It's Election Day

Martin Ashford

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milliband comes across as a gormless, bumbling fool.

The fact that, despite that, he managed to reach the top of one of the two largest political parties in Britain, suggests to me that he must be bloody brilliant at his job.

Likewise Cameron comes across as a pompous twat. Perfect for the party he leads.

We are in what is officially a Tory safe seat (majority 12k in 2010) but 10 years ago it was a Labour/Tory marginal.

Sadly we are now a three way fight as the Ukrap party has lots of support and won the Euro elections here last year by a long way.

I voted Green because both my head and heart said that was the right thing to do.

love the thought of Dizzee Rascal and Roots Manuva standing for election.

Wealth is always made on the backs of the poor, very rarely is it truly earned by the wealthy.

In your opinion.

My Dad was the son of a railway worker and so wasn't from a privileged background but he worked ridiculously hard to gain a university place and a degree in engineering. When he graduated he then spent 15 years working six-day weeks of 15 hour days to gain his millionaire status as the MD of a successful engineering company, almost at the expense of his marriage and his relationship with me. None of his gains were obtained on the "backs of the poor" and even when he went bankrupt in the early nineties at no point did he ever sit back and think "what a waste of time that was". No, he got his head down, took on a variety of bad jobs, and gradually built up enough money to be able to set up another company so he could once more afford the lifestyle he'd "earned" before his bankruptcy. I can see why people might have problems with those born with a silver spoon inheriting wealth but claims that all wealth is hoarded and at the expense of the working class is absolute nonsense. It's the left-wing sense of entitlement that means I'll always lean to the right even though I'm about as middle-grounded as possible.

John Hemming is my local MP so I'll be voting Labour, only the Lib Dems or Labour can win in my constituency. Also fighting my own election today as a Green Party candidate, fingers crossed we get more than a handful of votes!

Good luck, hope you get enough votes to get the deposit back at least!

when you inherit your parents mansion will you have earned it?

a ) It's not a mansion and

b ) I won't have earned any inheritance but it's only fair that my family should be allowed to pass down whatever gains they have earned. Otherwise what's the point in having any ambition to provide for your family. You may as well just aspire to earn (or take) as much as you need to get by. With that attitude no one prospers.

Edited by Withakay

In your opinion.

My Dad was the son of a railway worker and so wasn't from a privileged background but he worked ridiculously hard to gain a university place and a degree in engineering. When he graduated he then spent 15 years working six-day weeks of 15 hour days to gain his millionaire status as the MD of a successful engineering company, almost at the expense of his marriage and his relationship with me. None of his gains were obtained on the "backs of the poor" and even when he went bankrupt in the early nineties at no point did he ever sit back and think "what a waste of time that was". No, he got his head down, took on a variety of bad jobs, and gradually built up enough money to be able to set up another company so he could once more afford the lifestyle he'd "earned" before his bankruptcy. I can see why people might have problems with those born with a silver spoon inheriting wealth but claims that all wealth is hoarded and at the expense of the working class is absolute nonsense. It's the left-wing sense of entitlement that means I'll always lean to the right even though I'm about as middle-grounded as possible.

Well said. I'm in shock by the amount of people that instantaneously jumped down your throat.

Wealth itself isn't the issue, its how those wealthy people act and contribute that people should be angry about.

A) It's not a mansion and

B) I won't have earned any inheritance it but it's only fair that my family should be allowed to pass down whatever gains they have earned. Otherwise what's the point in having any ambition to provide for your family. You may as well just aspire to earn (or take) as much as you need to get by. With attitude no one prospers.

Elizabeth Warren summarises it well:

There is nobody in this country who got rich on their own. Nobody. You built a factory out there - good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory... Now look. You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea - God bless! Keep a hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along

In your opinion.

So he made millions of pounds by exploiting the workers of his company, and is now aghast at the thought of having to give a little bit back in tax.

What a vile tory shit. I hope he gets squeezed until his pips squeak.

b ) I won't have earned any inheritance but it's only fair that my family should be allowed to pass down whatever gains they have earned. Otherwise what's the point in having any ambition to provide for your family. You may as well just aspire to earn (or take) as much as you need to get by. With that attitude no one prospers.

I know you're trying your best not to sound like a spoilt son of a millionaire but you're still coming across as a c**t to me!

Yes, it's perfectly fair that the rich are able to hoard all the wealth.

In your opinion.

I wouldn't deny that your dad worked hard to get to that position, I don't know him after all. I would however question whether any job in the world is that difficult someone should be able to earn millions doing it.

Voting Green today, Voted lib dems last time but the lying backstabbing shites (especially on tuition fees) will never get my vote again.

Leeds North East is a labour stronghold and I my support for the Greens will at least hopefully get them their deposit back and go towards their national total percentage. The more votes they get the less the media can make them out to be a politically insignificant party.

They're the only true left and anti austerity voice out there. Labour will tell you they are left but they don't even know what they stand for these days I don't think.

best realistic outcome is labour led coaltion propped up by the SNP and Greens / Plaid

Edited by Memory Man

I know you're trying your best not to sound like a spoilt son of a millionaire but you're still coming across as a c**t to me!

And quotes like this just make you sound like a spoilt child who doesn't get to benefit from other people's hard work.

Voting Labour.

It'll be a close run thing here in Sheffield Hallam. It's currently Clegg's seat and he had a sizeable majority last time. The Labour candidate has run a good campaign though and it's going to be a close one. Just hoping the Tories don't all vote tactically to save Clegg.