Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

On 11/01/2016 at 2:33 PM, Jacko45 said:

Went to Latitude in 2014, honestly the best festival I ever been to. 

Had been to Kendal Calling & Leeds Festival previous years and the atmosphere and general organisation at Latitude went far an above those. 

Was in Australia last year so had to miss, so cannot wait for this years. 

That was a great year.  Some of the best music and atmosphere I've experienced at a festival.. Not that bothered who's playing, as a good time will be had 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you guys were betting people, how much money would you put on Tame Impala headlining? Dying to see this band but with them only playing in Manchester and London in February and me living slap bang in the middle of the country the only way I'm going to be able to see them is if they do some Festival dates!

Also what are peoples thoughts on New Order fitting the bill somewhere along the lines?

Edited by suttttttt

Bastille - indie headliner for the younger crowd and it seems that one of the headliners was at R+L '15. Would say The Maccabees but Bastille are bigger and on the rise and have a little bit of headline experience. If it wasn't for the R+L hint I'd have definitely said Tame Impala instead.

Pixies - tour dates leading right up to it. Big name that Latitude have never had.

Massive Attack - something more electronic as they usually have. Could be New Order but they'll probably be at Glastonbury and MA having done Glasto recently would be more likely to be an exclusive.

All of that makes sense. Would New Order be big enough to take a headline slot? I think I read earlier on the thread that people were tipping them to headline/appear somewhere on the BBC Radio 6 stage- they have been plugged a fair bit on there.

When is the announcement usually made? Around March time?

I agree and reckon it will be 3 of Massive Attack, Maccabees, Pixies, Tame Impala, New Order and Gorillaz. Maybe LCD as an unlikely but amazing wildcard. 

If I were to bet on 3 it would be Pixies, Maccabees and Massive probably but either way, I reckon it's set to be a good year. 

11 hours ago, suttttttt said:

All of that makes sense. Would New Order be big enough to take a headline slot? I think I read earlier on the thread that people were tipping them to headline/appear somewhere on the BBC Radio 6 stage- they have been plugged a fair bit on there.

When is the announcement usually made? Around March time?

New Order are surely as big, if not bigger, than Maccabees at this moment in time, with the Music Complete comeback album?  Mac Demarco will be playing too, I reckon.  Gorillaz would be a great headline.

Edited by andytommo

Yeah but they're also a completely different kind of headliner. They'd be swapped out for someone else or it'd be all thirty year old bands on comeback albums or something. :P But to respond to sutt's question, yeah they'd definitely headline if they were to play.

I notice not much agreement to my Bastille proposal. Do they not really fit in? I don't know much about them other than a couple of really shit songs.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah but they're also a completely different kind of headliner. They'd be swapped out for someone else or it'd be all thirty year old bands on comeback albums or something. :P But to respond to sutt's question, yeah they'd definitely headline if they were to play.

I notice not much agreement to my Bastille proposal. Do they not really fit in? I don't know much about them other than a couple of really shit songs.

I'm not so sure they do. I do agree with the fact that they would appeal to the younger crowd but for me they are far too pop to be Latitude headliner. Obviously Alt-J were that band last year but they have much more of a niche sound in comparison to Bastille in my opinion.

One of the many things I love about Latitude is that there are over a dozen suggestions for possible Headliners and most of them are feasible (the band is touring, about the right size).

Pixies, Gorrilaz, Maccabees, Tame Impala, Massive Attack, New Order, LCD Sound System, The National, Sigur Ros, PJ Harvey, Beck, TDCC, Bastille...

Some are more likely than others and some more desirable IMHO but I wouldn't be surprised if it was any of those. 

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think they fit in as well as a band like The Maccabees or some of the recent headliners with younger fanbases such as Foals, Alt-J, Two Door etc but I could still see it happening. I reckon The Maccabees are more likely though.

1 hour ago, PDAD said:

I'm gonna go for:

Friday

maccabees obelisk/ guy garvey 6 music

Saturday

massive attack obelisk/ Jamie xx 6 music

Sunday

pixies obelisk/ young fathers 6 music

Not many appealing 6muic headliners for me at the moment, I don't see Young Fathers going from daytime to headlining without doing anything in between. I hold out hope for Robyn, Father John Misty or Explosions In The Sky.

14 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Not many appealing 6muic headliners for me at the moment, I don't see Young Fathers going from daytime to headlining without doing anything in between. I hold out hope for Robyn, Father John Misty or Explosions In The Sky.

Father John Misty would be fantastic. What sort of position would you expect him to play? I'm also hoping for John Grant, Gaz Coombes and Sleater-Kinney but I'm not entirely sure if they'd be big enough for 6 musi headliner. It's tough to predict. 

Just now, PDAD said:

Father John Misty would be fantastic. What sort of position would you expect him to play? I'm also hoping for John Grant, Gaz Coombes and Sleater-Kinney but I'm not entirely sure if they'd be big enough for 6 musi headliner. It's tough to predict. 

Those were my suggestions for 6music headliners, but I suppose he could also be 2nd/3rd down on main. He played the sub spot at Green Man last year and it felt like he could have easily headlined. Sleater-Kinney would be pretty perfect (got Dig Me Out on right now!) but there's nothing to suggest they'll be around after their Australia dates in March. I reckon the tour will be over until the next album. I also think they're a bit too niche for most festivals, they've got an avid fanbase, but I can only think of End Of The Road giving them the crowd they deserve. Footage from the 6music festival last year looked a pretty sorry state, only about 12 people in the audience seemed to be into it, a very very far cry from the fucking rapture that gripped the crowd at the Manchester gig last year.

8 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'd be surprised if Father John Misty headlined 6music. I could imagine him much more on the Obelisk in a similar spot to Laura Marling in 2015 or perhaps a bit higher.

latitude gradually increasing in size over the years, thom yorke with an established relationship with the festival after two solo appearances, radiohead clearly doing the festivals this summer after today's announcements elsewhere.... could it be....?

i doubt it but it would be incredible.