Lineup 2016

Matt42

On 30/08/2016 at 11:25 PM, Pop Punk Sucks said:

People like you are the biggest reason that festivals like Reading are booking fewer and fewer heavy acts each year. You come on here and moan that they don't book heavy acts, yet this year they booked one of the most exciting young heavy bands around in Heck and you didn't watch them. They booked one of the most interesting heavy bands of the last 10 years in Mastodon and you didn't watch them. They booked one of the most exciting live heavy bands of all time in The Dillinger Escape Plan and you didn't watch them. 

100% this

15 hours ago, callum97 said:

I think you are missing the point, I get that there a still heavy bands to go and see (i like a mixture of things so thats why i didn't go and see Mastodon i saw the Chillis instead, Dillinger escape plan are good as well but again i was watching another band. The point i'm trying to get at is like 5 years ago there wasn't as much grime, rap and dance music and personally in my opinion i'm not a lover of that genre live. and that type of music is pulling in a more younger crowd each year, and hence why a lot of people are saying that the crowd for Biffy was better in 13 and it was the case for other bands as well. I was in the crowd for disclosure and have never been in such an irritating crowd, ruined it for me. i'm only 19 and i'm already starting to feel to old for this festival. next year i'm probs gonna do what coreyt409 did and stay off site or maybe stay in white. I get that people love different types of atmospheres i'm just voicving my opinion in that the atmosphere has changed in the last few years imo 

This has always been R&L audience. I went when I was 16 so did many others on here. Don't act like it's changing when its not.

9 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

Grime is only popular because rock is on the wane at the moment. I remember when UK garage was supposed to dominate music for the next decade, but it was only 'cool' at the time because mainstream rock music was either post grunge or MOR shit like Stereophonics, Travis etc. Then along came The Strokes, The White Stripes etc. and rock became popular again, which lead to popularity of The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys etc. You just need the next big thing to come through and guitars will be cool again and there will be less grime on the bill.

Lmao
Also guitars wont be cool forever and it's something you'll have to face

9 hours ago, AndrewSmith said:

And next year is the recovery with the likes of Kasabian, Kings of Leon, Metallica, Green Day, Arcade Fire, Gorillaz, The Killers, The Rolling Stones, The Shins, Vampire Weekend, Pixies, You Me At Six, Slaves, Twin Atlantic, Young Guns, TDCC, Korn etc. all due to release albums.

Apart from the albums from Arcade Fire, Gorillaz and Vampire Weekend they'll all be trash.

5 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

You can't build an entire festival's fanbase on 16-year-olds with rich mummies and daddies. If they think they can, then the festival will die off. And it hasn't always been that way, yes there were drunk kids when I went too, but they still booked big alternative acts to balance out the Radio 1 shite. The problem is now the line up is littered with only that. 

I love it when I turn on Radio 1 and hear Dillinger, King Gizzard, Parkway Drive, Nas and Die Antwoord 

4 hours ago, KingPin said:

Exactly, the festival has progressively been booking more and more of this shite, since 2010, and since then, bar this single solitary year, the festival has been selling worse and worse and worse year on year. I really do think that the perceived rarity of RHCP at festivals and in the UK in general massively helped out ticket sales combined with the 5 headliner gimmick they pulled, I fully expect another shitly sold year next if as similar style of line up is booked, especially with the headliners currently being talked about. 

The festival is fucked if it keeps booking rap and dance shit whilst banking on the 16-18 years olds, and for this reason alone the best placed major festivals are Glastonbury (duh) and Download in terms of them actually surviving. The biggest issue download faces is that it's a massive fucking treck, and they get so unlucky with the weather, which is not good for all the older folk who go there, but it's the older folk who will keep the festival going past the likes of Leeds (Reading won't die IMO), Creamfields, Boomtown etc. of which I expect a lot to be RIP in 10 years or so.

RHCP rare at festivals? They played at T this year and IoW last year. They didn't save R&L and they ain't rare fam. Also Download isn't as successful as R&L either and its facing a huge headliner problem which could destroy it in a few years.

Edited by justanothername

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, justanothername said:

Lmao

Also guitars wont be cool forever and it's something you'll have to face

They've been saying that for 60 years. I look forward to grime still being popular when I'm in my late 80s lol. If only one of them is still going by then, I know which one.

5 hours ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

So why the fuck are you trying to make them cater to an audience which has been dwindling since 2002?

Eh? You said the festival can live entirely off 16-year-olds with rich and mummies and daddies and I asked how. Don't change the subject. 

And the festival sold out on the day until 2011, so obviously something was right. 

13 hours ago, KingPin said:

The festival is fucked if it keeps booking rap and dance shit whilst banking on the 16-18 years olds, and for this reason alone the best placed major festivals are Glastonbury (duh) and Download in terms of them actually surviving. The biggest issue download faces is that it's a massive fucking treck, and they get so unlucky with the weather, which is not good for all the older folk who go there, but it's the older folk who will keep the festival going past the likes of Leeds (Reading won't die IMO), Creamfields, Boomtown etc. of which I expect a lot to be RIP in 10 years or so.

What on earth are you on about? How in the hell is Download the best placed festival in terms of actually surviving?! You mean the festival for which the only real bonafide massive headliners it has available to it are dropping like flies and will continue to do so year in year out for the next decade? What about when metalheads get older and older and attendance drops, especially when all of the massive metal bands have given up and retired? Download's only hope of continuing past this decade is massively revamping the festival and scaling down to the point that years like 2014 are the standard capacity. They have another huge problem in the sense that pretty much every single potential future headliner they have coming through prefers playing Reading and Leeds.

Boomtown and Creamfields are going nowhere anytime soon. Boomtown is morphing into Glastonbury territory (obviously not in terms of size) in the sense people care way less about the lineup and more about the actual experience. 

I don't buy that Reading and Leeds aren't still booking big alternative acts either. In the last 3 years they've had: Metallica, blink-182, Paramore, Queens of the Stone Age, Biffy Clyro, Bring Me The Horizon, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Refused, Mastodon, Gojira, Enter Shikari, A Day To Remember, Limp Bizkit, Jimmy Eat World, New Found Glory, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The King Blues and loads of other smaller alternative bands that are great too. Reading are far better than Download for not just consistently booking the best young and upcoming alternative bands, but also putting them in sensible slots to give them a real chance at reaching a bigger audience. 

They don't book some of the bigger bands that frequent Download like Alter Bridge, Avenged Sevenfold, Blackstone Cherry etc but that's because the sort of people who like those bands for the most part wouldn't and don't go to Reading anyway. You can't look at the Pit stage lineup year in year out and say they've given up on alternative music at Reading. If you consistently look at the Pit lineup and think they've given up on alternative music, then I would say that actually, it's YOU who have given up on alternative music.

I honestly can't believe I've just read the suggestion that BBK could headline Reading & Leeds festival. The day that happens is the day R&L dies for me. They have consistently booked internationally successful artists for the last 26+ years and the only exceptions to them having legendary rock/punk/metal/alternative acts have been world renown hip-hop/rap artists with a political message (see image). Not a group of grime 'artists' that jump on any money making venture possible (see BBK Mobile) just to cash on in this short lived fad. The only way they'd get even near to the top of the billing is if Festival Republic decided to book Drake who has now associated himself with the group but even then they'd surely push them over on to the Wireless line up where they'd sell a shit load more tickets as it seems to be the right target audience already.

I fully agree with PPS in that Festival Republic have consistently booked high quality alternative acts that are often exclusives who won't appear (or haven't recently) on the UK festival circuit for at least a few years.

efest.png

Edited by AndrewSmith

I can see why the lock up stage and pit was empty for most of the weekend at Leeds looking at the what people want to see on this thread! 

The crowds for Dillinger and Mastodon were very small. 

MGK, Creeper, King Blues, Superheaven and Milk Teeth were all really enjoyable performances and not very well supported while the majority of punters went to see landfill such as Courteeners and Imagine Dragons. 

We went to see a band called King Gizzard who had never heard a single song by, but were fantastic and haven't been off Spotify since. 

All popular festivals will move their lineups around slightly to accommodate for trends in genres. Even the festivals that are dedicated to 'one' genre like Download and Creamfields will still tailor their lineups to the popularity of subgenres.

You also now have many more big players in genres like hip-hop/grime/dubstep/dance than ever before which also helps the exposure and distribution of upcoming artists in said genres - therefore giving festivals more options to choose from when booking multiple stages.

If you are adamant a hiphop/grime artist is not going to headline the Main Stage soon - hold tight, you're wrong. People like Kendrick Lamar and BBK aren't going away any time soon and they would draw huge crowds, especially against a weaker NME name on the same night.

Everyone has various tastes in music and it shouldn't be the outright headliner that makes you choose whether to go or not - like other people have said, explore the lineup, create Spotify playlists and hey, if you really don't fancy seeing anyone else...just go watch the 'rubbish' headliner...you might be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Cammers

7 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

They've been saying that for 60 years. I look forward to grime still being popular when I'm in my late 80s lol. If only one of them is still going by then, I know which one.

I forgot you had a magic crystal ball that told you what music would be popular in 60 years time

2 hours ago, AndrewSmith said:

I honestly can't believe I've just read the suggestion that BBK could headline Reading & Leeds festival. The day that happens is the day R&L dies for me. They have consistently booked internationally successful artists for the last 26+ years and the only exceptions to them having legendary rock/punk/metal/alternative acts have been world renown hip-hop/rap artists with a political message (see image). Not a group of grime 'artists' that jump on any money making venture possible (see BBK Mobile) just to cash on in this short lived fad. The only way they'd get even near to the top of the billing is if Festival Republic decided to book Drake who has now associated himself with the group but even then they'd surely push them over on to the Wireless line up where they'd sell a shit load more tickets as it seems to be the right target audience already.

I fully agree with PPS in that Festival Republic have consistently booked high quality alternative acts that are often exclusives who won't appear (or haven't recently) on the UK festival circuit for at least a few years.

efest.png

>implying that BBK aren't succesful
>implying bands like Biffy, Kasaian and The Libertines are successful internationally
>implying that Eminem has a political message while BBK don't
>implying half of those artists are legendary
>implying that only grim artists are only in it for the money and all these artists are not

Also BBK mobile came about in 2011 and ended in 2013 which was before this "fad" even started so just shut up. You sound like you're having a mid life crisis.

59 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

We went to see a band called King Gizzard who had never heard a single song by, but were fantastic and haven't been off Spotify since. 

They should just get King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard to headline every year. I reckon they'd have some amazing production headlining a huge stage (an infinity of Nonogon-shaped lasers for example)

7 minutes ago, justanothername said:

I forgot you had a magic crystal ball that told you what music would be popular in 60 years time

>implying that BBK aren't succesful
>implying bands like Biffy, Kasaian and The Libertines are successful internationally
>implying that Eminem has a political message while BBK don't
>implying half of those artists are legendary
>implying that only grim artists are only in it for the money and all these artists are not

Also BBK mobile came about in 2011 and ended in 2013 which was before this "fad" even started so just shut up. You sound like you're having a mid life crisis.

Too many man was released in 2009 which is collectively BBK's biggest single which peaked at 79 in the UK charts.
Wiley - 1 UK number one single and peaked at 26 with 1 album from the 7 he has released in 12 years.
JME (a founding member) - 0 number one singles and peaked at 12 with 1 of 3 albums.
Skepta (a founding member) - 0 number one singles and peaked at 2 in the UK album charts with Konnichiwa, also didn't reach top 10 in any other country over 10 years.
Jammer/Frisco/Shorty/Solo - never charted in either singles or albums as either rappers or in producing an album.
Drake - Has only just 'joined'

Biffy Clyro - 3 number one albums in the UK and also number in multiple other countries and several international number 1 singles.
Kasabian - 4 number one albums in the UK and has chartered in the top 10 in at least 5 other countries.
Libertines - 1 number one album and has charted across 13 other international charts.

BBK lyrics include:

- 'diss tracks' aimed at attacking other artists (see BBK Cypher)
- songs about girls and partying (see too many man, rolex sweep, sunglasses at night etc.)
- about their own progression through the industry and how they're better than everyone (see can you hear me)

Now I'm not too educated in grime but if you can point me towards the political message in any of these songs then I'd be grateful to understand their meaning a little more.

Try to be a little less aggressive with your responses and actually respond with at least half an argument.

1 hour ago, AndrewSmith said:

Too many man was released in 2009 which is collectively BBK's biggest single which peaked at 79 in the UK charts.
Wiley - 1 UK number one single and peaked at 26 with 1 album from the 7 he has released in 12 years.
JME (a founding member) - 0 number one singles and peaked at 12 with 1 of 3 albums.
Skepta (a founding member) - 0 number one singles and peaked at 2 in the UK album charts with Konnichiwa, also didn't reach top 10 in any other country over 10 years.
Jammer/Frisco/Shorty/Solo - never charted in either singles or albums as either rappers or in producing an album.

Biffy Clyro - 3 number one albums in the UK and also number in multiple other countries and several international number 1 singles.
Kasabian - 4 number one albums in the UK and has chartered in the top 10 in at least 5 other countries.
Libertines - 1 number one album and has charted across 13 other international charts.

BBK lyrics include:

- songs about girls and partying (see too many man, rolex sweep, sunglasses at night etc.)
- about their own progression through the industry and how they're better than everyone (see can you hear me)

Now I'm not too educated in grime but if you can point me towards the political message in any of these songs then I'd be grateful to understand their meaning a little more.

Try to be a little less aggressive with your responses and actually respond with at least half an argument.

Yeah I could pick and choose various bits of info about certain acts to make my point if I wanted to as well. Nobody's saying they're gonna headline right now - just that with the upward trajectory they're currently having, they could in the near future. And what does them not having political lyrics have to do with anything?! I wasn't there this year but from most accounts and based on footage BBK nailed it and the crowd loved it, and the reviews of their headline appearance at Wireless have been glowing. Total non argument

To be honest R&L are so desperate if I met Melvin and complemented his shirt that day he'd probably call me a potential future headliner

I can't see BBK headlining, I think the phenomenon will peter out and youth culture will move on to something else before they reach that level, although I could see them headlining Bestival soon and it going down really really well

I imagine that Festival Republic are waiting to sign Kendrick Lamar up to headline as soon as he releases a new album

7 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I don't buy that Reading and Leeds aren't still booking big alternative acts either. In the last 3 years they've had: Metallica, blink-182, Paramore, Queens of the Stone Age, Biffy Clyro, Bring Me The Horizon, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Refused, Mastodon, Gojira, Enter Shikari, A Day To Remember, Limp Bizkit, Jimmy Eat World, New Found Glory, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The King Blues and loads of other smaller alternative bands that are great too. 

Only the Chilis could be classed as 'alternative' from that list.

In recent years Reading have booked: Arcade Fire, The National, Jane's Addiction, Pulp, NIN, Weezer, Cypress Hill, Faith No More, The Shins, The Cure, Modest Mouse etc. in high spots on the line up. That's alternative music. 

8 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

What on earth are you on about? How in the hell is Download the best placed festival in terms of actually surviving?! You mean the festival for which the only real bonafide massive headliners it has available to it are dropping like flies and will continue to do so year in year out for the next decade? What about when metalheads get older and older and attendance drops, especially when all of the massive metal bands have given up and retired? Download's only hope of continuing past this decade is massively revamping the festival and scaling down to the point that years like 2014 are the standard capacity. They have another huge problem in the sense that pretty much every single potential future headliner they have coming through prefers playing Reading and Leeds.

Boomtown and Creamfields are going nowhere anytime soon. Boomtown is morphing into Glastonbury territory (obviously not in terms of size) in the sense people care way less about the lineup and more about the actual experience. 

I don't buy that Reading and Leeds aren't still booking big alternative acts either. In the last 3 years they've had: Metallica, blink-182, Paramore, Queens of the Stone Age, Biffy Clyro, Bring Me The Horizon, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Refused, Mastodon, Gojira, Enter Shikari, A Day To Remember, Limp Bizkit, Jimmy Eat World, New Found Glory, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The King Blues and loads of other smaller alternative bands that are great too. Reading are far better than Download for not just consistently booking the best young and upcoming alternative bands, but also putting them in sensible slots to give them a real chance at reaching a bigger audience. 

They don't book some of the bigger bands that frequent Download like Alter Bridge, Avenged Sevenfold, Blackstone Cherry etc but that's because the sort of people who like those bands for the most part wouldn't and don't go to Reading anyway. You can't look at the Pit stage lineup year in year out and say they've given up on alternative music at Reading. If you consistently look at the Pit lineup and think they've given up on alternative music, then I would say that actually, it's YOU who have given up on alternative music.

daddy

3 hours ago, AndrewSmith said:

BBK lyrics include:

Ok, saying showing their overall chart success is a bit silly since they've only started to gain momentum. You wouldn't say Biffy aren't a success because their first 3 albums didn't break the top 40 albums chart when they were released. 

Anyway, Biffy only have 2 number one albums. Also I wasn't disputing that Biffy, Libs or Kasabian are successful in the UK. I meant on an international scale they're not that successful (which is true). 
Biffy - Ok, Ellipsis got them their first 1 number albums outside of the UK in 3 other countries but whole they're having moderate success in other countries in Europe, outside of it they're nothing
Kasabian - The highest they've charted outside of the UK is 2nd and that was in Ireland, apart from that it's just moderate success again. Nothing special
Libertines - Highest outside of the UK was 5th (which was Ireland again), then some low/mid charting success in mainly Europe. Not that big of a deal really

Also, you can pick out lyrics of any artists from a few songs and make a general sweeping statement. It's not like that dis tracks, songs about girls and partying and making their way through the industry aren't common themes in other genres either. But I don't understand how Eminem (who has made songs on all those subjects) fits that "political" bill needed for a Hip-Hio act (which isn't need by the way). That what I was trying to get at, apologises if I didn't make that clear. But to add a final point grime as basically come the genre of "stick it to the man" so to inherently say it's not political isn't true.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Never do this away from 4chan.

Kek

1 hour ago, Chinaski_ said:

I do. And it will be rock. 

Cool :thumbsu:

56 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Only the Chilis could be classed as 'alternative' from that list.

In recent years Reading have booked: Arcade Fire, The National, Jane's Addiction, Pulp, NIN, Weezer, Cypress Hill, Faith No More, The Shins, The Cure, Modest Mouse etc. in high spots on the line up. That's alternative music. 

Please give us your definition of alternative music then because I'm confused

48 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

@Chinaski_ can you change your avatar if you're gonna keep making really dumb posts cos you're making us Titus fans look bad.

Don't worry. It's only their worse album he has as the avatar

Reading and Leeds has always been in tune with what's popular. They've always gone for what the kids listen to. The promoters were doing the same thing they are now during the festival's "heyday" in the '90s and '00s. And remember, back then they still had the likes of Beastie Boys, The Prodigy, Eminem and The Chemical Brothers playing high slots, plus the Main Stage every year is still predominantly rock driven.

It seems to be more a case of you not being a fan of what's popular right now compared to what was popular back then.