Lineup 2018

30 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Slaves are probably on the slide now. I think they're third down at a much smaller FR festival next month so subbing R+L would be a significant jump from that, and they're not primed to make any sort of upwards move.

With Courteeners you've got to wonder what can be gained out of them becoming a headliner. They're already a stadium filler in Manchester but they don't look set to match that anywhere else - and that's fine. Headlining R+L means that a safe booking every two years can no longer be made every two years - just to bump up a band that have been on the go for over a decade. Pretty pointless really. I think they'll be back and might move up to sub but that'll be their peak.

Yeah the thing with slaves is that they're one of the names that gets thrown around by FR as one of the "future headliners" but in reality they're a bit boring after a while. Looking back subbing NME is probably a more realistic place for them with someone like stormzy subbing.

Courteeners are an odd one because they're huge in Manchester and I never thought they'd be capable to headline a festival until seeing them at old Trafford. I think although it's their safety Festival, Liam big ego Fray would never in a million years turn down the chance to headline the festival they've played for year now. Only thing stopping them headlining would be the fact that they're a Brixton headliner and nothing more down south but I mean FR are famous for silly bookings so it wouldn't surprise me to see them headline or even co headline alongside a 1975 or someone that's bigger down south

6 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Courteeners are an odd one because they're huge in Manchester and I never thought they'd be capable to headline a festival until seeing them at old Trafford. I think although it's their safety Festival, Liam big ego Fray would never in a million years turn down the chance to headline the festival they've played for year now. Only thing stopping them headlining would be the fact that they're a Brixton headliner and nothing more down south but I mean FR are famous for silly bookings so it wouldn't surprise me to see them headline or even co headline alongside a 1975 or someone that's bigger down south

I don't mean it's a safe booking for Courteeners, I mean R+L have a decent thing going by booking them every couple of years and capitalising on their loyal fanbase. No doubt they'd accept if offered but I don't think they would be. And the ego can't come into play that heavily - they've done massive gigs for years now and it's never affected their choices outside of their hometown. There just doesn't seem to be any point in even bumping them up to headline Leeds on a coheadline when they could sub a bigger act nationally and it would get all the Courteeners fans buying tickets anyway.

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't mean it's a safe booking for Courteeners, I mean R+L have a decent thing going by booking them every couple of years and capitalising on their loyal fanbase. No doubt they'd accept if offered but I don't think they would be. And the ego can't come into play that heavily - they've done massive gigs for years now and it's never affected their choices outside of their hometown. There just doesn't seem to be any point in even bumping them up to headline Leeds on a coheadline when they could sub a bigger act nationally and it would get all the Courteeners fans buying tickets anyway.

Ah right see what you mean, but Liam Fray also talks about headlining when its right and right now they seem at their highest ever point and they can't get much bigger than right now so if its not now then they probably never will headline.

1 hour ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Ah right see what you mean, but Liam Fray also talks about headlining when its right and right now they seem at their highest ever point and they can't get much bigger than right now so if its not now then they probably never will headline.

Whether the Courteeners headline a major festival has absolutely nothing to do with if Liam Fray thinks the time is right mate. They won't be offered it but say they were, he would bite their hand off. I don't think they've really got much bigger in the past 18 months-2 years, and they're certainly not gonna get any bigger in future. 

Edited by Odessa

15 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

BBW, Stormzy and Kendrick are all too low imo. By next year, I think BBW will be bigger enough to sub (if they aren't already), Stormzy will be at least 3rd down and Kendrick will headline outright if  he plays. 

Boy Better Wow !!

5 hours ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Main: Courteeners, Catfish, ADTR

NME: Enter Shikari

Main: Arctic Monkeys, Wolf Alice, Vampire Weekend

NME: Jamie T

Main: Royal Blood, Slaves, The Wombats

NME: The Vaccines 

Wow !!

55 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I don't think they've really got much bigger in the past 18 months-2 years, and they're certainly not gonna get any bigger in future. 

Agree that they aren't gonna get any bigger but they've gone from selling out Heaton park to selling out old Trafford and although it doesn't seem like massive progress, playing in front of 50,000 is a big thing for a band many people call "average" 

16 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Glastonbury Other Stage 2017.

Snapchat-1440959248.jpg

Glastonbury's completely different to Leeds, Glasto gets Leeds headliners subbing, Leeds get Liam Gallagher who hasn't even released an album, not saying I think Slaves should sub and looking back it was a bad shout, but its the type of stupid booking FR would make, same with Courteeners, not saying it should happen but its the type of stupid booking they'd make. 

17 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Glastonbury's completely different to Leeds, Glasto gets Leeds headliners subbing, Leeds get Liam Gallagher who hasn't even released an album, not saying I think Slaves should sub and looking back it was a bad shout, but its the type of stupid booking FR would make, same with Courteeners, not saying it should happen but its the type of stupid booking they'd make. 

I doubt Slaves or Courteeners will be active next summer- Courteeners have had around 3 straight summers of none stop touring, and I think 5 or 6 with slaves- both of them will tail off by the end of this year then go into writing mode. 

49 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Agree that they aren't gonna get any bigger but they've gone from selling out Heaton park to selling out old Trafford and although it doesn't seem like massive progress, playing in front of 50,000 is a big thing for a band many people call "average" 

The only reason they have got big is because they are from Manchester. They were so bloody boring at Reading last year, 1 or 2 decent tunes but so many songs that just sound like album filler.

Edited by CRW5252

2 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

The only reason they have got big is because they are from Manchester. They were so bloody boring at Reading, 1 or 2 decent tunes but so many songs that just sound like album filler.

Problem is at Reading, when I watched it back on iplayer, there was no flares, no rowdiness, no jumping up at down- meanwhile at Leeds on the Sunday, it was a party of colour and smoke. And it's not just one or two decent tunes- Not Nineteen Forever is a classic Manc anthem, What took you so Long and Are You in Love with a Notion are blazing indie tunes, and Small Bones is a beautiful brass-backed song. I'm just scratching the surface here. 

People always say 'The only reason they got big is because they are from Manchester'- Bands put in the hard graft to get famous up here. Elbow released four fantastic records before breaking out with the Seldom Seen Kid, Everything Everything are on their third album, massively underappreciated but still only playing the NME third. Cabbage are the next big thing here and they revel in post-punk Marxist euphoria. So no, the only reason they have got big is not because they are from Manchester. One reason they got big was because they wrote anthems that defined a generation lacking a Stone Roses or an Oasis. Another reason they got big was because they appealed to Northern people with tunes embracing the North, such as Fallowfield Hillbilly. And finally, they got big because they, in a live atmosphere up north, bring a party and lift the spirits, as they did on Saturday at the cricket ground. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

I doubt Slaves or Courteeners will be active next summer- Courteeners have had around 3 straight summers of none stop touring, and I think 5 or 6 with slaves- both of them will tail off by the end of this year then go into writing mode. 

Slaves might take the summer off but Courteeners will probably have an album either out or coming out at the end of the year and plus they've tended to play Leeds every other year

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Slaves might take the summer off but Courteeners will probably have an album either out or coming out at the end of the year and plus they've tended to play Leeds every other year

Severely doubt it... Mapping the rendevouz only came out in October 2016. They could play a one-off show, in the manner of Imagine Dragons in 2016- and therefore justifying a sub slot underneath Artics/Killers

Yeah but 18 months ago they did about a million nights in a row sold out at the Apollo. They've been big in Manchester for a while. And that was without The Charlatans and Blossoms who would have sweetened the deal for a lot of people. Also, having a load of fans doesn't prove either way if they're average or not.

2 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah but 18 months ago they did about a million nights in a row sold out at the Apollo. They've been big in Manchester for a while. And that was without The Charlatans and Blossoms who would have sweetened the deal for a lot of people. Also, having a load of fans doesn't prove either way if they're average or not.

Well I mean it proves that at lot of people don't think they're average and at the end of the day music is about opinion, just because someone thinks they're average doesn't make them average

8 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

Severely doubt it... Mapping the rendevouz only came out in October 2016. They could play a one-off show, in the manner of Imagine Dragons in 2016- and therefore justifying a sub slot underneath Artics/Killers

Yeah but they've sort of roughly done an album every two years  so I wouldn't be surprised if they released an album in the autumn of 2018 alongside the DVD for old Trafford 

Yeah, but R&L doesn't get acts 3rd down the Other Stage headlining (the other two days it's George Ezra and Wiley) or acts opening the Other Stage subbing (the other two days it's The Pretenders and Gabrielle Alpin).

It isn't the type of stupid booking they'd make. When they give acts bigger slots than we expect it tends to be new acts on the rise and tbh they often do calculate it well and it ends up making sense by August. Slaves are probably an NME sub now as you say, and don't really seem like they're gonna get any bigger from here on in.

Someone like Wolf Alice getting the sub slot is the kind of booking I think you're suggesting, and I could see that happening.

1 hour ago, manchestermusicreview said:

Problem is at Reading, when I watched it back on iplayer, there was no flares, no rowdiness, no jumping up at down- meanwhile at Leeds on the Sunday, it was a party of colour and smoke. And it's not just one or two decent tunes- Not Nineteen Forever is a classic Manc anthem, What took you so Long and Are You in Love with a Notion are blazing indie tunes, and Small Bones is a beautiful brass-backed song. I'm just scratching the surface here. 

People always say 'The only reason they got big is because they are from Manchester'- Bands put in the hard graft to get famous up here. Elbow released four fantastic records before breaking out with the Seldom Seen Kid, Everything Everything are on their third album, massively underappreciated but still only playing the NME third. Cabbage are the next big thing here and they revel in post-punk Marxist euphoria. So no, the only reason they have got big is not because they are from Manchester. One reason they got big was because they wrote anthems that defined a generation lacking a Stone Roses or an Oasis. Another reason they got big was because they appealed to Northern people with tunes embracing the North, such as Fallowfield Hillbilly. And finally, they got big because they, in a live atmosphere up north, bring a party and lift the spirits, as they did on Saturday at the cricket ground. 

This is exactly it for me. They grew up being introduced to the likes of Oasis and The Stone Roses, maybe by parents, maybe by their peers, and due to a lack of anything decent in the same vein, they've all clung on to the closest thing within their generation. The Courteeners are obviously nowhere near the level that The Stone Roses and Oasis (I'm no fan but they obviously had some massive highs) have operated at, but people in that northern-lad-rock-proper-music scene have desperately tried to make them into the next of these acts.

1 hour ago, manchestermusicreview said:

The reason there weren't any flares (which are annoying any way imo), rowdiness, jumping etc is because they couldn't get the crowd going. They just aren't very big anywhere apart from up north. 

I didn't say that every Manc band is overrated, far from it. Oasis, the Stone Roses, Joy Division, the Smiths are all some of my favorite bands of all time. 

As you mentioned, this generation lacked a Stone Roses or Oasis. The Courteeners capitalized. If they were about in the 90s they wouldn't have got anywhere near as big as they have. 

4 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

BMTH mate. Hasn't happened obviously but easily could have

Knew someone would bring this up but they clearly played lower down at Glasto due to being v far from their usual demographic. Courteeners aren't at all, and 3rd down Other is a slot that their size represents. A lot of us were expecting BMTH to headline Other last year, which would have been a fairer reflection of their overall size.

4 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

You must have missed the news that Paramore are confirmed.

Edit: It's fucking minging.

Still reckon Paramore will end up at Hyde Park or some shit. Them and Arctic Monkeys coming back after four years and only one album each would be peak.

It is quite bleak init. I dunno what can realistically make it a pretty good line up next year, of acts in the upper reaches. Been thinking Jack White will probably come off his break next year but I can see him moving up to headline slots (again, at BST) so yeah probably won't affect R+L.