Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

21 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Could The Maccabees headline? I'm not sure if they're quite big enough but I wouldn't be surprised to see them do it on some sort of exclusive given they did Glastonbury and R&L last year. Jamie XX seems like a decent shout for a 6music stage headliner.

Jamie XX fits along the likes of John Hopkins and SBTRKT, I'd say he's almost a shoe-in for that slot. The paradigm last year seemed to be dancey on one stage, rock on the other; Alt-J/John Hopkins - Portishead/The Vaccines - Alan's High Flying Partridges/SBTRKT. I'd guess Jamie XX would go up against Gorillaz, maybe Maccabees could headline the tent against Massive Attack, but they could also do main if they wanted to bump them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

jamie xx has sold out ally pally though, so is a bit too big for second stage id say

Has he? That's very impressive. I reckon The XX will headline one day, but I don't think he'll go from late night second stage at Green Man to headline Latitude in the same album cycle.

4 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Has he? That's very impressive. I reckon The XX will headline one day, but I don't think he'll go from late night second stage at Green Man to headline Latitude in the same album cycle.

oh no, i was thinking second/third from top main stage.

i dont think the xx are touring festivals next year. i think jamie xx is doing his solo thing again in bigger slots!

43 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Unless they become too big and headline Reading. 

can't see that ever happening - they only ever played Reading/Leeds when they were tiny and never returned once they gained success. i doubt they'd be booked to headline. far more likely to take headline slots at Latitude/Bestival/other slightly smaller festivals or a high (sub) slot at Glastonbury i'd have thought

7 hours ago, Tuna said:

I think you do a disservice to Latitude. It's growing year by year. The XX wouldn't be too big now.

You think attendance is growing with that? I never notice the campsite getting bigger or the arena getting more crowded, but there's bigger bands year on year and more stuff getting added.

i posted this on the latitude forum but people may find it of interest here too. i was doing some digging around and found this interview with melvin from reading last year where he suggests that he has booked an act who played reading/leeds last year to headline latitude this year.... www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34105813/leedsreading-boss-melvin-benn-young-fathers-can-headline-the-festival

the relevant bit can be found at the end of the interview. looking at the acts who played last year my guess would have to be the maccabees, bastille, years and years or royal blood. none of them really get my juices flowing but there you go...

20 minutes ago, mercury said:

i posted this on the latitude forum but people may find it of interest here too. i was doing some digging around and found this interview with melvin from reading last year where he suggests that he has booked an act who played reading/leeds last year to headline latitude this year.... www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34105813/leedsreading-boss-melvin-benn-young-fathers-can-headline-the-festival

the relevant bit can be found at the end of the interview. looking at the acts who played last year my guess would have to be the maccabees, bastille, years and years or royal blood. none of them really get my juices flowing but there you go...

Seems that way. I wouldn't bet against The Maccabees now, then. Royal Blood would be a no-brainer if they were appropriate, which I don't really think they are, I think Years + Years are a bit too new and played last year. Additionally Jamie T probably won't be touring and Catfish and the Bottlemen same as Years + Years in what's going against them. That just leaves Bastille who might actually make the most sense but I just don't wanna think about that. :P

Cheers for posting though, surprised nobody spotted that since August.

Also I didn't realise there was still a Latitude forum. I bought a kitchen from there.

50 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah, M83 seems a good shout for a sub/3rd down or a 6music headliner.

i agree it's likely m83 could play but maybe not that high up. they played in 2012 and were 3rd down in the 6music tent. i don't think they've grown enough since then to warrant much of a move up the lineup really.

4 minutes ago, mercury said:

i agree it's likely m83 could play but maybe not that high up. they played in 2012 and were 3rd down in the 6music tent. i don't think they've grown enough since then to warrant much of a move up the lineup really.

Ah really? I thought they were that sort of size before Hurry Up, We're Dreaming and that album seemed to give them a bit of a boost but I suppose that album had been out for the best part of a year by the time they played Latitude in 2012. You're probably right then.

51 minutes ago, mercury said:

Nah they were playing pretty small venues on the initial tour and will have been booked more in line to that, and then their last show here was selling out Brixton so I think that the slot might have been a bit small for them at the time due to success coming quite suddenly. 6music headliners would be a perfect fit but I kind of expect them to headline Green Man or EOTR instead.

Went to Latitude in 2014, honestly the best festival I ever been to. 

Had been to Kendal Calling & Leeds Festival previous years and the atmosphere and general organisation at Latitude went far an above those. 

Was in Australia last year so had to miss, so cannot wait for this years. 

6 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

Went to Latitude in 2014, honestly the best festival I ever been to. 

Had been to Kendal Calling & Leeds Festival previous years and the atmosphere and general organisation at Latitude went far an above those. 

Was in Australia last year so had to miss, so cannot wait for this years. 

My first time I went to Latitude I'd only been to Leeds and V before, I was really surprised by it and got seriously taken in. Been back every year since, even with all the other great festivals in the UK, Latitude always feels like the highlight of my year, never lets me down. I'll go every year as long as they keep it running.

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

My first time I went to Latitude I'd only been to Leeds and V before, I was really surprised by it and got seriously taken in. Been back every year since, even with all the other great festivals in the UK, Latitude always feels like the highlight of my year, never lets me down. I'll go every year as long as they keep it running.

Exactly the same, just love the atmosphere feels very safe and friendly. 

Yes you get rowdy and loud people, but everyone there just to have a great time not trouble.

Kendal and Leeds Fest had started to feel actually quite unsafe in my opinion, too many young people on drugs they couldn't handle.