2015: the bands you're most looking forward to seeing (a rolling thread!)

WM Hall

55 years old. Never been to a festival although I live within walking distance of Reading Festival and my (adult!) kids go. Was looking for Dawes tour info and came across EOTR festival. The more I read about it the more I fancied going. Dragging my husband along - it's our 30th wedding anniversary.

Anyway - really looking forward to

Dawes

Andrew Combs

Natalie Prass

Delines

the War on Drugs

Also just looking forward to hearing new stuff. Tricked my husband into agreeing to come (after a few drinks on holiday). He'd changed his mind in the morning - too late - I'd bought the tickets! He has been listening to EOTR playlist on Spotify and seems to be looking forward to it now!

Bar a (horrible) Reading in 1978, I had never been to a festival till I went to EotR 7 years ago when I was 48. It was up there with the best weekends of my life and I have been every year since. You will adore it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 years old. Never been to a festival although I live within walking distance of Reading Festival and my (adult!) kids go. Was looking for Dawes tour info and came across EOTR festival. The more I read about it the more I fancied going. Dragging my husband along - it's our 30th wedding anniversary.

Dawes

Andrew Combs

Natalie Prass

Delines

the War on Drugs

Also just looking forward to hearing new stuff. Tricked my husband into agreeing to come (after a few drinks on holiday). He'd changed his mind in the morning - too late - I'd bought the tickets! He has been listening to EOTR playlist on Spotify and seems to be looking forward to it now!

I used to go to a fair few festivals back in the '70s, including Reading, and the first Guilfest in the early '90s, came across EOTR in 2012 when I was 60, its a wonderful, friendly festival. I wish that I had heard about it earlier, particularly as we live only 10 miles from it.

One word of caution - bring some warm clothing and bedding, it is early September and the evenings/nights can get pretty chilly.

And if, perish the thought, you get fed up with it you can always go about 5 miles down the road to the Great Dorset Steam Fair.

Dawes

Andrew Combs

Natalie Prass

Delines

the War on Drugs

Good for you.

EotR in 2011 was my first festival (lots of gigs), bar a day at Reading in 88, and was the best 4 days of my life. Blown away by quality of new music, normalness of folk, and the setting.

You'll love it.

Dawes

Andrew Combs

Natalie Prass

Delines

the War on Drugs

Dysentery. Malaria. Cold showers. Rat infestation. Full body search at wristband exchange. Best to stay away.

For me it's going to look a bit like this:

Thursday - Cider, Mammut.

Friday - Crushed beaks, Aero Flynn, Nadine Shah, Torres, Gulp, Metz, Djangos, Jacco Gardner, East India Youth.

Saturday - Hooton Tennis Club, Duke Spirit, Slow Club, Ex Hex, Sufjan.

Sunday - Vryll Society, Ultimate Painting, Happyness, Marika Hackman, Wand, Future Islands, Brakes, WOD.

Thursday: Beer, Mammut

Friday: Ryley Walker, Crushed Beaks, Torres, Pond, Natalie Prass, Django Django, Jane Weaver, Jacco Gardner, East India Youth

Saturday: Human Pyramids, Peter Mathew Bauer, Du Blond, Flo Morrissey, Stealing Sheep, MMJ, St Etienne, Sufjan

Sunday: Ultimate Painting, Happyness, Marika Hackman, Alvvays, Future Islands, Brakes, WOD

Hoping for late night sets from Hooton Tennis Club, Metz, Fuzz, Diagrams and Ex Hex as I'll have to miss all those during the day.

55 years old. Never been to a festival

As everyone else has said, you will love it. I'm jealous of you being first timers. You couldn't have picked a better festival to pop your cherries. Sadly, not all festivals are as good as EOTR!

Bring ear plugs (even though EOTR has quiet campsites at night you might be unlucky and end up next to the one pair of munted twats who shout at each other all night).

Isn't this just a Clashfinder guess?

The bands playing the Big Top at the end of the day are usually the last (and only) ones playing, so I wouldn't expect the guess to be very inaccurate. 11.15pm was the start time last year. All other stages are usually done by 11pm.

Does anybody else have any strange personal rules for act selection while at EOTR? I generally operate to this twisted logic, though you can see that it throws up contradictions and clashes all over the place!

• The daytime is for relaxing folk music and the evening is for indie rock and psychedelia. It just is. But...
  • Interesting indie rock trumps folk even in the daytime, which leads to too much time in the Big Top (half of it spent moaning about the sound quality compared to the other stages) and not enough daylight.
  • Time must be made for a sit down, beers and some wafty folk music at the Garden Stage every day. This is "recovery time".
  • The Garden Stage trumps all other stages at any time of the day if a half decent act is playing. Except if the Woods Stage headliner is amazing.

As Harry Hill used to say, "you've got to have a system".

Does anybody else have any strange personal rules for act selection while at EOTR? I generally operate to this twisted logic, though you can see that it throws up contradictions and clashes all over the place!

As Harry Hill used to say, "you've got to have a system".

I like the idea of a system. I broadly agree with yours, but don't really like the Big Top. Remember when they used to have the sides up? Preferred it then. More air and light. Agree about the Garden Stage obvs. Disagree that indie always trumps folk. I try to map out the whole weekend with Clashfinder but then my friends and I usually wing it to a certain extent. I will have four or five must-sees a day, but will happily be persuaded to wander around in between those. So excited.

Really looking forward to seeing War on Drugs, The Delines,Low (anyone there the year they nearly took a guys head off he threw is guitar in the crowd, in a hissy fit?) Giant Sand, Brakes, king Khan, Andrew Combs, Mark Wynn.

I'm looking for three KILLER bands that i shouldn't miss, that i yet don't know. Deep, though provoking stuff really. Any suggestions?

Really looking forward to seeing War on Drugs, The Delines,Low (anyone there the year they nearly took a guys head off he threw is guitar in the crowd, in a hissy fit?) Giant Sand, Brakes, king Khan, Andrew Combs, Mark Wynn.

I'm looking for three KILLER bands that i shouldn't miss, that i yet don't know. Deep, though provoking stuff really. Any suggestions?

Most of my listening will be of the "noisy racket" variety but I would recommend This is The Kit as a more gentle, contemplative option. They were featured on a Guy Garvey programme for iPlayer recently.

At the noisier end of the scale, Wand seem to come highly rated. I'm looking forward to checking them out.

Edited by paulwa

Yeah I was there when Alan threw his guitar in the crowd. Very awkward atmosphere on stage. I thought they were fantastic except for the breakdown. I have read in interviews how deeply sorry he is for his actions that night. He was obviously not in a very good place in his life. I'm very happy that they will be with us this year.

Yeah I was there when Alan threw his guitar in the crowd. Very awkward atmosphere on stage. I thought they were fantastic except for the breakdown. I have read in interviews how deeply sorry he is for his actions that night. He was obviously not in a very good place in his life. I'm very happy that they will be with us this year.

Yeah they played a brilliant set, mindblowing. The added tension really helped. I think they'll be a highlight this year.

This will be my sixth EOTR and this is almost certainly the line-up with the least amount of bands I've actually heard of! I'm a huge fan of Sufjan so he's the main draw for me but I'm also pretty excited about Future Islands, Alvvays, The War on Drugs and Django Django. There are some comedians I'd like to see too but the rest of the weekend is a bit of a blank canvas...

The Spotify playlist has piqued my interest in Madisen Ward & the Mama Bear, Human Pyramids, Mac DeMarco, Marika Hackman and Natalie Prass. Any other recommendations for bands on the Garden Stage? I came to the first three EOTRs so was a little shocked when I returned a couple of years ago to discover it was no longer the main stage! It's such a lovely area so I'd like to spend as much time there as possible during the day seeing as all the main bands I want to see in the evening are on the Woods Stage.