Lineup 2018

4 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

It 'sells out' because half the tickets are on viagogo/stubhub. If they had Glastonbury's ticket sales method, it would be interesting to see how many they sell then. I had a look at the website and tickets are still available and it's 2 months away. 

If you refuse to go to Reading just because they booked Arcade Fire, then good. Bring back the real music fans and not the drunk 16 year olds with rich parents. 

I don't see why they can't book all that Paramore, YMAS, lad rock garbage and then bands that appeal to Arcade Fire fans on the same line up, like they did in 2010. The reason Glastonbury sells out so much is the different styles of music that they cater to. 

Reading is good at what it does though and doesn't need to change. I do think however we need a festival like reading in that it books all genres but for 22+ year olds. Somewhere where say pearl jam, gorillaz etc could headline. I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted to do with TRNSMT but gave up after booking Radiohead and just booked the same bollocks T always had

Just now, Steve1000 said:

Reading is good at what it does though and doesn't need to change. I do think however we need a festival like reading in that it books all genres but for 22+ year olds. Somewhere where say pearl jam, gorillaz etc could headline. I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted to do with TRNSMT but gave up after booking Radiohead and just booked the same bollocks T always had

I would generally say that is what Glasto is...... The mean age is definitely way higher at glasto

9 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

That's what Reading was though, I don't see why it can't be again. There's a lot of genres that don't get covered much by others festivals, particularly alternative and punk, Reading used to be the festival for that but has focused too much on youth and 'trendy' music and not enough mix. I don't see how ten or so bands instead of the same repeats on the undercard would change anything majorly.  

7 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I would generally say that is what Glasto is...... The mean age is definitely way higher at glasto

True but it's not easy to get tickets. I think there's definitely market for the ex Reading, Glastonbury, ATP type audience in the UK. 

19 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Yeah, but I mean an alternative festival which doesn't book safe, mainstream shite at all, where you'd never see r Ed.

17 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

That's what Reading was though, I don't see why it can't be again. There's a lot of genres that don't get covered much by others festivals, particularly alternative and punk, Reading used to be the festival for that but has focused too much on youth and 'trendy' music and not enough mix. I don't see how ten or so bands instead of the same repeats on the undercard would change anything majorly.  

Yeah what I'm getting at is basically old Reading mixed with Primavera. But reading has always booked what is popular, so as rock declines and grime / edm rises, this is always what was going to happen

7 hours ago, battleborn said:

Friday Arcade Fire subbed by Queens of the Stone Age and The Libertines

Saturday Arctic Monkeys subbed by The Killers and Keane

Sunday Black Sabbath subbed by Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro and Evanescence

Surely you've got something better to do than troll on here. This is as stupid as the 40 song Killers setlist with a load of Christmas songs in.

4 minutes ago, battleborn said:

It would actually sell tickets though, unlike Reading's current line-up. I also don't see how it's stupid, the bands progress in order of fame in their slots. The bands are all good and would attract a decent crowd, maybe even the Glasto/ex-T goers which could be a huge market next year. This is the direction they need to go in. 

You do realise big acts cost money to book...? Honestly if you're trolling you're doing a good job, I'm not gonna get into it with you now but you're talking nonsense.

Just now, Steve1000 said:

Yeah, but I mean an alternative festival which doesn't book safe, mainstream shite at all, where you'd never see r Ed.

Yeah what I'm getting at is basically old Reading mixed with Primavera. But reading has always booked what is popular, so as rock declines and grime / edm rises, this is always what was going to happen

So basically, you want a festival like Download? I'm confused you want variety but only Rock? Or do you just not like Ed Sheeran (which would be really weird to bring up as its not like you wouldn't go to a fest just because of one booking).

Just now, battleborn said:

Yes, they do. But they also increase the amount people are willing to pay for a ticket, a line up like that could easily slap a £100 on a ticket with no bother whatsoever and still sell out. It also creates a proper demographic of rock fans for the festival going forward, seen as it's haemorrhaging it's past attendees to events like Download. 

Why is this an issue though? Both festivals are run by Festival Republic and by catering to the younger crowd they basically get double the festivals (as the hardcore rock people still go to Download anyways)

3 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Yes, they do. But they also increase the amount people are willing to pay for a ticket, a line up like that could easily slap a £100 on a ticket with no bother whatsoever and still sell out. It also creates a proper demographic of rock fans for the festival going forward, seen as it's haemorrhaging it's past attendees to events like Download. 

Fuck me, Download never sells out! Why would they do that? If they add £100 it wouldn't sell and they still couldn't afford a lineup of essentially entirely headliners, can't tell if your trolling because not 100% of the things u say are completely fucking ridiculous, probably like 88%

Just now, battleborn said:

It's not sustainable. If they continue to do it this way they'll run into the issues T in the Park ran into of turning into a festival full of drugged out teenagers who can't handle what they've taken and then get the same reputation, reducing ticket sales and getting proxy shut down by the councils they run it in. 

So you're saying that you can't have a festival aimed at teenagers because they're all druggies? Cause drugs should be tackled separately (testing stations, better searches etc.) rather than just saying that a whole age range shouldn't get a festival aimed at them....

22 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

So basically, you want a festival like Download? I'm confused you want variety but only Rock? Or do you just not like Ed Sheeran (which would be really weird to bring up as its not like you wouldn't go to a fest just because of one booking).

No not at all, download never books the likes of Pearl Jam, Gorillaz, Radiohead, The Strokes etc, and then there would still be EDM types like Chems for example. And I guess could still book some mainstream shite like Kings of Leon for example, basically old Reading yeah, with a tiny bit of Primavera. Mainly for people who've outgrown Reading, there is a gaping whole in the UK festival market for that type of thing. Also reading wouldn't book Ed now anyway 

1 hour ago, Chinaski_ said:

That's what Reading was though, I don't see why it can't be again. 

Because the popularity of that has fallen so much it could not sell 2 major festivals. I'm thinking a 70k ting. If R+L had stayed the same as it always was it would not sell nearly well as it does now

Edited by Steve1000
  • Downvote 1

@battleborn fuck me. The reason Slam Dunk sells out is because it is a shite load of bands for 60 quid. Nothing to do with former reading attendees since Slam dunk has a young target audience and the type of bands they book reading also fucking does. The reason Reading is successful is that it satisfies most young people's needs, whatever they like. And no they could never afford that, even if they get rid of all fucking stages bar main. How much do you think it would cost for Foos to sub Sabbath ffs.

41 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

No not at all, download never books the likes of Pearl Jam, Gorillaz, Radiohead, The Strokes etc, and then there would still be EDM types like Chems for example. And I guess could still book some mainstream shite like Kings of Leon for example, basically old Reading yeah, with a tiny bit of Primavera. Mainly for people who've outgrown Reading, there is a gaping whole in the UK festival market for that type of thing. Also reading wouldn't book Ed now anyway 

Because the popularity of that has fallen so much it could not sell 2 major festivals. I'm thinking a 70k ting. If R+L had stayed the same as it always was it would not sell nearly well as it does now

But Reading sold out on the day between 2006-2010 and that was even during the recession. I don't see R/L selling enough tickets when they only target a small target audience, it just seems to be for 14-18 year olds now. 

The festival you describe is basically the Readings from 00-10. Phoenix festival was supposedly coming back, but it never got off the ground. I never get why new festivals start up and then just book the same old shite as everyone else. 

58 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Download doesn't cater to the type of music I like. Basically what the festival scene is missing is a Primavera style festival, with big name stadium rock bands, a bit of metal, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy etc. Basically the old Reading and Glastonbury type line ups before they got too commercial. 

Just now, Chinaski_ said:

But Reading sold out on the day between 2006-2010 and that was even during the recession. I don't see R/L selling enough tickets when they only target a small target audience, it just seems to be for 14-18 year olds now. 

The festival you describe is basically the Readings from 00-10. Phoenix festival was supposedly coming back, but it never got off the ground. I never get why new festivals start up and then just book the same old shite as everyone else. 

Yeah basically the festival would be old reading minus all the landfill indie. The festival had been gradually changing though, it's not as if as soon as 2011 hit the main stage suddenly became flooded with EDM. They were still booking Pulp, The Cure etc. The fact of it is that audience is dwindling and in 2017 could not sell out 2 major festivals. One, yes

15 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Yeah basically the festival would be old reading minus all the landfill indie. The festival had been gradually changing though, it's not as if as soon as 2011 hit the main stage suddenly became flooded with EDM. They were still booking Pulp, The Cure etc. The fact of it is that audience is dwindling and in 2017 could not sell out 2 major festivals. One, yes

Yeah my last Reading was 2012, mostly because of constant repeats on the undercard and the way the festival headed afterwards. I still saw acts like The Cure, Mark Lanegan, The Shins, The Hives, Green Day etc. and yet I still thought the line up was shit at the time. :lol: Yet compared to this year it's like a masterpiece. 

5 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Melvin has got a magic money tree so it's ok

Doesn't even need a magic money tree. Just scrap the dance tent and there's enough money to get Foo Fighters and Biffy Clyro on the same day not as headliners. Eez-eh.

12 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Also I'd love something like Primavera Sound in the UK as well as something like Riot Fest. They've got the best two line ups this year and always get a solid line up every year

Yep Riot Fest is class again this year. Need to get over there before it starts getting shit. 

Just now, Odessa said:

Doesn't even need a magic money tree. Just scrap the dance tent and there's enough money to get Foo Fighters and Biffy Clyro on the same day not as headliners. Eez-eh.

But then they wouldn't be able to sell as many tickets or crowd the existing stages more in order to accommodate losing a stage.

Just now, Chinaski_ said:

Download doesn't cater to the type of music I like. Basically what the festival scene is missing is a Primavera style festival, with big name stadium rock bands, a bit of metal, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy etc. Basically the old Reading and Glastonbury type line ups before they got too commercial. 

IMO that doesn't even sound like they are going commercial, that just sounds like they are moving with the times. Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Pet Shop Boys etc. were all massive like 20 years ago but nowadays they have fallen loads and kind of rely on the nostalgia factor for most festival goers. It sounds like really what you are looking for is just a festival with lots of older acts in it, which I doubt has that large of an audience....

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

IMO that doesn't even sound like they are going commercial, that just sounds like they are moving with the times. Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Pet Shop Boys etc. were all massive like 20 years ago but nowadays they have fallen loads and kind of rely on the nostalgia factor for most festival goers. It sounds like really what you are looking for is just a festival with lots of older acts in it, which I doubt has that large of an audience....

Nah I want something that combines older cult acts with newer bands and big names, but isn't too heavy on whatever the NME/Radio 1 are hyping. Primavera Sound does that and sells out every year. It doesn't have to be 80k or 100k, 35k could do it. Of course Pixies and Arcade Fire would not sell as many as Kasabian or Muse would, but it wouldn't be targeting that kind of audience.