Glastonbury 2015 - Where's the hip hop?

Gingerpops

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it until proved otherwise, Doomtree!

Current tour dates :

06.25.15 Bristol, England The Fleece United Kingdom
06.26.15 London The Garage United Kingdom
06.27.15 London Barfly United Kingdom
------- Hello space for Glastonbury Festival -------
07.02.15 Roskilde Roskilde Festival Denmark
It is a bargain booking too, you get the full crew and you get individual sets, would love to see P.O.S and Dessa for sure as well as full crew set.

I've said the same thing previously as well. My friend also wrote on there FB group to ask if they were due to play Glastonbury and they liked the post (though didn't respond directly). Really hope they do play, it seems to be likely that they will. I'm seeing Dessa on Thursday, so very much looking forwards to that.

Seeming as FlyLo is there I'm hoping for a Captain Murphy set. I will also be more than thrilled if MF Doom turns up in the next round of names.

yes to both of these! be such a waste if FlyLo doesn't do a Captain Murphy set as well. and MF Doom would be incredible. i think those two acts alone would keep me happy hip-hop wise

surprised that ASAP Rocky isn't announced (yet).

he's playing Bravalla in Sweden on the Thursday, then no appearances for Glastonbury weekend, then playing Open'er in Poland the following Wednesday

surely he's going to have at least 1 european date in those 5 or so days off...

I know he's been around for a couple of years now but i don't think i'll ever get over how similar his name is to Aesop Rock

really winds me up every time i see him mentioned

on a similar note i'd give Michael Eavis a dutch rudder is Aesop Rock appears on the line up

Oh, I see. It's 'ironic' music made by twats. Thanks for clearing that one up.

Or you know, not all things must be super serious. However it can occasionally have a point :

^^^ stick around to the end.

Also Jim Burke is awesome for his other work as well, Collapsed Lung and Junior Blanks were ace :D

jamiemaher

Jealous of the Dessa tickets, I didn't think they would sell out so fast.

Action Bronson is a good shout... would like to see Brother Ali and Rhymesayers

Also when the fuck are The Roots going to headline West Holt?

Oh, I see. It's 'ironic' music made by twats. Thanks for clearing that one up.

...Its just good fun, I don;t think anyone expects it to be in high slots/on main stages ..but yeah as festival filler goes. Mr B. is some light hearted fun.

(His "DJ" sets are quite good to!)

All to quaint and whimsy for me, just really grates massively with me

Ran out of positive votes but 100% agree with this. It's the kind of shit you'd see linked on the guardian website for a funny 'rap' about the british bake off. Hate that idea you see all over the internet that Britain is populated entirely by tea drinking doctor who loving quirky stephen fry loving people being overly polite to each other, this type of thing perpetuates that idea imo.

Well for the mainstream buzz, yeah, but she released a pretty well received album last year.

Either way I just thought it a bit odd that nobody had mentioned her in three pages while MJB and Pharrell had been. :P

Didn't realise she hadn't been mentioned. Just meant the hype for me has died, remember when 212 first came out and it was a banger, album was good though, but doubt i'd bother seeing her, she's very hit and miss, both on and off record, and in terms of how much she annoys me with her public persona.

I do not claim to be an expert when it comes to hip-hop but I know what I like in this genre. I'd centre towards the classic stuff. One of the real stand out moments from last year was the De La Soul set on The Pyramid. My wife is not a fan of Hip-Hop but she was well into them. I even allowed her to sit on some random brother's shoulders.

It felt appropriate.

My (relatively believable) hip-hop wish list:

Ghostface Killah & Badbadnotgood

MF Doom

Madlib

Captain Murphy

Roots Manuva

And then I now it's not strictlt the same as hip-hop, but more grime:

Skepta

Ghetts

Tempa T (I just really want to see Next Hype live.)

Any of those and I'll be happy. Would be great to see more grime somewhere on the lineup.

Edited by Winslow Leach

My (relatively believable) hip-hop wish list:

Ghostface Killah & Badbadnotgood

MF Doom

Madlib

Captain Murphy

Roots Manuva

And then I now it's not strictlt the same as hip-hop, but more grime:

Skepta

Ghetts

Tempa T (I just really want to see Next Hype live.)

Any of those and I'll be happy. Would be great to see more grime somewhere on the lineup.

All of these please

most of them (especially skepta, ghostface/bbng, mf doom and captain murphy) would be ideal somewhere late at night, although I do think grime could get a decent showing on the jp and be quite fun.

Edited by klipper