Headliners 2016

thewayiam

9 hours ago, ericlered said:

Good info, thanks. This means New Order headlined a few months before they even put out their debut album. They only played 8 songs as well. Surely they can't have been headlining?

Edit: Think they played before Hawkwind, blimey.

Hawkwind were the headliners on the Friday night. New Order were still very much akin to Joy Division but didn't look very comfortable on stage as they were faced with thousands of die hard Hawkfans like myself. Dave Brock was very unimpressed with them. The crowd started to get angry when Hawkwind's set was cut short because of the curfew.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, new here so please don't hate! Just wondering if there is actually any credibility behind the radiohead rumours? I personally don't mind muse or coldplay but given this will be my 8th glasto I just feel it's a bit samey booking two bands that have both headlined in the past 6 years. At least with Adele they'd be mixing things up a bit, not a big fan of her music but I'd be intrigued 

6 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Don't get Biffy Clyro at all. Not even in a "ach they're Scottish so I should at least pretend to like them" way. Nah. Not for me. 

Not sure if its my age or owt but I couldn't name a single song by them/him. I am familiar with the name but thats about it. 

10 minutes ago, chown95 said:

Hi, new here so please don't hate! Just wondering if there is actually any credibility behind the radiohead rumours? I personally don't mind muse or coldplay but given this will be my 8th glasto I just feel it's a bit samey booking two bands that have both headlined in the past 6 years. At least with Adele they'd be mixing things up a bit, not a big fan of her music but I'd be intrigued 

Neil (guy who runs this site) has had info that they're playing (playing - not neccasserily headlining) and their tour dates line up nicely; but there's been more stuff pointing to it being Muse so who knows? Sure do hope it's Radiohead though. Would make my festival 

9 minutes ago, chown95 said:

No hate here :) Yes, there is some credible evidence, it was supplied by the same anonymous tipster that told Neil (the site admin, posts as 'efestivals') that Radiohead were playing The Park in 2010. 

Unfortunately, there is lots of noise about Muse and Adele playing and despite a very strange tip that Muse would be playing a non-secret, non-headlining slot it seems to be looking increasingly unlikely that it's Radiohead. Still, you would expect them to play at least one UK festival and there is still a suitable gap in their schedule, so who knows? I certainly hope they will play.

Welcome to the forum, come over to the Radiohead thread and post a list!

5 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Not sure if its my age or owt but I couldn't name a single song by them/him. I am familiar with the name but thats about it. 

Same. I know I've heard their stuff on the radio or whatever but nothing makes a lasting impact. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Neil (guy who runs this site) has had info that they're playing (playing - not neccasserily headlining) and their tour dates line up nicely; but there's been more stuff pointing to it being Muse so who knows? Sure do hope it's Radiohead though. Would make my festival 

Ah cheers, I agree they'd be a brilliant addition to the lineup! 

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No hate here :) Yes, there is some credible evidence, it was supplied by the same anonymous tipster that told Neil (the site admin, posts as 'efestivals') that Radiohead were playing The Park in 2010. 

Unfortunately, there is lots of noise about Muse and Adele playing and despite a very strange tip that Muse would be playing a non-secret, non-headlining slot it seems to be looking increasingly unlikely that it's Radiohead. Still, you would expect them to play at least one UK festival and there is still a suitable gap in their schedule, so who knows? I certainly hope they will play.

Welcome to the forum, come over to the Radiohead thread and post a list!

Thanks, you've made me feel extremely welcome :) I have to admit Muse playing a non-headlining slot seems very strange, not only because they are a headliner sized band but I can't imagine them playing in daylight. Part of what makes Muse so good live is the extravagant light show they put on, I really can't see them playing an earlier slot but who knows! 

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

Biffy are always a weird one on festival bills, i didn't go but their reading set looked incredible. they've said their new stuff will be a return to their roots, which is weirder and less accessible, so i'm assuming by next year we'll be able to have them as a sub easily.

I think it's definitely safe to say that come the next album after this new one they'll be back as subs/lower than headliners on most festival bills, which is no bad thing

31 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Don't get Biffy Clyro at all. Not even in a "ach they're Scottish so I should at least pretend to like them" way. Nah. Not for me. 

Seen them once. Glastonbury 11.

I'd watched BB King, and wanted to watch Moz. I could either leave or stay where I was and watch Biffy. After 5/6 songs all I thought was "why didn't I go back to the tent to pick some shit up?"

They were shite.

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Seen them once. Glastonbury 11.

I'd watched BB King, and wanted to watch Moz. I could either leave or stay where I was and watch Biffy. After 5/6 songs all I thought was "why didn't I go back to the tent to pick some shit up?"

They were shite.

Drugs > the Clyro

Just as I suspected 

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Shed Seven is the weirdest band name ever. Did they all used to hang out in a fucking shed or something? Just odd.

This will make me look like the Shed Seven fanboy I was as a young teenager. They first rehearsed in shed number seven of some former railway sheds in York and took their name from it, if I remember correctly.

9 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

This will make me look like the Shed Seven fanboy I was as a young teenager. They first rehearsed in shed number seven of some former railway sheds in York and took their name from it, if I remember correctly.

Well, I suppose that's acceptable. I thought there was no way you'd fit a band of 7 in a normal garden shed, but a railway shed, I suppose it makes sense. They're off the hook.

11 hours ago, Purple aki squat said:

Shed seven?

Headliners thread?

You ok friend?

Made a change from talking about Coldplay and Stone Roses :D

Whilst people bang on about Blur and Oasis, I think Shed Seven were a much better representation of what it felt like to be living though that whole mid-90's brit pop thing.  You can keep your "girls and boys" and your "champagne supernovas", "Getting Better" was the attitude.  Then the millennium arrived and it all went to shit.   I'd go as far to say Maximum High was (in retrospect) a better album for summing up that period than A Great Escape and (Whats the Story) Morning Glory.

So... Parallel Lines to close Sunday on the Pyramid please :)

9 hours ago, theevilfridge said:

Biffy would've been a great headline booking. I think it's very sad that Coldplay and (probably) Muse were given the call again when such a deserving band were in the perfect place to do it.

word I heard is that Glastonbury don't see them as headliners, tho I can't verify that's true.

And if Biffy are co-headining Reading/Leeds this year as I've been told they are, then I think it's fair to say that Glastonbury have a fair point.