Lineup 2018

I had a fun day at Reading on Saturday. After organisational woes at Finsbury Park and Mad Cool this summer, it's nice that Reading always have got all their bars stacked with staff ready to serve. Didn't queue at all at any point during the day for a drink. Managed to avoid much of the bad weather this weekend too! I remember 5 minutes or so of light drizzle but nothing more. 

Teenage Wrist kicked the day off in fine fashion. I've been championing these guys for a while and if you're into that kinda grunge-lite 90s sound then I think you should give them a try. Always nice to easily walk to the front barrier for these early gigs but as I mentioned yesterday the addition of screens in The Pit is a great move. Some serious energy generated for 12:05. I read somewhere that they're supporting Thrice on their tour across the pond so I'm hoping that finds its way here at some point.

Wondered off to Main to see a bit of Protoje before heading to Dance Stage to see Noname. The latter was infinitely more memorable but drew a tiny crowd. Caught the end of Skindred which to my ears was no different from 2013 or 2016. I was stunned that Mike Shinoda was actually really enjoyable, far better than it had any right to be. He did a great job managing the Linkin Park covers and the crowd seemed to respond well too, at least where I was. 

Brockhampton was incredible and it's an absolute travesty these guys played so low. They need to be high up on Main next time. The tent was going off. Caught the end of Sum 41 who sounded alright and Mike Shinoda coming out to close the set with Faint was a nice moment. Followed these up with Pale Waves in Festival Republic who were far better than I had expected. Night and day compared to their ropey set on Introducing last time out. 

Dua Lipa's crowd was ridiculous. It stretched back to the line of food stalls far past the sound tower at Reading. It was huge. Can't really comment on her set as I only caught the tail end and wasn't really engaged. No exaggeration that N.E.R.D (zzz) probably got a quarter of the crowd she had. 

I thought Panic! At The Disco were alright. Nothing that special but I guess if you're a massive fan realistically how much better could it have been? Big stage production and a classy supporting cast on stage. I thought Kendrick was brilliant. This was my first time catching him since Reading '15 so there was plenty I was hearing live for the first time. As I mentioned yesterday the crowd was real dangerous at times but it was probably worth the price of admission alone.

We were at Leeds and left last night as our tents were already soaked through on Sunday morning. Managed to get off site easily enough at 1am, there were a lot leaving at the time and the car park was quite slippy til you got onto the exit path, but it was ok overall.

Facilities wise was glad to see the return of Brown camp (being a family group), I swear it wasn't on the first release of the map on the app and wasn't on the map in the printed programme, so must have been added late.  The co-op shop was also a great addition and busy.

Music wise there was less I was bothered about seeing than in the last two years, but enough to fill the schedule. Echo what has been said on the crowd sizes - I wasn't at Post Malone but walked through the crowd coming off main stage afterwards and it was immense. Dua Lipa also had a huge crowd.  I know it's always been a thing that many people will just come into the arena for certain acts they want to see but it seemed quite extreme this year, big movements of people on and off.

The Thursday was busy with a big crowd coming in for Big Shaq, but thought the rest of the entertainment was lacking this year.

Saw some poor crowds for guitar bands e.g The Joy Formidable on Main and Underoath in the Lockup, and Death from Above deserved to play to more people than they got in FR. $uicide Boy$ got the biggest crowd I saw in the Pit, though Beartooth did ok too.

Kate Nash got far more than I expected up against Kendrick, and it was funny watching people coming away from Kendrick, then hearing 'Foundations' starting and come running into the tent.

Overall agree with what's been said earlier, that you only have to look at the relative crowd sizes for different types of acts to see which direction the will continue to go in, though at least it looks like BMTH will headline next year, even if they turn out to be a token 'rock headliner' alongside more mainstream headliners.

14 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

I agree they should book certain acts like this to keep up with the times but the headliners this year should have included any 2 of the following: Killers, Arctic Monkey's, Foo Fighters, QoTSA

2 of these keeps the regulars happy. 

The other issue was this year included lots of landfill indie and rock. The combination of these two factors has meant many regulars have given it a miss this year. Not sure whether this has impacted on this year's sales but the big issue the organisers should be thinking about is selling out the festival could be the end of it. You only need to see what happened to V. That was rock and indie festival with a bit of pop that then changed to mainstream music with a bit of indie and died of death. 

How many of the 16-19 year old who attended this year will be attending for the next 10-15 years like myself and many who post on this thread have done in the past? They need to make sure they keep those people happy, which they haven't over the past 3-4 years which is now leading to people not attending anymore or just going for a day? 

I agree with this. I think the problem wasn't so much of the grime/rap, but more that the rock/guitar bands were so poor and uninspiring bookings. FOB and The Courteeners seem to play every year, then you have KOL who have been irrelevant for the past 8 years and PATD who were popular when I was in year 11. Then the landfill bands from 12 years ago like The Kooks and The Wombats who somehow keep getting high spots.

But I agree the festival is moving too far away from its roots. I know people will say "But Public Enemy headlined in 1992!!!!!", but acts like them, Beasties, Ice Cube, Cypress Hill, OFWGKTA, early Eminem also appealed to the rock/alternative crowd, not the radio 1 top 40 crowd. I saw a bit of Dua Lipa on tv and to me that is not what Reading would've booked 5 years ago, it's in danger of becoming like V.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I had a fun day at Reading on Saturday. After organisational woes at Finsbury Park and Mad Cool this summer, it's nice that Reading always have got all their bars stacked with staff ready to serve. Didn't queue at all at any point during the day for a drink. Managed to avoid much of the bad weather this weekend too! I remember 5 minutes or so of light drizzle but nothing more. 

Teenage Wrist kicked the day off in fine fashion. I've been championing these guys for a while and if you're into that kinda grunge-lite 90s sound then I think you should give them a try. Always nice to easily walk to the front barrier for these early gigs but as I mentioned yesterday the addition of screens in The Pit is a great move. Some serious energy generated for 12:05. I read somewhere that they're supporting Thrice on their tour across the pond so I'm hoping that finds its way here at some point.

Wondered off to Main to see a bit of Protoje before heading to Dance Stage to see Noname. The latter was infinitely more memorable but drew a tiny crowd. Caught the end of Skindred which to my ears was no different from 2013 or 2016. I was stunned that Mike Shinoda was actually really enjoyable, far better than it had any right to be. He did a great job managing the Linkin Park covers and the crowd seemed to respond well too, at least where I was. 

Brockhampton was incredible and it's an absolute travesty these guys played so low. They need to be high up on Main next time. The tent was going off. Caught the end of Sum 41 who sounded alright and Mike Shinoda coming out to close the set with Faint was a nice moment. Followed these up with Pale Waves in Festival Republic who were far better than I had expected. Night and day compared to their ropey set on Introducing last time out. 

Dua Lipa's crowd was ridiculous. It stretched back to the line of food stalls far past the sound tower at Reading. It was huge. Can't really comment on her set as I only caught the tail end and wasn't really engaged. No exaggeration that N.E.R.D (zzz) probably got a quarter of the crowd she had. 

I thought Panic! At The Disco were alright. Nothing that special but I guess if you're a massive fan realistically how much better could it have been? Big stage production and a classy supporting cast on stage. I thought Kendrick was brilliant. This was my first time catching him since Reading '15 so there was plenty I was hearing live for the first time. As I mentioned yesterday the crowd was real dangerous at times but it was probably worth the price of admission alone.

She really did, I like all sorts and tbh it's very hard to say a favourite from her, Papa Roach and Pendulum. I now defo see Dua Lipa doing Pyramid at Glasto with Jess Glynne subbing Other.

16 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I agree with this. I think the problem wasn't so much of the grime/rap, but more that the rock/guitar bands were so poor and uninspiring bookings. FOB and The Courteeners seem to play every year, then you have KOL who have been irrelevant for the past 8 years and PATD who were popular when I was in year 11. Then the landfill bands from 12 years ago like The Kooks and The Wombats who somehow keep getting high spots.

But I agree the festival is moving too far away from its roots. I know people will say "But Public Enemy headlined in 1992!!!!!", but acts like them, Beasties, Ice Cube, Cypress Hill, OFWGKTA, early Eminem also appealed to the rock/alternative crowd, not the radio 1 top 40 crowd. I saw a bit of Dua Lipa on tv and to me that is not what Reading would've booked 5 years ago, it's in danger of becoming like V.  

It's evolved and I'm the 1st to comment on shit but they got yesterday Leeds spot on. A day to get the rockier fans turn up and a huge pop act that's got some zip to appeal to the both crowds and shift tickets. Reading won't sell out on what they booked before, new generations, hip hop and rap dance etc is huge atm and too many indie rock acts have dropped off.

Trophy Eyes and Underøath both had tiny crowds playing the Pit. Underøath’s crowd was similar in size to While She Sleeps’ last year when they headlined it. 

My friend who went for the weekend sent me videos of both scarlxrd and $uicideboy$ and the tent was rammed and looked electric. 

I can’t get get over that Travis Scott set still. It was phenomenal. 

13 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Trophy Eyes and Underøath both had tiny crowds playing the Pit. Underøath’s crowd was similar in size to While She Sleeps’ last year when they headlined it. 

My friend who went for the weekend sent me videos of both scarlxrd and $uicideboy$ and the tent was rammed and looked electric. 

I can’t get get over that Travis Scott set still. It was phenomenal. 

Papa Roach were superb in that tent.

Dua Lipa played fourth down main and drew probably the biggest crowd of the entire weekend, now I know that there are external factors in play like the quality of the clashing acts, but is it a stretch to say she could be a potential future headliner/sub?

15 minutes ago, danz026 said:

Dua Lipa played fourth down main and drew probably the biggest crowd of the entire weekend, now I know that there are external factors in play like the quality of the clashing acts, but is it a stretch to say she could be a potential future headliner/sub?

Not a stretch, she has a tour to be able to have subbed it this year.

12 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Eh?

I think what he's suggesting is the venues she's been selling out are consistent with those of a typical R&L sub-headliner. Her recent tour was arenas like the Glasgow Hydro, Ally Pally and other similarly sized arenas around the UK and Ireland.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

It's evolved and I'm the 1st to comment on shit but they got yesterday Leeds spot on. A day to get the rockier fans turn up and a huge pop act that's got some zip to appeal to the both crowds and shift tickets. Reading won't sell out on what they booked before, new generations, hip hop and rap dance etc is huge atm and too many indie rock acts have dropped off.

Reading and Leeds both used to sell out on the day, now they both struggle to sell out at all, so that's not true. It was never solely marketed to the GCSE crowd, that's only been in the last few years. It used to be aimed at 16-40 audience, with something for everyone: big rock acts, teeny boppers, radio 1 "indie", alternative/critically acclaimed acts, dance, punk etc. Now it only books radio 1 MOR guitar bands, teeny boppers and rap/grime, which has changed the audience demographic. When they showed shots of the crowd, I never once saw someone that looked over the age of 21 and it looked like the kind of crowd that usually attends radio 1 Big Weekend and V Festival. 2010 was probably the last time they appealed to a wider audience and it's the last time it sold out on the day. 

1 minute ago, Chinaski_ said:

Reading and Leeds both used to sell out on the day, now they both struggle to sell out at all, so that's not true. It was never solely marketed to the GCSE crowd, that's only been in the last few years. It used to be aimed at 16-40 audience, with something for everyone: big rock acts, teeny boppers, radio 1 "indie", alternative/critically acclaimed acts, dance, punk etc. Now it only books radio 1 MOR guitar bands, teeny boppers and rap/grime, which has changed the audience demographic. When they showed shots of the crowd, I never once saw someone that looked over the age of 21 and it looked like the kind of crowd that usually attends radio 1 Big Weekend and V Festival. 2010 was probably the last time they appealed to a wider audience and it's the last time it sold out on the day. 

Are you aware that Reading was completely sold out this year? Although there were rumours of some capacity gymnastics.

Just now, Chinaski_ said:

Yep spot on and that's my point, they will always attract the 16-20 year old finishing school, college etc but they appear to have given up on the 25-45 year olds. 

Sadly they picked the wrong bands this year for many people including our group of 20 who have been attending since 2005. 

Maybe next year they will cater for us again Weezer, A Day to Remember and Enter Shikari would be a good starting point for me! 

4 minutes ago, danz026 said:

Are you aware that Reading was completely sold out this year? Although there were rumours of some capacity gymnastics.

Not sure I believe that it actually was. I remember they said 2011 was completely sold out yet you could still buy tickets on the website and the campsite was way down on usual. 

5 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

Yep spot on and that's my point, they will always attract the 16-20 year old finishing school, college etc but they appear to have given up on the 25-45 year olds. 

Sadly they picked the wrong bands this year for many people including our group of 20 who have been attending since 2005. 

Maybe next year they will cater for us again Weezer, A Day to Remember and Enter Shikari would be a good starting point for me! 

They still need the likes of Foos, Green Day, Guns N Roses, Metallica to sell tickets, so they are ill advised if they don't want to appeal to those crowds anymore. There was a big opportunity with no Glastonbury, yet showed no ambition with the line up. I guess it will either continue the way it's been going and turn into V, or they'll change their policy and start attracting bigger names again. 

18 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Things have changed, run me off a list on indie rock bands that would sell the festival out now that were about? I last camped in 2012, 6 years ago and everyone coming through was about 18....I'm fairly sure I was one of the oldest there.

13 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

To be honest I saw loads of older people....majority with their kids lol and that's what sells tickets.

You say this but they had Sum 41, Skindred, Papa Roach, Pendulum this year. Not like Shikari don't get booked while Weezer and ADTR weren't around. NERD in a similar spot to was Dizzee Rascal did before. I've not seen a day as strong as yesterday for a while.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Things have changed, run me off a list on indie rock bands that would sell the festival out now that were about? I last camped in 2012, 6 years ago and everyone coming through was about 18....I'm fairly sure I was one of the oldest there.

To be honest I saw loads of older people....majority with their kids lol and that's what sells tickets.

You say this but they had Sum 41, Skindred, Papa Roach, Pendulum this year. Not like Shikari don't get booked while Weezer and ADTR weren't around. NERD in a similar spot to was Dizzee Rascal did before. I've not seen a day as strong as yesterday for a while.

That was the last year I went too, but they still had acts like The Cure, At the Drive In, The Shins, Foos, Black Keys, Justice etc who appeal to older crowds and adds diversity to the audiences. I don't see why they can't have these kinds of acts alongside the teeny bopper acts as well, but they need 12-15 of them to attract people down not 2/3. 

Sounds like the majority of the line up was u16 if they had to go with their parents then. Not exactly a strong market to target as they will change their minds on what they like later on. 

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Off the top of my head, Jack White, Qotsa, The Breeders, The Distillers, Justice, Tame Impala, BRMC, Parquet Courts, David Byrne, Chemical Brothers were playing festivals this year and they would be an improvement on the constant repeats, Courteeners, Vaccines, FOB etc. I'd certainly still go for acts like that and so would many others who no longer go. 

I think Travis Scott takes the best performance tbh, was absolutely surreal with mosh pit after mosh pit only to look at the stage and see fire and smoke shooting everywhere. Wolf Alice and Hinds were also superb even though the crowds for them werent as big as I expected (Hinds had about 3 rows worth of people as they clashed with KOL)