Lineup 2018

7 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Friday Arcade Fire subbed by Queens of the Stone Age and The Libertines

Saturday Arctic Monkeys subbed by The Killers and Keane

Sunday Black Sabbath subbed by Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro and Evanescence

Is this another dream lineup like your download ting or is this a serious prediction?

Arcade Fire aren't a R&L band anymore, I don't think. 

Paramore / Twenty One Pilots / Panic! at the Disco / Run The Jewels 

Dizzee Rascal 

Royal Blood / Boy Better Know / Vampire Weekend / Jack Garratt 

Justice 

The Killers / The XX / Wolf Alice / Phoenix 

Don Broco

3 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Does anyone give enough  of a shite about him to headline the tent? I'm sure he never played this high when people did, although i guess he did West Holts this year

I thought nobody cared but his crowd looked massive at Glastonbury. It's the kind of booking I could imagine thinking WTF at and then him pulling a massive crowd. 

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I thought nobody cared but his crowd looked massive at Glastonbury. It's the kind of booking I could imagine thinking WTF at and then him pulling a massive crowd. 

Yeah but I don't think he'd convince anyone at all to buy a ticket so it would just be a waste

24 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Paramore / Twenty One Pilots / Panic! at the Disco / Run The Jewels 

Dizzee Rascal 

Royal Blood / Boy Better Know / Vampire Weekend / Jack Garratt 

Justice 

The Killers / The XX / Wolf Alice / Phoenix 

Don Broco

Its fine but stuff like The xx, Run the Jewels, Phoenix and Justice are all about this year and haven't been picked up so I don't expect them to be still available to R+L over a year later.

Don Broco (much like Brand New) I can see getting a big slot but not headlining the NME Stage. Just upper-mid main stage or something really. Stuff like YMAS and Limp Bizkit where they have headlined the NME have had much larger mainstream crossover than Don Broco.

43 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Melvin is good friends with their bookers, so I don't see why they're not 'Reading' anymore. 

Just now, Steve1000 said:

Because the general R+L audience wouldn't give a fuck about them

The same audience who have failed to sell out the festival for 5 years or so? People didn't care about them in 2010 supposedly too, yet it sold out on the day.

As I said before, if they want Glastonbury attendees coming they need to book bands that have fanbases over the age of 18. 

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

The same audience who have failed to sell out the festival for 5 years or so? People didn't care about them in 2010 supposedly too, yet it sold out on the day.

As I said before, if they want Glastonbury attendees coming they need to book bands that have fanbases over the age of 18. 

Reading does sell out 

if they want Glasto attendees then Arctics, Foos etc would do the trick, better than Arcade Fire.

also why would they book a lineup that's essentially a middle finger to their current audience just because of Glastonbury not happening, they'd lose significantly more than they'd gain 

2 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Reading does sell out 

if they want Glasto attendees then Arctics, Foos etc would do the trick, better than Arcade Fire.

also why would they book a lineup that's essentially a middle finger to their current audience just because of Glastonbury not happening, they'd lose significantly more than they'd gain 

It hasn't for donkeys years. Anyway they already did put up a middle finger to their attendees over the last few years, hence it's failure to sell out anymore. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

It hasn't for donkeys years. Anyway they already did put up a middle finger to their attendees over the last few years, hence it's failure to sell out anymore. 

What are you on about, it sold out last year? And them changing the lineup was a gradual process, and also because of changes in the music industry. If they completely changed their lineup, sure it might help them the one year, but then when glasto returns all that years attendees will have fucked off, and the teenagers will decide they like V instead because they're angry bands like arcade fire have been booked

Edited by Steve1000
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

A couple of years ago he opened for MUSE when I saw them in London (weird combo I know) but tbh he was a really good at hyping the crowd up. If I were booking him I wouldn't have him headlining the NME, I would have him third/forth on the main stage as a kind of hypeman lol.

Arctic Monkeys / BBK 

Foo Fighters / Enter Shikari

Kendrick Lamar / Royal Blood 

Not sure if Royal Blood will headline really. Depends on who they can get a hold of but then again I wouldn't rule them out but if R&L can get a trio like that then they're not going to pass it up for Royal Blood. Maybe they could co headline but I hate those so I didn't put it in my prediction. Also can see Paramore and Florence in the picture as well for next year.

Edited by justanothername

55 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

What are you on about, it sold out last year? And them changing the lineup was a gradual process, and also because of changes in the music industry. If they completely changed their lineup, sure it might help them the one year, but then when glasto returns all that years attendees will have fucked off, and the teenagers will decide they like V instead because they're angry bands like arcade fire have been booked

It 'sells out' because half the tickets are on viagogo/stubhub. If they had Glastonbury's ticket sales method, it would be interesting to see how many they sell then. I had a look at the website and tickets are still available and it's 2 months away. 

If you refuse to go to Reading just because they booked Arcade Fire, then good. Bring back the real music fans and not the drunk 16 year olds with rich parents. 

I don't see why they can't book all that Paramore, YMAS, lad rock garbage and then bands that appeal to Arcade Fire fans on the same line up, like they did in 2010. The reason Glastonbury sells out so much is the different styles of music that they cater to. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I do feel that R & L are struggling to establish an audience really as for Dance Music, Creamfields is loads better. For Rock, Download is the place for that, V has the chart music and Wireless has the rap/grime. Glasto books the best bands out of all these genres hence they get the figures and R & L tend to book the left overs that are not at those festivals. Reading needs to go back a few years and establish themselves as a rock, punk/pop punk and Indie festival for the figures to increase (in my opinion anyway.) 

Here's what i'm leaning towards this year:

Friday

BMTH // Pendulum // Enter Shikari

chase and status

Saturday

Foo Fighters // Royal Blood // Panic! at the Disco

Vampire Weekend 

Sunday

Paramore // 30STM // ADTR???

BBK

As for the friday headliner i think we could see either BMTH, QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys, Green Day??

• Upvote 2

TBH, I think R+L have got its own demographic and that is babys first fest. A good variety of stuff that is considered "cool" but isn't so tricky to get a ticket to like Glasto (and thought Ive never been to glasto, the crowds there all seem to be huge compared to the majority of the ones at R+L)

Just now, Andre91 said:

Pendulum aren't big enough to sub still, surely? They're headlining bloody Sundown Festival in Norwich to absolutely no fanfare. Their music is incredible dated and I don't think people are that bothered about them anymore. 

Shikari to sub doe :ninja: 

You've got a point, i love pendulum personally i'm going to sundown on the sunday just to see them and YMAS, even though the crowd will be terrible!

Would Love Shikari to Sub they are still my favourite live band and they could easily pull it off!

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

It 'sells out' because half the tickets are on viagogo/stubhub. If they had Glastonbury's ticket sales method, it would be interesting to see how many they sell then. I had a look at the website and tickets are still available and it's 2 months away. 

If you refuse to go to Reading just because they booked Arcade Fire, then good. Bring back the real music fans and not the drunk 16 year olds with rich parents. 

I don't see why they can't book all that Paramore, YMAS, lad rock garbage and then bands that appeal to Arcade Fire fans on the same line up, like they did in 2010. The reason Glastonbury sells out so much is the different styles of music that they cater to. 

What is a 'real music fan'? Is it just someone with your music taste? All sounds very elitist to me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

What is a 'real music fan'? Is it just someone with your music taste? All sounds very elitist to me. 

Someone who goes to a music festival because they like music. Simples. 

If one band prevents you from going, why bother?

23 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Someone who goes to a music festival because they like music. Simples. 

If one band prevents you from going, why bother?

I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that the statement 'real music fan' is used by so many people who think they are 'above' people based on their music taste. 

Looking back on it I think the context was slightly lost on me as I was only skim reading.

Edited by CRW5252

Arcade Fire would be insane, but honestly I expect that Latitude would book them. They fit the size of the headliners like Mumford and Sons that they got this year. I reckon it'll be:

Royal Blood/Florence and the Machine//Stormzy//Wolf Alice

Killers//Catfish and the Bottlemen//Vampire Weekend

Foo Fighters//Enter Shikari// Don Broco 

Ft. some dance shit like Chase and Status on the NME. 

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

Arcade Fire would be insane, but honestly I expect that Latitude would book them. They fit the size of the headliners like Mumford and Sons that they got this year. I reckon it'll be:

Royal Blood/Florence and the Machine//Stormzy//Wolf Alice

Killers//Catfish and the Bottlemen//Vampire Weekend

Foo Fighters//Enter Shikari// Don Broco 

Ft. some dance shit like Chase and Status on the NME. 

Seem to be the only one thinking that Royal Blood will sub not headline hmmm, just don't think they are big enough yet, to headline alone anyway.

Really hoping Killers aren't going haha

• Downvote 2