New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Do you tend to be putting it up yourself? if you do, the air version is an absolute cinch on your own, and much easier than a poled version. Its a two min job. But if you are always putting tents up with other people, then its not a consideration at all really 👍 

Bit of a mix really - there are only 3 poles and, looking at a video that makes everything look simple, they seem to fit into reasonable buckets that probably would hold one side in place so it 'could' be a 1-person job.  Usually help is at hand though - but there's also usually an air-bed which is definitely a vote in favour of the air tent as we'd have brought a better (but probably not a rechargeable battery) pump!

What weight and dollar do decent pumps set you back?

I got the standard issue pump they try and get you to buy on the decathlon website, i did try using my own battery pump but the fitting on the end of the tent are a bit finickity and you kind of have to have a PSI measurement thing - probably by design, so you have to buy their pump - i think it was £15 but you can use it for other things. it inflates a mattress in double quick time cos it has such a decent litre capacity. All in all its a slightly annoying extra bit of money but is useful for a few things, mid-level grumble 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered the 'rod' version from NEXT, about £30 quid cheaper than buying direct from decathlon - so seems a really good price, hopefully it proves value for money over the next decade 🙂 

It arrived yesterday, so I've already had a go putting it up in the back garden.  I can't compare it to the air-pump version, only our old pop-up version.  Overriding thought is, this might be an absolute bugger to put up in the June sunshine after x hours queuing to get on site, and I might be very much wishing that I had gone for the air-pump version!  I did manage to erect it by myself, I thought how hard can it be - just the three poles and pretty much done - but did take a fair bit of effort.  The stretch on the tent to get the poles to meet the points they slot into just wasn't there, so took more exertion than I wanted to give it on a Monday evening, but snapped into place eventually.  Presumably that'll loosen slightly with use (hopefully go camping at least once before G), and be easier with two of us sharing the heaving.

As hoped it's taller, and a bit bigger of an outer area than the pop-up, I'm 6' and was able to stand up properly in the middle of it.  The blackout bed area looks great, looking forward to testing that on a sunny morning (might actually have a proper rest after arriving at G, never manage to resist the urge to just keep going).  Sold with 'an over-sized bag' but still a struggle to fold it down neatly enough - all the under-floor matting are attached so aside from the poles not really anything to take out of the bag to make it less bulky.  Because the whole thing is joined together on the inside, aside from the three poles there is actually very little to do other than getting the tent-pegs into the ground - which was most of the work with the pop-up too.  Overall very happy and excited to get using it properly.

• Like 1

the first time you erect it will always be the trickiest- now you've stretched the material a bit, and bunged some poles into their respective sockets, itll be a bit easier next time. Good work! where you thinking of camping to give it a run-out? 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

the first time you erect it will always be the trickiest- now you've stretched the material a bit, and bunged some poles into their respective sockets, itll be a bit easier next time. Good work! where you thinking of camping to give it a run-out? 

Will see nearer the end of May, probably North Cornwall or South Devon.  Felt there was a chance or ripping something sticking the pole in for the first time - it all gets a bit euphemistic - glad to hear that it gets easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm debating a tent upgrade to one of these this year.

Been using the same 3 man eurohike dome tent for the last 10 years so feel like I can justify it. 

I'm torn between the 3 man XL pop up and the 4.1 arpenaz 4 man although leaning towards the 4.1. 

Its only me and my partner but feel like the older we get the more we appreciate the extra space and the idea of being able to stand seems like a luxury! I just worry about the 4 man being a ball ache to put up as truthfully we're not the most seasoned campers outside of festivals! ... 

6 minutes ago, becs94 said:

I'm debating a tent upgrade to one of these this year.

Been using the same 3 man eurohike dome tent for the last 10 years so feel like I can justify it. 

I'm torn between the 3 man XL pop up and the 4.1 arpenaz 4 man although leaning towards the 4.1. 

Its only me and my partner but feel like the older we get the more we appreciate the extra space and the idea of being able to stand seems like a luxury! I just worry about the 4 man being a ball ache to put up as truthfully we're not the most seasoned campers outside of festivals! ... 

the air ones are amazing and can be done by one person with ease 🙂 just slightly heavier 

18 hours ago, becs94 said:

I'm tempted by the air ones but I have this silly irrational fear that someone will deflate it as a joke 🙈🤣

me too! I've always worried about this.

18 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

no worse than someone snapping a pole ... in fact much better .... can be quickly reinflated in less than 1 min 

Not if they steal your stopper!! 🙂 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

I mean I guess it might happen but if someone wants to Nick something there are much more valuable things 😂

Maybe they've got one too and someone stole their stopper? 

Nah, people can be nobs sometimes, that's all 🙂 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Maybe they've got one too and someone stole their stopper? 

Nah, people can be nobs sometimes, that's all 🙂 

Indeed but we’ve got to page 43 of this thread and it hasn’t happened to anyone yet …. Sure it does happen but you’d have to be fairly unlucky 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Indeed but we’ve got to page 43 of this thread and it hasn’t happened to anyone yet …. Sure it does happen but you’d have to be fairly unlucky 

I think the air ones are better suited to a more traditional kind of family campsite.  I don't think I'd take one to a festival.  That said some friends had one in Pylon a few years back.  It was constantly in a state of semi deflation but this was to do with their assembly rather than someone else's joke! 

The recent announcements have brought me back to the forum (though I keep an eye out more intermittently in the 'off-season'). I have to say that sure: there's the weather thread, the next announcement thread, the headliners thread and the what have you done today thread; they are are all great and all but THIS thread, this thread right here is THE thread of efests. Are we sure it isn't a cult?

For the record I was well indoctrinated last year and I've never slept so well between these and the airbed frames we got.

2 minutes ago, aforest said:

I got the 3man xl poled F&B and found it handy to put up. When taking it down and rolling it up it was too big to go back in the bag. Has anyone got any tips for how to get this right so that it fits?

You can usually find videos of the tent being packed away to show you are meant to do it. Typically this involves first taking out and dismantling the poles, folding the flysheet and bedroom into a strip the same width as the poles, and then rolling that strip around the poles.

As for tips beyond that, I would say leave the zips partly open as sometimes air gets trapped inside as you roll and prevents it being packed tightly. The other tip I would have is just to practice as there is a knack to rolling things tightly. You almost have to pull/press/squeeze it to get it packed properly.

If all else fails, bring a larger bag like a holdall to put the tent in and worry about packing it away once you are home.

54 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

You can usually find videos of the tent being packed away to show you are meant to do it. Typically this involves first taking out and dismantling the poles, folding the flysheet and bedroom into a strip the same width as the poles, and then rolling that strip around the poles.

As for tips beyond that, I would say leave the zips partly open as sometimes air gets trapped inside as you roll and prevents it being packed tightly. The other tip I would have is just to practice as there is a knack to rolling things tightly. You almost have to pull/press/squeeze it to get it packed properly.

If all else fails, bring a larger bag like a holdall to put the tent in and worry about packing it away once you are home.

Thanks for the advice Frankie! I first attempted to pack it up indoors as it was very wet outside so I will practice outside and should get the hang of it

Rolling back up: i put the bag in front of me so i have an approx idea of the desired width needed from my bundle, point the doors towards the end of the rolling direction, and then put everything inside itself so the tent is kind of protected by the bottom sheet, and start rolling. when its rolled i mount it like Steve Irwin mounted alligators, and continue to sit on it while i bung it in the bag. Decent ties to keep it compressed are very helpful.

Its typically a right old wrestle until i get half the zip zipped up, and then it all gets much easier from there. The FnB ones have bigger bags than previous tents ive owned- its not been as much of a ballache as previously. A couple of practices (which is a fairly moist job at this time of year!) and youre good 👍

• Like 1