NFR NFC 2016 - The Friendly Thread for Lovely People

jeffie

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Well today has been a good Glastonbury practice , been on the beverages since lunchtime, danced my socks off the various music, including scouting for girls and Rick parfitt Jnr band live , and bounced more than once to a random indie tune.

Ah, yes - but what was 'Chico Time' like!?

• Replies 19.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lucyginger

• mr gumby

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

Ah, yes - but what was 'Chico Time' like!?

Chico time was hilarious , I didn't realise he has a keep fit business. Hats off to him for milking his 5 minutes of fame all these years later. Can't sing but runs a fun fun bootyfit class :-) 

image.jpg

Edited by Funkyfairy!

15 hours ago, Brunette said:

Think I'm going to brave it and ask for unpaid leave on the Friday...I can cope with the night drive back I just have to stop partying early Sunday aft... then again I could have a Sunday night last blast...maybe I should ask for two days first and then barter for one... I think you've given me a plan!!! ;)

Be braver and get a sick note, exams are pretty much over by then :-). Thats what someone in our group is doing. The whole teachers holidays thing is nonsense if you ask me, all teachers should be given a limited number of days to take off in term time.

9 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

I don't think I could have a job that didn't let me have time off I wanted! I'm too selfish! 

In other news, after a very productive weekend, I am now having a gin and watching Columbo. Rock on! 

I love Columbo.

But not the later ones. Peter Falk looks too weird in the later ones.

Ben

Just now, lucyginger said:

Yeah they've got to be the old ones, they are brilliant! Sundays wouldn't be Sundays without Columbo.

I love you, Lucy Loo, but I just can't let those rogue apostrophes go**..!

Sorry :ph34r:

Ben

**Grammar/punctuation fascism is a disease, you know...

Today, I have mostly been taking cups of tea out to my husband in the garden. He has been starting our Glastonbury preparations by putting all our camping chairs on the lawn from the shed to check that they are still sturdy and intact. They are.

He has also moved all our festival boxes into one stack in the shed for easy access nearer the time. I thought we had two festival boxes but it would appear there are six! SIX! He will prune the contents nearer the time but the quantity of 'stuff' we have is because he takes everything but the kitchen sink whenever we go anywhere for more than a couple of nights.

It does mean, however, that if anyone near us in the campervan east fields needs to borrow any duct tape, a plaster for a cut finger, a pair of scissors, a funnel for filling water carriers, or pretty much anything else, he's your your man! I have watched him help so many people out at festivals it makes me want to post about him on the 'Heartwarming moments' thread here. But this thread will do.

As for me, apart from finalising our stay at an Airbnb place on the Monday night, I have generally been watching Sunday Brunch, a couple of old Columbo episodes, and reading the Sunday Times in between perusing these boards. In other words, I am a lazy sod with a wonderful husband!

4 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

Today, I have mostly been taking cups of tea out to my husband in the garden. He has been starting our Glastonbury preparations by putting all our camping chairs on the lawn from the shed to check that they are still sturdy and intact. They are.

He has also moved all our festival boxes into one stack in the shed for easy access nearer the time. I thought we had two festival boxes but it would appear there are six! SIX! He will prune the contents nearer the time but the quantity of 'stuff' we have is because he takes everything but the kitchen sink whenever we go anywhere for more than a couple of nights.

It does mean, however, that if anyone near us in the campervan east fields needs to borrow any duct tape, a plaster for a cut finger, a pair of scissors, a funnel for filling water carriers, or pretty much anything else, he's your your man! I have watched him help so many people out at festivals it makes me want to post about him on the 'Heartwarming moments' thread here. But this thread will do.

As for me, apart from finalising our stay at an Airbnb place on the Monday night, I have generally been watching Sunday Brunch, a couple of old Columbo episodes, and reading the Sunday Times in between perusing these boards. In other words, I am a lazy sod with a wonderful husband!

Fabulous! How very organised! 

7 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

I'm a fellow sufferer Ben. Can't bear dangling participles either (shame it's not Friday)

Nice to know I'm not alone!

BTW - I think I'm correct in saying that you were one of the tiny handful of SR winners, yes? Well done!

Was it for you, or a friend?

Ben

38 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

No, blame me. It's an affliction. I can't help myself!

:)

Ben

I'm the same - I'm far from perfect but some things really wind me up. In particular, the difference between fewer/less and lose/loose. But I suppose Autocorrect doesn't help!

Anyway, this morning a friend posted this grammar test (I passed with 100% marks).

if the link works, have a go: http://www.buzzhearts.com/en/blog/heres-the-grammar-test-experts-claim-only-those-with-an-above-average-iq-can-ace-did-you-pass-it/1144/?vt=2016-05-15-07%3A35

11 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

I'm the same - I'm far from perfect but some things really wind me up. In particular, the difference between fewer/less and lose/loose. But I suppose Autocorrect doesn't help!

Anyway, this morning a friend posted this grammar test (I passed with 100% marks).

if the link works, have a go: http://www.buzzhearts.com/en/blog/heres-the-grammar-test-experts-claim-only-those-with-an-above-average-iq-can-ace-did-you-pass-it/1144/?vt=2016-05-15-07%3A35

A+! Woo! 

9 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

Not to start yet another discussion about our biggest language niggles, but of my hundreds, three biggies (especially on this site - not this thread, you understand!) are:

'of' instead of 'have' (should of...argh)

Their/they're/there

Your/you're

I know it's old fartish, but the problem for me is that I just don't buy into the argument that it's because language is evolving with texting, social media etc. and that, in that context, the kids can use 'innaccurate' language. I'm afraid that, as the father of three teenagers, they just don't know correct language anymore...

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Not to start yet another discussion about our biggest language niggles, but of my hundreds, three biggies (especially on this site - not this thread, you understand!) are:

'of' instead of 'have' (should of...argh)

Their/they're/there

Your/you're

I know it's old fartish, but the problem for me is that I just don't buy into the argument that it's because language is evolving with texting, social media etc. and that, in that context, the kids can use 'innaccurate' language. I'm afraid that, as the father of three teenagers, they just don't know correct language anymore...

Ben

Those are the ones that annoy me most too! It is just laziness, not social fecking media. Humph. 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Nice to know I'm not alone!

BTW - I think I'm correct in saying that you were one of the tiny handful of SR winners, yes? Well done!

Was it for you, or a friend?

Ben

Thank you Ben I did indeed manage to bag a couple of tickets.  It was for an efester who posted such a heartbreaking message after missing out in April that I offered to help him in the secret resale.  He sent me such a lovely email afterwards:  thinking he'd lost his chance of going to the festival one more time before it becomes too difficult, he was messaging his friend (who I also got a ticket for), to explain the tickets had sold out before he'd had chance to finish putting in his details.  At which point she told him she'd had a confirmation email, and then he realised he had too.  Also made his friend's daughter ecstatic after a miserable SATS week as she gets to go too.

I am polishing my somewhat tarnished halo :)

Just now, dizzymoo said:

Thank you Ben I did indeed manage to bag a couple of tickets.  It was for an efester who posted such a heartbreaking message after missing out in April that I offered to help him in the secret resale.  He sent me such a lovely email afterwards:  thinking he'd lost his chance of going to the festival one more time before it becomes too difficult, he was messaging his friend (who I also got a ticket for), to explain the tickets had sold out before he'd had chance to finish putting in his details.  At which point she told him she'd had a confirmation email, and then he realised he had too.  Also made his friend's daughter ecstatic after a miserable SATS week as she gets to go too.

I am polishing my somewhat tarnished halo :)

I know I'm new in terms of attendance, but I'm an old hand in terms of being someone who feels most at home in a festival environment, and have been a 'follower' of Glastonbury forever.

I don't think that those unfamiliar with the festival can have any idea of the sort of acts of selfless kindness that Glastonbury engenders. It truly can, and does, bring out the very best in people, and for this reason, amongst the myriad others, it is unique. I realise that it is a very different place to 20, 30 years ago, and many of the old hands on eFests, who I like very much, bemoan the fact that the festival is nothing like what it was. But do you know what? I don't think that the intangible Glastonbury Spirit is under any threat for a good while yet.

God, I love the place, after just one visit. I truly feel 'at home' there.

Big up to you for that fantastic success, diz.

:)

Ben