Sigur Ros

admscott

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He was using an exaggerated form of the rhetoric and the implied values of Sigur Ros to satirise the rhetoric and the implied values of Sigur Ros.

Yes. This is probably true. Good analysis. Didn't realise it was that developed. I'm funnier than I realised. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revisiting Sigur Ros for a second - they are headlining that Citadel event in London. The other headliner is Caribou who played 2nd on West Holts last year. Begs the question, assuming there's not a massive disparity between the two Citadel headliners, do Sigur Ros have to be particularly high on the Glasto bill?

33 minutes ago, theouterlimits said:

Revisiting Sigur Ros for a second - they are headlining that Citadel event in London. The other headliner is Caribou who played 2nd on West Holts last year. Begs the question, assuming there's not a massive disparity between the two Citadel headliners, do Sigur Ros have to be particularly high on the Glasto bill?

it's not so much that Sigur Ros would have to be high on the bill - i think we've all come to terms that they could play lower than Other headliner - it's just that there doesn't seem to be a suitable venue for them. West Holts is obviously perfect size wise, but it generally tends to cater to a specific type of music that Sigur Ros don't fall in to at all. the John Peel is, imo, too small and doesn't seem right at all and again, tends to have different acts topping it's bill, and The Park, although perfect in the type of acts it tends to host, seems far too small. and i guess they could sub Other but they've been pretty picky about playing in the dark in the past so that would be an odd move. so even though it now looks like they will be playing, it's just a case of where the hell they're gonna stick em

2 minutes ago, TheSilence said:

Seems like far too much of a rookie mistake by Citadel to bill them as London exclusives rather than England exclusives if that was the case, though. 

yeah maybe. i just don't want to get my hopes up only for them to be shattered as they're announced for Green Man, although, at the other end of the spectrum, i'm now half expecting them to be announced for Glastonbury but be clashing with LCD Soundsystem on the Friday, which would be even worse than them not playing

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

How can it be worse? Either way you don't see them. Plus it'd be better as it'd give me something to watch Friday night. Just don't clash them with Arthur. 

because then i'd have the knowledge that i could be seeing them, and choosing between LCD and Sigur Ros is no easy thing for me. at least if they aren't there at all i wouldn't have such a dilemma

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Would rather have that dilemma than no dilemma at all. 

nope I'm the total opposite - would rather have everything fall exactly in to place the way i like it, clash free. especially with two of my absolute favourite acts who i've been wanting to see at Glastonbury for ages

LCD on Other the Friday

Sigur Ros on West Holts on the Saturday

i couldn't give a hoot what happens on the Sunday after that

1 minute ago, tommytas said:

Just announced for Bristol Summer Series on June 23rd (alongside James Bay, Catfish and the Bottlemen and The Last Shadow Puppets)

Surely it must be happening...

Unfortunately that rules it out completely. They're only doing 2 UK shows and this is the second one.

Annoying.

3 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Unfortunately that rules it out completely. They're only doing 2 UK shows and this is the second one.

Annoying.

So they played Eden Project on the Sunday in 2013 and now Bristol on the Thursday in 2016. Edging closer at least.

The two UK dates thing was announced in November, so maybe they were already booked for Glasto and snuck another date in after that?

Might take my optimism over to the Radiohead thread

Just now, tommytas said:

So they played Eden Project on the Sunday in 2013 and now Bristol on the Thursday in 2016. Edging closer at least.

The two UK dates thing was announced in November, so maybe they were already booked for Glasto and snuck another date in after that?

Might take my optimism over to the Radiohead thread

Haha to be honest I never expected them to play this year until it got to the point where Glasto seemed the only option left. Would have been odd for them to play with no new material at all. Hopefully an Other headliner next year on the back of a new album. 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

FUCK. There better be some big surprises on this lineup because so far most of the acts I was hoping for are all slowly getting ruled out. Had a feeling some shitty little festival would pop up out of nowhere and announce them 

Just posted similar.

Im not worried about the line up, but this year I am anxious about it. I admit that.

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Just posted similar.

Im not worried about the line up, but this year I am anxious about it. I admit that.

In the past month it's gone from looking like one of the most promising lineups to one I'm totally unsure about. I know it'll deliver, but I thought this was finally gonna be the year when it all added up for me. 2017 it is then!

I think bands like sigur ros just arent even in the minds of the festival bookers these days. Glastonbury will never have a line up like primavera, we were foolish to think there'd be a big crossover of acts.

The main stages are only interested in big record sellers and flavours of the month, with the very very odd exception. We must make our peace with the situation.

Just now, russycarps said:

I think bands like sigur ros just arent even in the minds of the festival bookers these days. Glastonbury will never have a line up like primavera, we were foolish to think there'd be a big crossover of acts.

The main stages are only interested in big record sellers and flavours of the month, with the very very odd exception. We must make our peace with the situation.

The "very very odd exception" is what keeps us coming back...

15 minutes ago, Godofthesandwiches said:

I am bitterly disappointed if they are now ruled out, and if the "two date only" thing is true then I will cry.

Looking at the lineup from last year (George Ezra, Jessie J, Seasick Steve, Kaiser Chiefs) I don't think any of them played Glasto that year, so wondering if that's how the organisers get the acts? Would rule out TLSP, Catfish and James Bay too, all of which i'm less bothered about.

Well that is annoying. I just don't see why Sigur Ros wouldn't stick around for another night  play Glastonbury on the Friday and then head of to Dublin for Sunday. 

They would get more money, TV coverage and logistically it fits!

Also I'm pretty sure the Eden project year they would have had to have done 3 nights in a row to fit Glastonbury in if my memory is correct?

33 minutes ago, Godofthesandwiches said:

I am bitterly disappointed if they are now ruled out, and if the "two date only" thing is true then I will cry.

Looking at the lineup from last year (George Ezra, Jessie J, Seasick Steve, Kaiser Chiefs) I don't think any of them played Glasto that year, so wondering if that's how the organisers get the acts? Would rule out TLSP, Catfish and James Bay too, all of which i'm less bothered about.

george ezra played pyramid last year