Headliners 2016

thewayiam

They are easily big enough, but maybe not popular/current enough at this moment - esp here in the UK. They are so much bigger than Mumford for example, but not as relevant.

at the time of Mumford headlining the festival, not a chance - you would've been hard pressed to find a more sought after act than Mumfords at that time

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at the time of Mumford headlining the festival, not a chance - you would've been hard pressed to find a more sought after act than Mumfords at that time

Eh? Even the other two headliners of that year were a lot bigger. Obviously Mumford and Sons were popular but not that popular.

no, they aren't bigger than Mumford, both have played arenas mostly on their last tours here, but Pearl Jam's last 3 albums haven't gone more than Silver here. Mumford's first 2 have gone multi-platinum and the current one is Gold. Mumford have headlined bigger festivals here over the last few years too, Reading/Leeds, TITP and Glastonbury are a much bigger deal than IoW and Calling...

Eh? Even the other two headliners of that year were a lot bigger. Obviously Mumford and Sons were popular but not that popular.

they were pretty universally ginormous. obviously it hasn't lasted, and in the long run other acts are bigger, but at the time they were unbeatable - and more to the point - much bigger than Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam haven't been that big since the early 90's

no, they aren't bigger than Mumford, both have played arenas mostly on their last tours here, but Pearl Jam's last 3 albums haven't gone more than Silver here. Mumford's first 2 have gone multi-platinum and the current one is Gold. Mumford have headlined bigger festivals here over the last few years too, Reading/Leeds, TITP and Glastonbury are a much bigger deal than IoW and Calling...

agreed, making them more relevant here in the UK. This is why you are probably right, Pearl Jam may not be 'big' enough to headline here in the UK at a non-rock festival. But, Pearl Jam are a massive band, one of the biggest in the world in the 90s and are held in very high regard by millions of people. 

Muse said they hope to be there next year.

The Mirror said Fleetwood Mac are playing.

The Sun said Coldplay are playing.

They are the biggest clues we've had so far aren't they? Everything else just seems to be speculation based on tour dates (of course, the same could be said for the tabloid articles!)

They are the biggest clues we've had so far aren't they? Everything else just seems to be speculation based on tour dates (of course, the same could be said for the tabloid articles!)

The Sun said Foo Fighters as well.

But wasn't that just the reporter guessing that the other 2 headliners were Foos + Adele? The article was mainly about Coldplay.

Nope, they outright claimed that the Foo Fighters were confirmed, and even made the utterly inaccurate statement: "That now means two of the three headliners for next year’s festival have been announced."

I think the fact it was in June/July weakens it quite a bit probably. Having previously assumed that the Foos were nailed on, I'm now leaning towards not playing.

The key for me is that the PinkPop promoter originally said something along the lines of that he expected them back next year (can't remember the exact wording, it wasn't an outright confirmation but it came close) - but he's now apparently said that it's been pushed to 2017.

I feel nauseous.

Are we still on about t'Arndale?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Could Pearl Jam be an outside bet? 

The are rumoured to be completing a huge North American Tour during the first half of next year, finishing in May. A hope over to Europe would surely be on the cards after this... or is this just wishful thinking??

Fwiw, I think Coldplay are a shoe-in (unfortunately), but can see a huge classic band like Radiohead, ACDC or Pearl Jam to be announced. 

there's already a whole thread on Pearl Jam and the conclusions are as follows.

Yes, they are easily big enough to headline - they played a stadium show last summer. They've headlined IoW and R+L

they are one of the best live bands on the planet. If they played it would be epic and many of the curious would come away devotees.

they are probably not on the Eavii' radar so we'll be lucky to have them.

so all this talk of record sales and 'relevance' is at best only part of the story.

Just seen that myself. It was a very knowing smirk as well when he answered. Something is definitely happening. I can't see them starting a tour at Glastonbury though (assuming they don't announce something in the near future). I don't see it next year.

Noel is on Soccer AM now. Fenners asked him "Do you know what is going on with The Roses?". Noel's reply was roughly "I do know what's going on with The Roses. The Roses are blooming". His face was a give away as well.