Weather thread 2015

Swine_Glasto2014

Dry in, dry out - rest who cares frankly, that's just clothing and spirit - but packing down wet kit in the wet and a muddy way out is horrendous experience

As bad as packing down in 2007 was, a stream flowed over my tent after I removed the poles and I ate discarded stale bagels while waiting for a coach, I'd rather have a dry day in the weekend than on the Monday. It just feels like a kick in the teeth when the best day is Monday.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J10 has just given an update based on tonights improved readings;

"Certainly possible and while the pattern seems set, details may change as an quick example.

Tonight's GFS 18Hz run continues with the theme of heavy rain on Monday, But on Wednesday it looks much drier, and Friday has moderate rain rather than heavy rain.

This would mean much less rain overall and as such less mud, and more time for the site to dry out.

There will still be ups and downs, hopefully there will be more ups in the coming days."

So in other words, he hasn't got a clue.

As bad as packing down in 2007 was, a stream flowed over my tent after I removed the poles and I ate discarded stale bagels while waiting for a coach, I'd rather have a dry day in the weekend than on the Monday. It just feels like a kick in the teeth when the best day is Monday.

Yep and I will take the best days as being Wednesday and Thursday as they are lounging days

Said this in my site snaps thread:

I think that the weather really made tonight so perfect for taking these photos! It was bliss.

Hopefully it'll stay.

The ground is a dream if any of you are wondering! Pretty hard so actually a little rain could desired. If showers are forecast it won't shift to mud very easily at all. If it wangs it down then we can expect mud but not too much. The grass is very very thick and rich and pretty healthy.

at last, some sense prevails.  those who talk about wet years since 2010 did not experience 2007 or 1997 for the real veterans.

If you went to either of those two really wet years then you would understand what mud is.  I would take a repeat of any years weather since 2010 - the ones being described as wet I would describe as damp.

Trust me these wet years have been nothing compared to proper glastonbury mud baths 

Fuck me you lot are a bit black and white aren't you

Ach well. If it thins demand I can't really complain.

11th on the trot, never faltered. Only true crap one was '07 and I reckon that would have been just fine without t'evil ex drama

Still don't reckon it's looking like what I'd call a washout, just a standard issue mudfest at points with a chance it'll recover by the time we gotta drive out - totally passable

at last, some sense prevails.  those who talk about wet years since 2010 did not experience 2007 or 1997 for the real veterans.

If you went to either of those two really wet years then you would understand what mud is.  I would take a repeat of any years weather since 2010 - the ones being described as wet I would describe as damp.

Trust me these wet years have been nothing compared to proper glastonbury mud baths 

Could you make an argument that the flood defences and drainage of the site has improved since then though? So technically we would never see a 97 or 07 again due to the improvements after 07 save for biblical amounts of rain?

I check in every 24 hours - improvement?

Quite the opposite. A much wetter forecast than yesterday, roughly 14mm of rain forecasted over the weekend with temps in the late teens.

Still far too early to say with any certainty, but in the immortal words of the nal. We're fucked

The problem with 2010 wasn't the rain for me it was that it rained heavily then got warm so the mud was so sticky! Took ages to walk anywhere

Yeah, my biggest problem with 2010 was those massive mud piles. Always inconveniently near the taps too. What a bugger.

Maybe I don't notice it as much because it doesn't affect me as much, but when was the last time we had a weekend full of rain? Must be months? I genuinely can't remember. Pretty annoying that it lands on the weekend of Glastonbury.

Oh well, as Burt Bacharach will sing - "I ain't gonna stop the rain by complaining".

J10 has just given an update based on tonights improved readings;

"Certainly possible and while the pattern seems set, details may change as an quick example.

Tonight's GFS 18Hz run continues with the theme of heavy rain on Monday, But on Wednesday it looks much drier, and Friday has moderate rain rather than heavy rain.

This would mean much less rain overall and as such less mud, and more time for the site to dry out.

There will still be ups and downs, hopefully there will be more ups in the coming days."

I'll untether my daughter from the stake... for now

Could you make an argument that the flood defences and drainage of the site has improved since then though? So technically we would never see a 97 or 07 again due to the improvements after 07 save for biblical amounts of rain?

No the bulk of the drainage work was done between the 05 & 07 festivals, the drainage works are designed to stop flooding they don't stop the mud.

Let's say since 2010 ( the very best year ) how accurate has Jackone been over the last 4 festivals ?

Ta

Point here is that Jackone is always 100% accurate. All he is doing is presenting the information on the radars/charts and informing us, at each run point, what they would mean for the festival. He's not claiming he has any higher power to predict, he is just the conduit to the charts and will offer opinions on the chances of what might change.