Bring Me The Horizon

chestwig

3 hours ago, 6t6o6m said:

What are you on? They have continuously  toured for the past 10+ years. That's working hard to get where they are.

They have continoualy toured because they are a band and it's their job, it's what they do. It's similar to Biffy in a way, they did their job but went really mainstream in the end to hit the heights.

Edited by thewayiam

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I would disagree they have worked so hard to get there, the produced albums which saw them 5th down or lower down a lineup...then they produced one which could be played on the radio a lot more and got a position based on being played on the radio a lot more.

I think they have worked hard. They've been going since 2003 which is pretty good going for a metalcore band and they've steadily built up themselves a pretty solid fanbase. Whether they are headlining the Other - which we still don't know for sure but it's looking likely - I think it's a brave decision by Emily and quite an exciting booking. There may not be many people watching them but I have a feeling those uninspired by the likes of Coldplay will head over to see what it's all about. And, I'm sure they'll have their own fans at Glasto too, it's a fest that covers a wide range of tastes. 

I do agree that they've reached for a radio-friendly sound. But can you blame them? I doubt there's been much money in what they've done previously, and they've got to make a living somehow. All bands evolve their sound and if they've retained some of their older fans as well, fair play to them. 

I still think Oli Sykes is a massive tool though. 

Edited by dannygrif

40 minutes ago, dannygrif said:

I think they have worked hard. They've been going since 2003 which is pretty good going for a metalcore band and they've steadily built up themselves a pretty solid fanbase. Whether they are headlining the Other - which we still don't know for sure but it's looking likely - I think it's a brave decision by Emily and quite an exciting booking. There may not be many people watching them but I have a feeling those uninspired by the likes of Coldplay will head over to see what it's all about. And, I'm sure they'll have their own fans at Glasto too, it's a fest that covers a wide range of tastes. 

I do agree that they've reached for a radio-friendly sound. But can you blame them? I doubt there's been much money in what they've done previously, and they've got to make a living somehow. All bands evolve their sound and if they've retained some of their older fans as well, fair play to them. 

Well said.

50 minutes ago, dannygrif said:

I don't blame them dude, I never said I did. And yes Oli Sykes is a knob and has proved if he's not screaming he can't sing.

The point is, they could have done this on their 2nd album and be where they were last year, they haved worked hard to get there so much as they have changed their style to get there.

Just now, thewayiam said:

I don't blame them dude, I never said I did. And yes Oli Sykes is a knob and has proved if he's not screaming he can't sing.

The point is, they could have done this on their 2nd album and be where they were last year, they haved worked hard to get there so much as they have changed their style to get there.

No, they probably couldn't have gotten away with that sound two albums in, I don't think. They've taken time to build up a fanbase and significant interest. Their most recent albums were well received by critics, so more doors would have opened up to them. 

They may never have seen themselves going in the direction they have done now. I wouldn't say they have changed their style, yeah it's more melodic and easier to access but it's still retained what the band is at heart. They were only young at the time of their first albums and maybe a little naive, it's completely understandable that they would change their minds on the type of music they want to be putting out as they get older - whether for financial reasons or sheer passion, who's to know? 

1 hour ago, dannygrif said:

There may not be many people watching them but I have a feeling those uninspired by the likes of Coldplay will head over to see what it's all about. And, I'm sure they'll have their own fans at Glasto too, it's a fest that covers a wide range of tastes.

I very much doubt many are going to just decide to head to BMTH because they're not too pushed on Coldplay. maybe if there was only 4 stages they might...

and yes, obviously they'll have fans at Glastonbury. the point is how many, and going by the previous Glastonbury crowds and the overall demographic that goes to the festival compared with their fanbase (going off their own gigs), I'm pretty confident it will be a relatively small Other Stage crowd, unless there's a shitload of mid 20s/30-somethings who are secretly BMTH fans....

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I very much doubt many are going to just decide to head to BMTH because they're not too pushed on Coldplay. maybe if there was only 4 stages they might...

and yes, obviously they'll have fans at Glastonbury. the point is how many, and going by the previous Glastonbury crowds and the overall demographic that goes to the festival compared with their fanbase (going off their own gigs), I'm pretty confident it will be a relatively small Other Stage crowd, unless there's a shitload of mid 20s/30-somethings who are secretly BMTH fans....

I think they will get a bigger crowd than LCD soundsystem.

17 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I think they will get a bigger crowd than LCD soundsystem.

Maybe if this was Leeds/Reading then maybe. But LCD's stock has doubled since when they "broke up". I don't think either will get a big crowd by Glasto standards but LCD's will comfortably be bigger. Plus LCD are up against Muse and BMTH are up against Coldplay...

Majority (I'm being over the top here ) of metal fans are cocks though... Usually 40 year old men who find it funny to push kids over in a pit, lovely bunch of people. Also those metal fans that like to bundle unaware people out of the way at gigs to get to their spot. I like my metal music, but hate metal fans and their self inflated seniority.

So sod what metal fans think.

I do agree on ollie Sykes though, proper tosser and is an bad example of a human being.

Edited by 6t6o6m

2 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Maybe if this was Leeds/Reading then maybe. But LCD's stock has doubled since when they "broke up". I don't think either will get a big crowd by Glasto standards but LCD's will comfortably be bigger. Plus LCD are up against Muse and BMTH are up against Coldplay...

I honestly don't know a single person who likes LCD mate and I see lots of BMTH t shirts around Afflecks Palace. You may be exactly right, but even with the reunion hype (Its hardly Stone Roses reunion hype is it?), I still think BMTH are the bigger band in the UK at present. I honestly do not think BMTH are going to do as badly as people presume they are. 

Their music is really not for me. In fact it would be difficult to actually get any further away from my tastes. The funny thing is I am intrigued to see how they get on. 

24 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

They were a shit metal band even a lot of metal fans couldn't stand, now their a shit metal band playing at being a pop band by swapping guitars for synths and doing a shit job of it.....their also shit live and there frontmans a little shit who when I saw them supporting machine head behaved like a shit child because he didn't get the crowd in the palm of his hand during a shit support set........overall.....utter shit. 

Are you saying that you're a fan, penguin?

Ben

14 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I honestly don't know a single person who likes LCD mate and I see lots of BMTH t shirts around Afflecks Palace. You may be exactly right, but even with the reunion hype (Its hardly Stone Roses reunion hype is it?), I still think BMTH are the bigger band in the UK at present. I honestly do not think BMTH are going to do as badly as people presume they are. 

Their music is really not for me. In fact it would be difficult to actually get any further away from my tastes. The funny thing is I am intrigued to see how they get on. 

This is my thoughts. I think BMTH will go pretty well, think I'll enjoy a change of pace on Sunday evening.

My cousin is a huuuuuge fan of theirs, but I have had absolutely nothing to do with them because that kind of metalcore/tattooed young twat music doesn't appeal to me. I thought I'd give Sempiternal a bash, based on said cuz's feccomendation, and it's . . . . it's alright. It's all a bit clean. This isn't a brand new observation but it's very Linkin Park, very well produced youthful rebellion designed to sell millions. I'd hope they're better live, and it's possible I'll give em a bash, but at present earth wind n fire will win because they'll just be more fun 

2 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I didn't say they would have a big crowd, I still think it will be relatively small.

I just think people having a bimble about on Sunday - maybe feeling a bit worn out after the weekend - might pop over because they're intrigued. After all, it's a different kind of booking for the fest and that might catch the attention of those who perhaps don't have any one headliner they're particularly passionate about on the last day. 

Regardless of your opinion on them (I'm not even a fan), their last two albums were really well received by critics and if nothing, curiosity will bump their crowd numbers up a little. 

1 hour ago, 6t6o6m said:

Majority (I'm being over the top here ) of metal fans are cocks though... Usually 40 year old men who find it funny to push kids over in a pit, lovely bunch of people. Also those metal fans that like to bundle unaware people out of the way at gigs to get to their spot. I like my metal music, but hate metal fans and their self inflated seniority.

So sod what metal fans think.

I do agree on ollie Sykes though, proper tosser and is an bad example of a human being.

What a load of shite.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

Fans at metal shows have always been friendly in my experience. Worst fans are at acts like Arctic Monkeys and I would guess Kasabian/Courteeners, etc.

To be honest, I stuck it in brackets that I was being over the top. I've been to a lot of gigs, the worst for fans was Oasis by a mile. Fights breaking out everywhere, I even remember Noel telling people to behave! 

I just get really peeved off by 17stone metallers walking hard into unsuspecting people with themselves tensed up so they inflict pain. No logic in it and pretty low in my book. I've seen it on numerous occasions, but I've been to many gigs over the years so it's a small percentage of the people. I love a bit of embellishment.

I've seen bring me a few times, mainly due to festival appearances and tagging along with mates. I personally think their stage show / performance has improved greatly over the last year or so. 

I'm pretty sure Oli Sykes said before they were announced the they were 'playing a fesitival that isn't somewhere they'd usually play', so I think they realise they might not draw in a massive crowd. 

2 hours ago, 6t6o6m said:

Did I just describe you to a tee? 

Other than the age, no. Your subsequent posts show that you know it was a liad of shite. I suspect you posted your original comment just to get a reaction. Well done, you got one, I'm sure you're happy.