James?

EIaine

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

Of all the baffling things on this forum, the mad love for James is right up there.

( I quite like Stutter)

I thought that too until I saw them in the 6 music tent at Latitude in 2014 and was then a convert! Such energy in their live show!

5 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Fair play to @eastynh here, he's taken a lot of shit with wit and humour. Come along to the efests meet, I'll stand you a pint

I will be there mate, will be good to put faces to names. I am going to buy a Reni bucket as well just for the occasion :-)

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Just one or two poor deluded fools for Embrace, but there's bloody hundreds of you in the James cult. You're like the mammies on that Eoin MacLove episode of Father Ted.

:lol: "Eoin McLove has a happy face"

It's the same for Radiohead and Hot Chip on here though (both bands I like). 

6 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Just one or two poor deluded fools for Embrace, but there's bloody hundreds of you in the James cult. You're like the mammies on that Eoin MacLove episode of Father Ted.

Interminably waiting......R.I.P.

James always reminds me of the time in school when I was about 12 when the entire year - 150 of us - abruptly got taken out of class mid way through and brought down to the concert hall to watch a rock band play. They finished with that god awful Sit Down tune. Then we were all told to go back to class. Never explained. A thoroughly weird morning. 

Edited by The Nal

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

James are always nearer to the Super furries than the Shed Sevens of the 90s. 

Give the Laid album a try. I dare you. I reckon James must be your "one band" you were on about a few weeks ago in another thread.

I've got a few James albums from back in the day, inlcduing Laid, Gold Mother, Stutter. Not listened to them for donkeys years, mind.

btw scruffs, you see Fika records are having a sale? the last Stanley Brinks & wave pictures album for a fiver on vinyl?

5 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Don't judge james on sit down. It's like judging Bowie on Let's Dance (not that I'm saying James are in his league).

There's twenty teams in the Premier League so presumably twenty bands/acts, yeah? Same league. Could be the summer's Leicester.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Nah, Leicester getting champions league. Maybe mid-table obscurity for James. Never threatened with relegation, never getting top 6. But Theyre not Championship I suppose so I'll give you that.

If they were given the right slot, they could easily surprise people and grab a CL spot! I think all of PTMY is on YouTube - well worth a listen.

2 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

If they were given the right slot, they could easily surprise people and grab a CL spot! I think all of PTMY is on YouTube - well worth a listen.

Mate I love James, have loved them all my life, but they would not even make the top 4 if the league was just made up from Manchester bands.

They are a fantastic band who thrive on operating on the outskirts of the mainstream, they have a massive cult following which has stuck with them all the way. IMO they are the Everton of the league.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Mate I love James, have loved them all my life, but they would not even make the top 4 if the league was just made up from Manchester bands.

They are a fantastic band who thrive on operating on the outskirts of the mainstream, they have a massive cult following which has stuck with them all the way. IMO they are the Everton of the league.

I can't be sure how damning that praise is from a Mancunian!!

6 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

I can't be sure how damning that praise is from a Mancunian!!

Its not damning at all mate, they are one of my favourite bands. They have a load of top songs and are great live. They are not groundbreaking though. They just make sound, solid, all round pop tunes. Nothing wrong with that all and I continually buy their albums and go and see them live (even though I said this year that I was not going to see them)

You are right, they would surprise a few who seem to have misconceptions about them, the world imo was a lot duller when they jacked it in for a bit. Yet I do not think they can be considered amongst the greats.

Edited by eastynh

I had nothing more than a passing interest in James, liked what I heard but could live without it.

Saw them at Bearded Theory last year and they were superb. Really great live act, apparently they weren't happy as the sound on stage was poor but they sounded superb.