Better Call Saul

TheJackson

Thought this probably deserved it's own thread rather than to keep using the Breaking Bad one.

So it Premièred yesterday and I thought it was really enjoyable, more so than I expected it to be actually. I thought it was shot fantastically, the way Bob plays Saul's character is brilliant and the music in it is top notch and going by the ending of this first episode I'm excited to see where it goes.

How about you guys?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Tuco so I was shocked/so happy it was him that opened the door. He was the polar opposite kind of criminal to Gus, that scene where he beats the guy to death for next to no reason was grim.

I'm sure i read that Tuco was supposed to be in it longer but something forced for him to be killed off. So they made a conscious decision to make Gus his total opposite.

Same, I was concerned that it would be too comedic, as he and those around him tended to have those roles in BB, but it has a great balance. I think Saul's essential shabbiness makes him a great character with lots of potential, I'm looking forward to seeing the hows and whys of his transformation into Saul Goodman.

For some reason I thought the show was going to a be half hour comedy with no recurring plot. No idea what made me think that.

I thought the exact same thing. I reckon a lot of folk did due to the cowboy comic nature of his character. So at the start, to see his life in hiding in black and white, dark and grim, post the post the BB goings on was a "Oh, I got that wrong in my head" moment. I was pleasantly surprised that it was an hour long and a seemingly thought provoking drama

only seen ep one so far (will watch ep two soon) but really enjoyed it! the intro with him now living a shite sheltered life and watching his old ads was pretty depressing. didn't expect to see a Breaking Bad character cameo so early (Tuco). excited to see how this unravels. definitely on the right track

I know its early but I am so eager to see all the old BB back ground characters introduced & hear their back stories. I know it will grow but its great to start adding characters that really make a story, which I'm sure this will with the odd new client here & there.

I am very interested in Tucco's right hand man or possible equal as he is nowhere to be seen in BB.

the one problem with Better Call Saul is that, because it's a prequel, there's no threat towards Saul, Mike, Tuco, Tuco's two henchmen (and whatever other BB characters pop up a long the way). a small niggle, but it doesn't have quite the same tension that BB had (despite trying it's best). still great though! i was in the mindframe (like others) that it was possibly gonna be one off comedy capers each episode instead of one connecting story. it's basically just like having BB back, but following a different character. glad to see that season 2 has already been commissioned

I didnt expect comedy capers at all, what I do find really good is the way they aren't just painting him as a money obsessed goofball, like he was for the most part in BB. I am really impressed with the first 2 episodes, looks like the writing is of a similar high standard, and there is scope for some good drama in the coming weeks.

The storyline with his Dad is great, and I like the fact that he appears to absolutely have his very sick father's best interests at heart. Saul Goodman is the polar opposite on BB. A little insight into what made the man we see in BB i reckon?

I did not know they were related. I questioned it simply due to the name but when Chuck basically tells him to get his own name I started to think that maybe it was a coincidence that they were both called McGill

The way I see BCS now is that it is his struggle with the want to be "good" and the instinct to be "bad".

He already went down the "bad" path with slippin Jimmy from what we can make out, so thats his natural state I reckon, but he has a desire to be "good" and so does as Chuck tells him.

The lack of money is getting too much for him and so the skateboard guys hitting his car set things in motion for him to become the morally corrupt Saul Goodman, who he is ultimately comfortable with being as its his true nature

The skateboarders were basically like a pair of junkies banging up in front of an addict who is in a reform program

yeah it's definitely his brother. his disease is very interesting - electromagnetic sensitivity. refreshing to see a very niche and weird disease being used instead of the usual go-to's (sounds a weird thing to say, but it is)

and i agree with ThomThomDrum - he wants to lead the good path, but it's getting him nowhere, and the lure of being bad and finding a quick fix is far too tempting