One listen and it changed my life, 2016

FolkMeRight

Sigur Ros - Varud

Absolutely love it. Makes me hate that I had dismissed them in the past as not being my sort of thing.

Been listening to their songs on BSR's playlist and their top songs on Spotify and want to go deeper. What order should I listen to the albums in?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sloseph said:

I'm another Vote for Grimes, I've always been aware of her but it's never really clicked until I heard Art Angels, I swear I've hardly stopped listening to it for about a month now

Pin especially, the line "I was only looking for a human to reciprocate" seems to just reverberate around my head until I listen to it again, then the cycle repeats

Beck is another one they I've never really clicked with but since he was announced I've really got into, not quite as addicted as I am with Grimes but I think that's because there isn't 1 singular album that I'm fixated with  

Art Angels is definitely a track I will be listening to tonight. Thanks for the tip and the line you picked out.

Laura is a great song. Written by the same team behind 'Video games' is it? (I might be completely wrong with this!).

Ezra is great - a must see for me - what's more, his band is great live, and from someone who takes himself far too seriously, they are just FANTASTIC fun. Cannot wait for him, praying he will clash with Adele so we can have a right romp on saturday night.

Similarly - spotifying the arse off Band of Horses. Love it. 

1 hour ago, gluther said:

Sigur Ros - Varud

Absolutely love it. Makes me hate that I had dismissed them in the past as not being my sort of thing.

Been listening to their songs on BSR's playlist and their top songs on Spotify and want to go deeper. What order should I listen to the albums in?

Takk..., Agaetis Byrjun, (  ),  Med sud i eyrum vid spilum endalaust, Kveikur, Valtari, Von

That's not to say which is 'best' to 'least best', just that that's how I would direct a relative newbie through the canon.

Be warned that if SR is an acquired taste, many might argue that Von (which I love) requires more acquiring!

:)

Ben

PS - then you've got 'other stuff' such as Inni (live), Hvarf/Heim (odds and sods - very good ones!) etc.

Edited by bennyhana22

Great to hear from @stixmcvix and others that the playlist is turning people on to new artists! That thought will keep me going as I try to make sense of the obscure corners of the Silver Hayes poster... Been a bit tied up with work and real life, but hopefully SL will be finished soon, Avalon, Left Field and the Common shouldn't take anywhere near as long (in fact many of those artists are already on there).

As for my answer to the OP's question, probably 'The Birth and Death of the Day' by Explosions in the Sky, had a couple of their albums before but hadn't listened for a while and that certainly catapulted them near the top of my watchlist. Honourable mentions to Bixiga 70 - Occupai and vangoffey - Race of Life (yes really!). And I'd forgotten how great Mercury Rev's 'Holes' is - never has a lyric about moles sounded so grand.

Also on board with the Ezra Furman, Wolf Alice and St Paul & The Broken Bones appreciation in this thread.

2 hours ago, FolkMeRight said:

Art Angels is definitely a track I will be listening to tonight. Thanks for the tip and the line you picked out.

I think he meant the album to be honest, the song Art Angels is one of the weakest on the album imo.

Kill vs Maim, Belly Of The Beat, Flesh vs Blood, Venus Fly and Realiti are the big standouts I'd say

Go for Realiti first

7 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

I think he meant the album to be honest, the song Art Angels is one of the weakest on the album imo.

Kill vs Maim, Belly Of The Beat, Flesh vs Blood, Venus Fly and Realiti are the big standouts I'd say

Go for Realiti first

haha yes I got a bit carried away and just put the entire album as my one listen but really any of the tracks you've put there are fantastic, you've missed of Pin though which is a travesty

Another big vote for Ezra for me. The lyrics to Body Was Made are some of the most positive I think I've heard:

Your body is yours/At the end of the day/And don't let the hateful/Try and take it away/We want to be free/Yeah, we go our own way/And my body was made

If he wants to wear a dress and pearls, that's just fine with me. What a boss!

40 minutes ago, northernbro said:

fixed for you :D

her live show looks so much fun as well, definitely won't be missing it sunday night

Noooooo, I loved the demo version and all its roughness but the album version won me over after a few listens. It's much more polished but the warped intro adds a whole other dimension to it. 

Regardless, either version is the perfect way to end the weekend on Sunday night :D

21 hours ago, DefLeppard said:

For me it is Grimes this year. I'd never even heard of her until the lineup announcement and now I've bought two of her albums and she's shot up to #2 on my priorities list! Only beaten by EWF... Which is hugely worrying because they could definitely clash. 

same here bought all her albums after watching her Coachella set, so defo stand out for me....

but if we are taking life changing being late to the party it has to be Sigur Ros and this -

5 minutes ago, Spindles said:

This blew me away on first listen, I've really come to appreciate their catalogue since.  Really hoping they are clash free for me.

Amazing song! They are playing it on some of their new shows! Probably not for a festival though!

I have been listening to Grimes too.  Like the first two albums much more than the recent stuff with the processed voice though.  Also I like to see a proper band on stage with people playing actual instruments.  For that reason I like Ellie Goulding, even though that's not my kind of music.  

Read some live reviews of Grimes, with frequent mention of technical hitches and stops-and-starts.  Someone called it a karaoke show.  Still, she seems very original.  'Rosa' is a great track.  I will look for that Coachella set.

On 06/05/2016 at 11:20 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Another vote for Floating Points...

Quickly ascending my list of acts to see at the festival... heading into the "Must see" category if I keep listening to him/they so much:

ErrMahGerd.... This is SO GOOD. I've totally missed this before now and it is amazing!! 

Clashes on the horizon.... 

To answer the original question... I've not taken much notice of Foals since seeing them around first album. I'm an idiot. 'Albatross' is a fantastic track. 

On 6 May 2016 at 11:20 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Another vote for Floating Points...

Quickly ascending my list of acts to see at the festival... heading into the "Must see" category if I keep listening to him/they so much:

ah man that was awesome. really hoping he doesn't get caught in the middle of a clash at Glastonbury. would be a damn shame to miss him

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

ah man that was awesome. really hoping he doesn't get caught in the middle of a clash at Glastonbury. would be a damn shame to miss him

After yesterday's excitement, I have a nasty feeling that the Eavii are going to knacker me with a Pyramid/WH RH/FloPo clashmare...

:o

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

After yesterday's excitement, I have a nasty feeling that the Eavii are going to knacker me with a Pyramid/WH RH/FloPo clashmare...

:o

Ben

well M83 are still seemingly without a placing on the lineup, and with The Park now apparently hosting this Bowie tribute on Saturday night i have a feeling M83 are gonna sub James Blake on WH, with Floating Points possibly below. i'd still be pissed about missing M83 mind, but guess some clashes are just unavoidable

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 5:00 PM, Spindles said:

This blew me away on first listen, I've really come to appreciate their catalogue since.  Really hoping they are clash free for me.

Jeez that was a stunning album, when you have that, Moonchild and Don't Save Us from the flames to name just three. I was lucky enough to catch them playing lots of that album at Glasto in 2005 - by accident as it happens, loved them ever since. it truly blew me away, as I have mentioned on these forums numerous times before. I also think its absolutely perfect for Glasto, in a tent, with loads of smoke, at dusk. Life affirming stuff it is. Thanks for posting Spindles

4 hours ago, Titters said:

ErrMahGerd.... This is SO GOOD. I've totally missed this before now and it is amazing!! 

Clashes on the horizon.... 

To answer the original question... I've not taken much notice of Foals since seeing them around first album. I'm an idiot. 'Albatross' is a fantastic track. 

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I think only Radiohead will get me missing Mr Points this year. 

On 5/4/2016 at 10:00 AM, shoptildrop said:

same here bought all her albums after watching her Coachella set, so defo stand out for me....

but if we are taking life changing being late to the party it has to be Sigur Ros and this -

Wow just found Sigur Ros... Sigur Ros song "Inni mer syngur vitleysingur" ending is amazing. Biggest new find for me so far on the lineup

https://youtu.be/WgaQC7B3GIE

I have just discovered Eska.  Her debut album was nominated for the Mercury Prize in 2015 (I have found out online), so I don't know how I missed her before.  Very unusual stuff.  Reminds me mostly of Joni Mitchell, but Eska is a Londoner born to parents from Zimbabwe.

'She's in the flowers' is my favourite song so far.   Will try to see her at the festival.