Lineup 2018

That'd be pretty cool. Would wanna be able to see Vampire Weekend and Kanye somehow though.

Been thinking I could see Wolf Alice getting a sub slot. Would be a bit of a leap, sure, but as they're trailing a single it could be the case their album has been out for about a year by the time R+L comes around next summer and it's bound to be popular.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That'd be pretty cool. Would wanna be able to see Vampire Weekend and Kanye somehow though.

Been thinking I could see Wolf Alice getting a sub slot. Would be a bit of a leap, sure, but as they're trailing a single it could be the case their album has been out for about a year by the time R+L comes around next summer and it's bound to be popular.

Can definitely see Wolf Alice being big enough to sub next year too. If Blossoms are big enough the be third then with a successful album WA could easily sub.

Added to it a bit

Main: The Killers / Tame Impala / Wolf Alice / Childish Gambino / Don Broco / Declan McKenna / Black Honey

NME: Enter Shikari / Schoolboy Q / Sampha / Death Grips

Main: Royal Blood / Catfish & the Bottlemen / Stormzy / Christine & the Queens / Glass Animals / The Amazons / Fickle Friends

NME: Clean Bandit / Rag n Bone Man / Dua Lipa

Main: Kanye West / Twenty One Pilots / Thirty Seconds to Mars / Zack De La Rocha / Nothing But Thieves

NME: Vampire Weekend / Mac DeMarco / Warpaint / Sigrid / King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard / Car Seat Headrest

43 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Main: The Killers / Tame Impala / Wolf Alice / Childish Gambino / Don Broco / Declan McKenna / Black Honey
NME: Enter Shikari / Schoolboy Q / Sampha / Death Grips

Main: Royal Blood / Catfish & the Bottlemen / Stormzy / Christine & the Queens / Glass Animals / The Amazons / Fickle Friends
NME: Clean Bandit / Rag n Bone Man / Dua Lipa

Main: Kanye West / Twenty One Pilots / Thirty Seconds to Mars / Zack De La Rocha / Nothing But Thieves
NME: Vampire Weekend / Mac DeMarco / Warpaint / Sigrid / King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard / Car Seat Headrest

Death Grips -> Wolf Alice -> Tame Impala -> Enter Shikari
King Giz -> Zack D La Rocha -> Thirty Seconds to Mars -> Mac DeMarco -> Kanye West

What a few days that would be. 

Nice profile picture too btw.

Edited by JSmurphy

30 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Death Grips -> Wolf Alice -> Tame Impala -> Enter Shikari
King Giz -> Zack D La Rocha -> Thirty Seconds to Mars -> Mac DeMarco -> Kanye West

What a few days that would be. 

Nice profile picture too btw.

cheers!

46 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I really don't see them booking The Killers.

yeah i guess it does depend on how well this album goes, but their BST show has sold well. also it would be their 10 year anniversary of their last/first headline at R&L. it'll be pretty easy to get them as an exclusive too, IOW had them in 2013 so i guess they could book them again but they should have other options. i guess the only other competitor would be TRNSMT.

10 minutes ago, Odessa said:

A lot depends on what they do with this new album really. I definitely don't think you can rule it out.

I don't feel like they're really on the radar of 16/17 year old R&L goers now other than Mr Brightside. The 'indie' acts from their era who still get booked hold some sort of 'cool' factor (Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, The Libertines) which leads to teenagers getting into them. The ones like The Killers and KOL don't have this and I see them as being left to their own shows, BST and festivals with a less specific audience such as IOW and V.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

yeah i guess it does depend on how well this album goes, but their BST show has sold well. also it would be their 10 year anniversary of their last/first headline at R&L. it'll be pretty easy to get them as an exclusive too, IOW had them in 2013 so i guess they could book them again but they should have other options. i guess the only other competitor would be TRNSMT.

It's more that I don't think The Killers' fanbase and the R&L crowd have a very large crossover. Maybe their new album will push them back into relevance but I can't see It. It'll sell well amongst people in their 20s and above who liked them previously but I can't see them picking up many new school-leaver-age fans (same as when KOL release new albums).

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

I don't feel like they're really on the radar of 16/17 year old R&L goers now other than Mr Brightside. The 'indie' acts from their era who still get booked hold some sort of 'cool' factor (Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, The Libertines) which leads to teenagers getting into them. The ones like The Killers and KOL don't have this and I see them as being left to their own shows, BST and festivals with a less specific audience such as IOW and V.

I get what you mean completely. I just think if they come back with a single that does ok and isn't cheesy as fuck like the last album was they could be considered. Also I can't remember if it was mentioned on here or not, but Mr Brightside has now spent more time in the UK top 100 than any other song ever, which is ridiculous. "Other than Mr Brightside"...it's a huge thing to ignore.

I dunno, I think the Killers has more appeal than other bands e.g. Kasabian and RHCP. I think that being the reason for them not headlining would be a bad one. Especially with Glasto being off the cards I can't see them playing IOW on the first time out on the new album.

And tbh you can't take the quality of peoples new music into consideration at this point. Heck, look at Eminem who hasn't put any new solo work out since the last time he played (or tbh even look at the Quality of Muse's last couple of releases). Especially if Paramore are playing (who cover the more punk  and really indie crowd) and then royal blood headlining/coheadlining (for the heavier crowd) I can't see it not being either Arctics or the Killers at this point. As personally I think it'll be too soon for the Arctics to play R+L (they left it 5 years last time) I think Killers is loooking more and more likely (tbh could see them doing both R+L and TRNSMT)

53 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dunno, I think the Killers has more appeal than other bands e.g. Kasabian and RHCP. I think that being the reason for them not headlining would be a bad one. Especially with Glasto being off the cards I can't see them playing IOW on the first time out on the new album.

And tbh you can't take the quality of peoples new music into consideration at this point. Heck, look at Eminem who hasn't put any new solo work out since the last time he played (or tbh even look at the Quality of Muse's last couple of releases). Especially if Paramore are playing (who cover the more punk  and really indie crowd) and then royal blood headlining/coheadlining (for the heavier crowd) I can't see it not being either Arctics or the Killers at this point. As personally I think it'll be too soon for the Arctics to play R+L (they left it 5 years last time) I think Killers is loooking more and more likely (tbh could see them doing both R+L and TRNSMT)

RHCP and Kasabian are both huge amongst school-leavers. The Killers may have more appeal in general, but not to the R&L crowd. Muse less so but they're more in keeping with the alternative side of the festival, same with the likes of Metallica and Green Day.

I'm not talking about the quality of their new music, I'm saying in terms of the people listening to the band it'll need to get some of the people who attend R&L listening to it, which I can't see happening. Muse and Eminem don't need that, they're both already listened to by people who attend R&L.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

RHCP and Kasabian are both huge amongst school-leavers. The Killers may have more appeal in general, but not to the R&L crowd. Muse less so but they're more in keeping with the alternative side of the festival, same with the likes of Metallica and Green Day.

I'm not talking about the quality of their new music, I'm saying in terms of the people listening to the band it'll need to get some of the people who attend R&L listening to it, which I can't see happening. Muse and Eminem don't need that, they're both already listened to by people who attend R&L.

Are they, the majority of school leavers I spoke to don't know who Kasabian are (heck, I know them way less than the Killers, I had only heard of Fire before this R+L). RHCP are well known amongst them as a brand but few know there songs. However, I can guarantee that they all know the majority of Hot Fuss and probably know some other songs e.g. When We Were Young.  Heck, just look at the difference in spotify plays between Kasabian and The Killers

And I know what you mean. IMO The Killers aren't going to shift day tickets (though maybe BST disagrees with me) however, I would consider them a very strong headliner that a lot of people enjoy and people would go and see if they are going for a weekend ticket or if there is some other killer, unique act (like Liam Gallagher) on that day. Even so I think your vastly underestimating how popular they are.

Source: I have a sister in lower sixth and her friends are also from lower sixth.....

6 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Are they, the majority of school leavers I spoke to don't know who Kasabian are (heck, I know them way less than the Killers, I had only heard of Fire before this R+L). RHCP are well known amongst them as a brand but few know there songs. However, I can guarantee that they all know the majority of Hot Fuss and probably know some other songs e.g. When We Were Young.  Heck, just look at the difference in spotify plays between Kasabian and The Killers

And I know what you mean. IMO The Killers aren't going to shift day tickets (though maybe BST disagrees with me) however, I would consider them a very strong headliner that a lot of people enjoy and people would go and see if they are going for a weekend ticket or if there is some other killer, unique act (like Liam Gallagher) on that day. Even so I think your vastly underestimating how popular they are.

Source: I have a sister in lower sixth and her friends are also from lower sixth.....

Tbf I'm now 21 so I'm no longer part of the demographic but the impression I get is that Kasabian and RHCP are much bigger deals amongst school leavers (the ones who'd go to R&L rather than V) than The Killers.

1 hour ago, Gozpot said:

Arctic Monkeys / Catfish & The Bottlemen / Wolf Alice
Enter Shikari

Royal Blood & Kendrick Lamar / Jamie T / Stormzy
Panic! At The Disco

Foo Fighters / Twenty One Pilots / A Day To Remember
Boy Better Know

BBW, Stormzy and Kendrick are all too low imo. By next year, I think BBW will be bigger enough to sub (if they aren't already), Stormzy will be at least 3rd down and Kendrick will headline outright if  he plays. 

10 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Main: Courteeners/Catfish, Stormzy, ADTR

NME: Enter Shikari

Main: Arctic Monkeys, Wolf Alice, Vampire Weekend

NME: Jamie T

Main: Royal Blood, Slaves, The Wombats

NME: The Vaccines 

Courteeners and Catfish as a co headline would be fucking awful. Courteeners are bang average and Catfish are alright but I feel they will have ceiling (in terms of popularity). 

Edited by CRW5252

10 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

I think BBW

:lol:

4 minutes ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Main: Courteeners, Catfish, ADTR

NME: Enter Shikari

Main: Arctic Monkeys, Wolf Alice, Vampire Weekend

NME: Jamie T

Main: Royal Blood, Slaves, The Wombats

NME: The Vaccines 

It's a pretty wild prediction when Slaves subbing isn't the worst thing on it.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Courteeners and Catfish as a co headline would be fucking awful. Courteeners are bang average and Catfish are alright but I feel they will have ceiling (in terms of popularity). 

Changed to Courteeners outright, not saying it would be good but after old Trafford on the weekend it could work, just not at reading.

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's a pretty wild prediction when Slaves subbing isn't the worst thing on it.

Slaves subbing just seems like the type of stupid booking FR would make like Blossoms and Liam Gallagher. With Courteeners I think if they headline which is pretty unlikely they'd then go back to Manchester in 2019 headline a night at the etihad and the call it a day. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, AdamJansson88 said:

Slaves subbing just seems like the type of stupid booking FR would make like Blossoms and Liam Gallagher. With Courteeners I think if they headline which is pretty unlikely they'd then go back to Manchester in 2019 headline a night at the etihad and the call it a day. 

Slaves are probably on the slide now. I think they're third down at a much smaller FR festival next month so subbing R+L would be a significant jump from that, and they're not primed to make any sort of upwards move.

With Courteeners you've got to wonder what can be gained out of them becoming a headliner. They're already a stadium filler in Manchester but they don't look set to match that anywhere else - and that's fine. Headlining R+L means that a safe booking every two years can no longer be made every two years - just to bump up a band that have been on the go for over a decade. Pretty pointless really. I think they'll be back and might move up to sub but that'll be their peak.