Lineup 2018

16 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Weird to think so recently we had SOAD and NIN subbing in the same year. That would just never happen anymore.

Or someone like The Cure headlining, or Limp Bizkit, Cypress Hill and Weezer all playing back to back. And then something like NIN subbing Smashing Pumpkins like in 2007 would definitely never happen in this day and age.

It's also weird to think that Muse and Eminem have been releasing music for a longer period than when Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins were when they headlined in the mid '00s, yet the latter two seemed much more longer established  and more "vintage" than Muse and Eminem do now.

9 minutes ago, VCK said:

Or someone like The Cure headlining, or Limp Bizkit, Cypress Hill and Weezer all playing back to back. And then something like NIN subbing Smashing Pumpkins like in 2007 would definitely never happen in this day and age.

It's also weird to think that Muse and Eminem have been releasing music for a longer period than when Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins were when they headlined in the mid '00s, yet the latter two seemed much more longer established  and more "vintage" than Muse and Eminem do now.

I'm not sure about vintage but Muse and Eminem absolutely seem very long established to me, especially the latter. 

9 minutes ago, VCK said:

'14 was the turning point for sure, although ATDI into Korn is a pleasant surprise. I'd say whenever Muse or Eminem release new material it will always get a shite load of airplay, whereas Pearl Jams relevance died with the whole grunge scene.

Just now, Odessa said:

I'm not sure about vintage but Muse and Eminem absolutely seem very long established to me, especially the latter. 

Maybe it's because they're still "current", whereas Pearl Jam and the Pumpkins are almost completely defined by their early-mid 90s work.

Just now, Steve1000 said:

'14 was the turning point for sure, although ATDI into Korn is a pleasant surprise. I'd say whenever Muse or Eminem release new material it will always get a shite load of airplay, whereas Pearl Jams relevance died with the whole grunge scene.

Yeah, I'd say the 2014 line up was the point where the festival really began to focus heavily on music that was currently popular. Not to say that this hasn't been mostly the case, even with the classic '90s and early '00s line ups, but I do think a couple more well established acts in higher main stage slots would really make a difference to the strength of a line-up.

Madness being booked for a Main Stage slot is something else that just won't happen these days.

7 minutes ago, VCK said:

Yeah, I'd say the 2014 line up was the point where the festival really began to focus heavily on music that was currently popular. Not to say that this hasn't been mostly the case, even with the classic '90s and early '00s line ups, but I do think a couple more well established acts in higher main stage slots would really make a difference to the strength of a line-up.

Madness being booked for a Main Stage slot is something else that just won't happen these days.

The thing is, if Madness did get booked it'd go down a storm IMO.

Might've already been posted but there's a survey going around from the festival and it seems to show the pool of artists they'd consider headline material, as well as a few names they could be looking at for 2018.

red1.PNG

red2.PNG

On 02/07/2017 at 7:25 PM, Will-2609 said:

Paramore at BST, BMTH at Download, Kendrick at Wireless.

The timings so perfect for Kendrick tho, if not now then when will they ever get a non-Eminem rapper to headline? Wireless can have ASAP Rocky / Stormzy / Major Lazed

I think Royal Blood and Kendrick Lamar in the same year would look a bit weak to some. And it would be a big pair of coheadliners so can't see that either although it's not impossible. I feel like it's one or the other despite them being completely different acts, and RB are a lot more likely. Kendrick at Wireless makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I think Royal Blood and Kendrick Lamar in the same year would look a bit weak to some. And it would be a big pair of coheadliners so can't see that either although it's not impossible. I feel like it's one or the other despite them being completely different acts, and RB are a lot more likely. Kendrick at Wireless makes sense.

They're not that weak though, and with an Arctics or Foos and a decent enough undercard would make it not shite, certainly better than '15. Hopefully this year sells awfully and they learn their lesson. I expect RB to co-head since they really don't need the longer set

Just now, Steve1000 said:

They're not that weak though, and with an Arctics or Foos and a decent enough undercard would make it not shite, certainly better than '15. Hopefully this year sells awfully and they learn their lesson. I expect RB to co-head since they really don't need the longer set

I'd be happy to see it happen, don't get me wrong. I just think they'll go for one new headliner rather than two. 

4 hours ago, Rylbld9 said:

Might've already been posted but there's a survey going around from the festival and it seems to show the pool of artists they'd consider headline material, as well as a few names they could be looking at for 2018.

red1.PNG

red2.PNG

Surprised that they put Tool on the list of potential headliners, doubt most R&L goers nowadays would have heard of them, let alone be able to name some songs, a lot of the crowd will have been 5/6 when they last released any music so it's understandable.

Feeling that it will be something similar to the bellow, probably completely wrong though. Still think Royal Blood will Sub or Co headline max.

Paramore // Foos // Arctic Monkeys

Paramore w/ BMTH // Foos // QOTSA

Paramore // Foos // Killers

Killers // Arctic Monkeys // Foos

30stm, Royal Blood, and catfish to sub.

Still think SOAD and Prophets of Rage could be possible to sub. (one can hope.)

On 04/07/2017 at 6:18 PM, Rylbld9 said:

red1.PNG

red2.PNG

Why is the second one so shit and predictable yet the first one has a couple of decent leftfield names? 

On 04/07/2017 at 5:37 PM, VCK said:

Yeah, I'd say the 2014 line up was the point where the festival really began to focus heavily on music that was currently popular.

Liam Gallagher is subbing this year

On 04/07/2017 at 9:37 PM, Steve1000 said:

Hopefully this year sells awfully and they learn their lesson. 

Yeah would be interesting to know how the non-Eminem day tickets and weekend tickets are selling this year. Eminem day is very ordinary, to the extent the booking team would probably have got fired for it four/five years ago, but at least there are some hype acts like Migos and Glass Animals on the undercard. The barren wastelands of the Kasabian and Muse undercards are still shocking to me, even after all this time.

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Liam Gallagher is subbing this year

Yeah would be interesting to know how the non-Eminem day tickets and weekend tickets are selling this year. Eminem day is very ordinary, to the extent the booking team would probably have got fired for it four/five years ago, but at least there are some hype acts like Migos and Glass Animals on the undercard. The barren wastelands of the Kasabian and Muse undercards are still shocking to me, even after all this time.

Yeah but Liam's mainstream af. I think the Eminem days decent enough, Korn and ATDIs good, major lazors a pretty big sub, then as you say current hype acts. Also Frank and Marmozets in the tent. The other days though are abhorrent