Lineup 2018

2018: Kendrick Lamar// 21 Pilots//Stormzy// Enter Shikari 

Vampire Weekend//Wolf Alice// The Amazons

The Killers// Catfish and the Bottlemen// London Grammar// The Wombats

Rag n Bone Man// Popcaan.// The Sherlocks

Royal Blood/ Tame Impala (Co-Headline)// Boy Better Know// Jack Garratt

Jamie XX// The Kooks// Don Broco//

1 hour ago, BeddingatReading said:

No way would 30STM play 3rd down with Jared's ego. 

Course they would. I should expect they'll have to if they want to do festivals again.

Besides, I know he's got an ego - I've seen the backstage 'no wristband needed' posters and heard some of the things he's said and such - but I don't suppose it's crept into their festival placings given they've never been an established headliner.

Just now, AdamJansson88 said:

Honestly can't see FR not getting Arctic Monkeys for 2018, if they don't get them next year then they'll have to wait until at least 2020 as they'll play glasto in 2019, which means it will be right at the end of the album cycle.

I dunno glasto is gonna have lots of options for 2019 too. I agree though that Arctics will probably next year or the year after though.

TBH, next year is still imo Paramore and Royal Blood for sure, with then a larger act (Foos, Arctics, Killers, Kendrick etc.) and maybe a coheadline with RB (though I can't think who would do it).

Just now, Mattymooz said:

TBH, next year is still imo Paramore and Royal Blood for sure, with then a larger act (Foos, Arctics, Killers, Kendrick etc.) and maybe a coheadline with RB (though I can't think who would do it).

I reckon Catfish, CHVRCHES, Tame Impala, BMTH, or VW could co-headline 

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dunno glasto is gonna have lots of options for 2019 too. I agree though that Arctics will probably next year or the year after though.

Kendrick wouldn't be a big headliner.

2 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

Only BMTH could co-headline out of those. Maybe Catfish or Tame Impala if either release a surprisingly big album. Vampire Weekend played 3rd down in 2014 and they aren't getting any bigger; CHVRCHES are on the way up but they're not R&L headliners.

1 minute ago, manchestermusicreview said:

CHVRCHES would be a top NME headliner next year, although they could be too big for it by then. Latitude headliner would make sense. I've loved both albums. Very enjoyable in 2016 although lost a little something in their slot on Main. The end of Clearest Blue ... great stuff. 

• Upvote 2

I dunno, I think CHVRCHES could do it on the new album cycle but it'd have to be a great album. They're not that much smaller than Catfish or Tame Impala (e.g. they could probably headline something like Community).

I would agree they're not headliners, but they could be co-headliners (in the same way fob and Disclosure aren't near full headliner status).

And Kendrick would be big in terms of Rap headliners. Other than Eminem and Kanye he's probably the biggest rap/hip-hop act around right now.

Just now, Mattymooz said:

And Kendrick would be big in terms of Rap headliners. Other than Eminem and Kanye he's probably the biggest rap/hip-hop act around right now.

Drake. Jay-Z.

Yeah he'd be big in terms of a rap headliner, and he certainly could headline, but he wouldn't be a big headliner in general for R&L.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

2018 - Royal Blood, Arctic Monkeys, Paramore
2019 - The 1975, Foo Fighters, ???

Initial thoughts for that final 2019 slot were Florence or MCR but it's too far in the future to have a clue, really.

Metallica on the final stretch of their WorldWired tour? After a headline spot at Download next year. IIRC their 2015 set was bereft of new material so it'd make sense from that point of view. Although I guess if an act as big as Metallica are around during late summer festival season they're a possibility, new material of not (Eminem at this moment). 

Drake would probably have wider appeal (though he isn't really a r+l act imo) but currently I would definitely say Kendrick is bigger than Jay Z atm. Jay Z has kinda dropped off the map.....

Just now, Will-2609 said:

2018 - Royal Blood, Arctic Monkeys, Paramore

2019 - The 1975, Foo Fighters, ???

Initial thoughts for that final 2019 slot were Florence or MCR but it's too far in the future to have a clue, really.

There are going to be so many people around who are potentials in 2019 I think it's waaaaay too hard to call (1975, BMTH, 21P, Foals, Florence + The Machine, Biffy?, Foo Fighters, MCR, Kanye, plus whoever they end up not picking 2018)

Just now, JSmurphy said:

CHVRCHES would be a top NME headliner next year, although they could be too big for it by then. Latitude headliner would make sense. I've loved both albums. Very enjoyable in 2016 although lost a little something in their slot on Main. The end of Clearest Blue ... great stuff. 

Yeah It's gonna be slightly awkward for them in terms of album cycles. Latitude/Bestival/Community etc. headliner is obvs what they're gonna do next year but are they gonna be big enough come 2019 (then on a year old album) as a R+L coheadliner or are they going to be stuck at sub level (think they'll probably be higher than NME head, especially compared to people like HAIM in that position this year)

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Drake would probably have wider appeal (though he isn't really a r+l act imo) but currently I would definitely say Kendrick is bigger than Jay Z atm. Jay Z has kinda dropped off the map.....

Well yeah but Jay-Z hasn't released an album in 4 years so you're not gonna hear much about him at the moment. If both him and Kendrick announced an arena tour now with tickets priced the same, I imagine Jay-Z would sell more tickets.

22 hours ago, dylangraham said:

2018: Kendrick Lamar, Royal Blood, Paramore

2019: Bring Me The Horizon, The 1975 or Tame Impala, Kanye West or Arctic Monkeys (BMTH, 1975 & Kanye would be most likely imo)

It would surprise me to see three new headliners (Para only co-headlined) but it would be good to see. I feel someone co-headlining with Royal Blood is more likely. 

I feel both Arctic Monkeys and Foo Fighters are odds on to play either next year or the year after. They are ticket shifters and I can't see Reading passing them up.

I'm leaning more towards Arctics or Killers (especially as there is no glasto and both probably have an album out next year). But tbh I have no clue. I also think that they may go for a coheadline with Royal Blood still. I don't think they need it but that would allow them to have more vairety e.g. a dance or rap act.

it's rough that they've ended up with three naff repeat headliners this year but next year they're likely to have too many potential headliners to chose from to mention. if only one of Florence, Paramore etc was touring properly this summer it'd look a lot more interesting. luck of the draw I guess.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Any chance of zeppelin? They clearly only split for commercial reasons anyway and if reading can get 3 stadium fillers this year they could easily afford them, especially if the rest is shite

Zepp, Judas Priest, Chemical bros

BBK ft Drake, A7X, haim

Paolo nutini, Mumford, Noel ghallager 

2 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Any chance of zeppelin? They clearly only split for commercial reasons anyway and if reading can get 3 stadium fillers this year they could easily afford them, especially if the rest is shite

Zepp, Judas Priest, Chemical bros

BBK ft Drake, A7X, haim

Paolo nutini, Mumford, Noel ghallager 

I can't make sense of this prediction at all. This makes the Lorde shout the other day seem bang on. 

Who are the headliners here? Or is it 3 sets of 3 headliners? Or do you think Paulo Nutini is bigger than Mumfords, Noel and Avenged? What?