Was that fair?

fullerlove

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With people able to apply from all over the world now on-line makes chances of getting through less and less.It shouldn't be down on to 100% luck at all it should be down to some effort at least and a bit work.

What i suggest is have the starting time earlier, say 5/6am on a Saturday(or even earlier perhaps),yeah it won't suit everyone but the hardcore..... the people want to be there will make the effort of getting up etc instead now we get the coat hangers tagging along with their mates who haven't got a clue why they are going  just to drop into conversion that they are going.

Can't believe people say they get through each time with no problems around the same time on the clock each year.....ive got through once in the April re-sale, even had a chance with the secret sale this year but majority of time i haven't got onto the see tickets website at all..... been even timed out quite often.

Supply and demand, that's all it is. Putting the ticket time in the middle of night won't acheive much other than making lots of people grumpy and paying Seeticket staff overtime (the cost of which will be passed on to ticket holders).

Plus I'm not sure I agree with your point. Nobody 'deserves' to go any more than anyone else. That includes the 'coat hangers tagging along with their mates'.

Remember, it's everyone's first time once.

Luck and a decent connection. Seemed to work much better than last year for me. Last year I got through to the payment form 4 times and it crashed when I tried to submit the details, this year after 10 mins got to the form and it worked fine first time.

I fail to see there being a fairer system with the number of people trying.  For purely selfish reasons a loyalty scheme would probably make it easier for me to get a ticket but I really don't agree with that - it's a privileged, not a right!

One really annoying point about the whole system is getting the registrations page and then a queue after that.  It's such false hope.  I could get onto the 'enter registrations' page without much difficulty but didn't get a sniff after that.

With people able to apply from all over the world now on-line makes chances of getting through less and less.It shouldn't be down on to 100% luck at all it should be down to some effort at least and a bit work.

What i suggest is have the starting time earlier, say 5/6am on a Saturday(or even earlier perhaps),yeah it won't suit everyone but the hardcore..... the people want to be there will make the effort of getting up etc instead now we get the coat hangers tagging along with their mates who haven't got a clue why they are going  just to drop into conversion that they are going.

Can't believe people say they get through each time with no problems around the same time on the clock each year.....ive got through once in the April re-sale, even had a chance with the secret sale this year but majority of time i haven't got onto the see tickets website at all..... been even timed out quite often.

You do realise that the world has different time zones?? Moving it to an earlier time here would just mean people getting up at a different time and then we'd have more people moaning because they got up at stupid o'clock and still fight get a ticket! In my experience those who plan to get a ticket and persist more often than not get one.

At least the people who do get up at stupid o'clock made an effort to do so,that's the point,the quantity of people will be less hopefully  meaning you are prepared to work at it,you may not still get a ticket because that's the nature of the beast. but as it is now get up at eight ,make a cup of tea,read the paper,switch pc on and bingo,eight tickets please.

Since all the tickets go in 30 minutes how much overtime do you think staff at see tickets will need,the costs will be minimal since over 130,000 tickets are sold ,normally its time people get paid in not pounds. 

How do you plan and persist when your in the lap of the internet......no one can plan for it,its luck and nothing less.Try entering the london marathon the odds are even less and you don't get your money back as well lol.

At least the people who do get up at stupid o'clock made an effort to do so,that's the point,the quantity of people will be less hopefully  meaning you are prepared to work at it,you may not still get a ticket because that's the nature of the beast. but as it is now get up at eight ,make a cup of tea,read the paper,switch pc on and bingo,eight tickets please.

Since all the tickets go in 30 minutes how much overtime do you think staff at see tickets will need,the costs will be minimal since over 130,000 tickets are sold ,normally its time people get paid in not pounds. 

How do you plan and persist when your in the lap of the internet......no one can plan for it,its luck and nothing less.Try entering the london marathon the odds are even less and you don't get your money back as well lol.

But how would making it more inconvenient help? It'll just mean that the poor people who had to wake up in the middle of the night and STILL couldn't get a ticket would have two reasons to be upset.

I think it's maybe a little naive to think that you'll have a load of casual fans dropping out if you move it to a very early time. Remember that these are people who have pre-registered, and therefore have every intention of getting a ticket. You can't just decide on the morning of ticket day you want one without planning in advance.

You're right about it being the luck of the internet, and that is exactly why it's the fairest system.

If we're going to reward effort I'd rather go the route of "week of volunteering at accredited charity" than "get up three hours earlier".

I presume you'd also be in favour of one ticket per transaction, one transaction per card, so as to ensure no-one wasn't bothering at all and just relying on friends to get them?

One really annoying point about the whole system is getting the registrations page and then a queue after that. It's such false hope. I could get onto the 'enter registrations' page without much difficulty but didn't get a sniff after that.

I don't really get this either. If the waiting page is the equaliviant of banging on the front door and the registration page the box office, why isn't the flow of traffic limited from that point? If say 100,00 click on their site and it can only cope with a 100 registries pages, why don't they then go straight through to the confirmation screen when they're completed and then straight on to the credit card screen? The traffic has already been reduced down to a manageable number by the registration screen?

Plus I'm not sure I agree with your point. Nobody 'deserves' to go any more than anyone else. That includes the 'coat hangers tagging along with their mates'.

Remember, it's everyone's first time once.

Absolutely! Guess why I went to Glastonbury in 1997? Because my mates had been and I thought it was 'cool'. Turns out it was.

I'd wager that most people don't just up and decide to go to something out of nowhere,  just because they suddenly 'get it' in a vacuum.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Glastonbury aren't going to make it harder for their customers to buy tickets. At the end of the day they just want to sell 130,000 odd tickets to ensure the sustainability of the festival.

It wasn't that long ago that the festival didn't sell out and nearly went bust!

If they ever come round to specifying times in advance, then I'll certainly be happy to look at the coach sale as a serious option (and indeed, at that point I'd support vastly increasing the number of coach-only tickets). Until then, it's of no interest to me.

The coach-packages are a great idea, but there's not much common sense behind them it seems.

Indeed! It would be better if you could get Coach + Ticket,  then after you have the ticket secured, you get first dibs at the Natrional Express coaches from anywhere in the country (and they then have that driver give you your ticket)

Literally everyone I know from Liverpool who tried for a ticket actually did get one whereas I've seen a lot more users on here from other places that didn't get a ticket. Maybe there's something in that. Or maybe I'm just chatting a load of old shite.*

*I'm chatting a load of old shite 

Would explain the accents on site ;)

If one of you never lost the holding page and the other never found it, doesn't that suggest there's more to it than luck alone?

No because you are taking one incident in isolation, if you look at every story posted here over just this year, you can see its just down to luck as almost every single connection/location/"method" has been tried with varying degrees of success.

9am is plenty early enough on Sunday morning! Anyway any moving of the time would suit some some and annoy others. Without excluding people who can't do something like sleep outside a record shop for a couple of days, there not many ways of showing commitment to the cause.

This may of been mentioned, But we had big issues in processing the tickets, it kept rejecting what ever was on the third field for registration numbers saying post code was wrong. but if you put it in the fields above it was fine.

I had this exact same issue. Couldn't make head nor tail of it.

Started with it not accepting 2 of our 6 Postcodes, no matter how often I double checked them. Then suddenly one of them went through without being amended.

At that point I had to delete one of our team from the order - literally my oldest pal that I've known since I was four - in order to buy what I could and hope that someone else would sort him out.

Luckily it happened, but it was like cutting the rope in Touching the Void.

Basically everyone suggests changing the system to make themselves more likely to get a ticket. It's nothing to do with fairness- you could just as well argue that people who 'want to go more' have more than likely already been, so it's more fair to give the chance to people who haven't. And I don't think global demand is as great as you do.

I know most think it's just luck, but I am the only one of my group that ever gets through, and I do live more rural than anyone else in my group.

But of course there always the chance I just try harder than the rest

I don't think you can read anything into that at all. I've been the one to get our tickets for the last two years, the year before I didn't try because I was getting married a week after and our group failed. This year one of our group made a point of saying " remember, don't call until you are through" Only to text my wife at 8:58 asking for the link, then they sent us a picture of a blank screen once the sale started saying is this right? I told my wife to ignore it and concentrate on what we are doing, in the end we got through and they sat there with a blank screen the whole time. They were in bed on their laptop.

My point is you probably do try a lot harder than your friends, as do most people on here.

My point is you probably do try a lot harder than your friends, as do most people on here.

i woke up at 8 in preparation to make sure i had all the right pages open, in different browsers etc. my friend woke up at 8.50, hungover to fuck asking 'so what page do we need then?'. i thought there'd be no chance he'd get through and that he was gonna give up (he usually does with stuff like this, and he's never been to Glastonbury so i doubt the urgency was there), and yet he got through at like 9.05 and said 'that was easy' and went back to bed, whilst i didn't get a sniffle of the page until mere minutes before it sold out where i managed to bag two more of my friends tickets

i woke up at 8 in preparation to make sure i had all the right pages open, in different browsers etc. my friend woke up at 8.50, hungover to fuck asking 'so what page do we need then?'. i thought there'd be no chance he'd get through and that he was gonna give up (he usually does with stuff like this, and he's never been to Glastonbury so i doubt the urgency was there), and yet he got through at like 9.05 and said 'that was easy' and went back to bed, whilst i didn't get a sniffle of the page until mere minutes before it sold out where i managed to bag two more of my friends tickets

I guess that's the "luck" element of the process right there, repeat that scenario 10 years in a row and doubtless you would get tickets more often than your friend would.

One of my group slept through the whole thing, another was very cagey about his set up etc and at 8 o'clock just said he was sorry but had to leave to play football at 9, but best of luck to the rest of us, so frustrating. In a way that's the unfair part of the process, 3 of my group of 6 don't really deserve to go at all. Next year I'm not going to try for anybody that isn't putting similar effort in.

Next year I'm not going to try for anybody that isn't putting similar effort in.

yeah, i get that people have prior reservations etc, but surely they can be pushed back an hour in order to try for tickets. the guy who got my ticket was initially not even gonna try - he just expected me to get them cause i'd been before. had to make him promise he'd get up to try

One of my group slept through the whole thing, another was very cagey about his set up etc and at 8 o'clock just said he was sorry but had to leave to play football at 9, but best of luck to the rest of us, so frustrating. In a way that's the unfair part of the process, 3 of my group of 6 don't really deserve to go at all. Next year I'm not going to try for anybody that isn't putting similar effort in.

To be honest, I'd have take the Football guy out of the group at that point.

Not because he wasn't trying - there's always going to be people who have a conflict or can't do it for whatever reason and I don't mind putting in the effort on their behalf - but pulling a stunt like that is a bit off, he must have known that he couldn't do it weeks in advance and didn't bother to tell you until it was too late?

Its just a lot of hard work and even more luck

I have been lucky to bag tickets in the last 9 years, the last 2 years I got them within 5 minutes. All I have do is have as many devices as possible - 4 old laptops this year - each has 6-8 windows open at the same time using a variety of browsers, set up at 8.45.  I have all the reg details and payment details written down on a piece of paper

Then it me and the missus hammering F5 on each laptop. Press F5 on one tab then immediately F5 the next. By the time you get to the 8th tab you can see if the 1st has changed slightly to the booking screen. If none change then F5 again.

As soon as one screen changes to the booking page then all effort moves to that one and I leave the rest

I think part of the advantage is that I know what the screens look like now so I know there will be boxes for reg details then post codes x6 .I know the next page is the confirmation page, so just check the names and press the button as quickly as possible. Then the payment page, as quick as you can as I have the details in front of me (card number, expiry date and security number) Then press save. If the screen then locks then press back straight away and re-enter the payment details. Then save again, and eventually the wonderful booking confirmation page (took 3 attempts this year)

I have no special kit just some old laptops and  a crappy Sky broadband connection. I haven’t done anything clever and will not change my approach next year. Chrome won the battle this year, last year it was IE, I think the impact of which browser your use is minimal, each year a different browser wins

I also think I have a much better chance having experienced it so many times. I know what the screens will look like and we are hammering F5 as many times as possible to get to the booking screen as quickly as possible. | think that if we are both pressing f5 on each window every ½ second then it gives me a 40x better chance than one person with one tab open and waiting for the auto refresh. Hammering F5 and having multiple computers / windows has been the key for me!

Or I might just be the luckiest man on the planet, which is how I feel at the moment

I will be glad to help anyone without a ticket next April

To be honest, I'd have take the Football guy out of the group at that point.

Not because he wasn't trying - there's always going to be people who have a conflict or can't do it for whatever reason and I don't mind putting in the effort on their behalf - but pulling a stunt like that is a bit off, he must have known that he couldn't do it weeks in advance and didn't bother to tell you until it was too late?

You're right, I did feel pretty miffed about it and should have left him out, I had a feeling already as he had been completely quiet on or wassap group while everyone else was talking about how many laptops they had and so on. The problem is they all know I'm a bit of an obsessive when it comes to things like this and I think just assume I will get them, that may have been the case this year but I think the real strength is having strength in numbers and having as many people trying as possible which they do not seem to grasp. Next year I'm only going to try for people who are also at their computer and introduce some new friends it!