

I know why these things exist, but was a little sad to think that Glastonbury is somewhere it also needs to exist.

10 minutes ago, Spindles said:

This is Shangri-la.  I suspect that that is rather the point.  Corrupting the message is what they do there.

And in that case I get it, but I don't think the media/some people are seeing it that way...

5 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Equality is all well and good provided you're operating on a level playing field to begin with, unfortunately our society isn't

Yes but I don't think the correct way to counter it is by doing the same thing but the opposite way. "Two wrongs don't make a right" blah blah.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I know why these things exist, but was a little sad to think that Glastonbury is somewhere it also needs to exist.

Perhaps it only "needs" to exist in the sense that Glastonbury is a microcosm of society as whole and by creating the space it sends a message that they continue to be useful.

15 minutes ago, zico martin said:

what is the point then, seriously? Is Male and Female really an acceptable way to categorise people these days? How do discrimitary areas like this affect transgender people? 

It's quite clear that it's open to anyone self-identifying as a woman. So trans-women but technically not trans-men.

Also presumably not anyone who identifies outside of a binary gender but that's a whole other can of worms...

I'm a bloke who has donated to feminist causes amongst others before as I personally want any successes in my life to be based on hard work as opposed to my gender, age, race etc. and I think it's important to have stuff like this. I've never seen many problems with Glasto before and always think it's a very inclusive event, slightly peeved that I might be missing out on something if there's live music and DJs. It just doesn't quite feel in the Glasto spirit.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It doesn't *need* to exist at the festival, however the festival is a great place for exchanging ideas and gaining motivation (see: Leftfield).  Therefore it exists.  That's how I'm taking it anyway.  I'll be having a wander in.

2 minutes ago, OneLittleFish said:

slightly peeved that I might be missing out on something if there's live music and DJs. It just doesn't quite feel in the Glasto spirit.

While I agree, NYC Downlow chargers a charity donation for the mustache, Underground Piano Bar has a random door policy, Bread & Roses reserve the right to remove you if you're not drinking their booze, etc.

It's not the only place.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

While I agree, NYC Downlow chargers a charity donation for the mustache, Underground Piano Bar has a random door policy, Bread & Roses reserve the right to remove you if you're not drinking their booze, etc.

It's not the only place.

I'd have loved to see a venue that heavily promotes feminist/trans causes within Shangri-La, much as the same way that the Greenpeace fields operate. Anyone's welcome to wander in and find out more about the issues on the subject and to educate themselves. Have live music, have the likes of 50/50 Government and other causes there in a very visible sense alongside the entertainment. I love the spirit behind the idea, I'm not sure about the execution of it. There's a misconception (and a really stupid one) amongst some people that feminism equates to anti-male. It's nothing of the sort and the more people that are exposed to the truth the better IMO.

I don't have a huge problem with the charity donation for a mustache as it's not for profit but goes to a good cause but I think Glasto should be there for everyone.

Edited by OneLittleFish

I can understand the need for places like this in our society where there is a lack of education and tolerance towards many minority groups as a place to seek support etc. However, at a festival which celebrates individuality, eccentricity, alternative views and ways we could live our lives differently etc. (this list could go on and on) why create an area which is not accessible to all? Seems a bit against the grain to me.

Would it not be better to create a space at the festival accessible to all in which to educate many more people (not just women or those who identify themselves as female) on the issues that our society faces in regards to gender inequality?

1 minute ago, OneLittleFish said:

I'd have loved to see a venue that heavily promotes feminist/trans causes within Shangri-La, much as the same way that the Greenpeace fields operate. Anyone's welcome to wander in and find out more about the issues on the subject and to educate themselves. Have live music, have the likes of 50/50 Government and other causes there in a very visible sense alongside the entertainment. I love the spirit behind the idea, I'm not sure about the execution of it.

Because as soon as PJ Harvey takes to the stage for her secret set it'll be full of nothing but those white cis men that they have these days.

10 minutes ago, OneLittleFish said:

I'd have loved to see a venue that heavily promotes feminist/trans causes within Shangri-La, much as the same way that the Greenpeace fields operate. Anyone's welcome to wander in and find out more about the issues on the subject and to educate themselves. Have live music, have the likes of 50/50 Government and other causes there in a very visible sense alongside the entertainment. I love the spirit behind the idea, I'm not sure about the execution of it. There's a misconception (and a really stupid one) amongst some people that feminism equates to anti-male. It's nothing of the sort and the more people that are exposed to the truth the better IMO.

I don't have a huge problem with the charity donation for a mustache as it's not for profit but goes to a good cause but I think Glasto should be there for everyone.

I think the point of this is exactly to spur this kind of discussion. People naturally feel put out by being specifically excluded, so it's inviting you to think about spaces/areas that women may be (explicitly/implicitly/figuratively) excluded from in everyday life.

Think it's working

Just now, Pbird81 said:

I think the point of this is exactly to spur this kind of discussion. People naturally feel put out by being specifically excluded, so it's inviting you to think about spaces/areas that women may be (explicitly/implicitly/figuratively) excluded from in everyday life.

Think it's working

But I do already?

Information is the antidote to ignorance - I just don't think this is the way to spread information best.

4 minutes ago, Pbird81 said:

Think it's working

Really like this response :) 

Whilst I'm against exclusive areas of Glastonbury (posted about this just today in another thread), I think this is a great, visible, discussion starter about an issue that is becoming increasingly (not decreasingly as some people seem to think) prevalent in today's society. 

And gender inequality still exists at Glastonbury, just as it does everywhere else. 

3 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

From the official site:

THE SISTERHOOD
Every Media Hell needs a healthy does of Separatism to get the blood boiling!
Strictly No Men Allowed.
Reject the patriarchy. Join the Sisterhood. Party on.

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/shangri-la/shangri-hells-occupied-corporate-headquarters/

So it is a classic Shangri-La number. Which is good. It seems it is being reported by the media as entirely serious however...

16 minutes ago, OneLittleFish said:

But I do already?

So it's not aimed at you.

4 minutes ago, willsnewman said:

So it is a classic Shangri-La number. Which is good. It seems it is being reported by the media as entirely serious however...

Reading the blurb in the NME story and looking at their Twitter feed, I think it is serious, yes.

Explaining the aims of the space, the venue's organisers said: "The producers of The Sisterhood believe that women only spaces are necessary in a world that is still run by and designed to benefit mainly men. Oppression against women continues in various manifestations around the world today, in different cultural contexts.

"In the UK, the gender pay gap in the workplace, cuts to domestic violence services and sex worker rights are current talking points that highlight this issue. Sisterhood seeks to provide a secret space for women to connect, network, share their stories, have fun and learn the best way to support each other in our global struggle to end oppression against women and all marginalised people, whilst showcasing the best and boldest female talent in the UK and beyond."

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So it's not aimed at you.

Reading the blurb in the NME story and looking at their Twitter feed, I think it is serious, yes.

I still feel like it could be a shangri-la spin on the way they're describing it. And people are gobbling it up? I don't know. It's an awkward one and it is a serious issue, but now I believe it is a just a SL twist on the issue. It's working as far as discussion is going, but if it was for real I wouldn't agree with the venue.