MJB

roman_skidoo

I'm not generally a fan of standing in front of the Pyramid in the pouring rain, but this was just outstanding in every way.

I've been going since '81 and this was quite simply the best Pyramid performance I've heard and that includes Bowie and Neil Young, the real thing, tears. Everyone there, in the crowd and on the stage realised that right there in front of us, MJB was giving the performance of her life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02tstlw/glastonbury-2015-mary-j-blige#group=b007r6vx

music-glastonbury-2015-day-one-mary-j-bl

Edited by bamber

If you want pitch perfect vocals stick on an album & listen at home, she brought raw passion & energy that I've only ever seen a few other performers match.

Yeah good point, actually why do I bother going to Glastonbury at all, I could just listen to albums?

In fact, no criticism of a live vocal is ever warranted because the critic could simply 'stick on an album and listen at home'.  

Yeah good point, actually why do I bother going to Glastonbury at all, I could just listen to albums?

In fact, no criticism of a live vocal is ever warranted because the critic could simply 'stick on an album and listen at home'.

I kind of know what you mean with the criticisms of her voice, but it's just a different experience where the imperfections actually make the performance. There was one note she hit (I think in NMD) where I thought it was the wrong note, but she held it and sold it. It didn't matter whether it was in tune or not, it *was* the right note. Mary J convinced me with her passion and emotional honesty. That kind of imperfection just wouldn't be put on record. Incidentally I felt a similar thing with John Grant in The Park last year.

Having said that, she was in tune 99% of the time.

Edited by stuartbert two hats