Matt42

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Please give us your definition of alternative music then because I'm confused

Don't worry. It's only their worse album he has as the avatar

Alternative rock, much like indie rock, is a term that has been bastardised by corporate labels. Alt rock is what they used to call college rock, because it could only be picked up away from commercial radio stations on college radio and therefore the band's weren't in the charts or what was popular. Then you had bands like REM and Husker Du growing their fan base and signing to major labels, although REM stopped being alternative when they became stadium rock after Green. Nirvana's success meant every mainstream rock band was then coined 'alternative' even if they didn't start in the underground or with an indie label. Have a look at 90s line ups and you'll see Reading grew off the back of the alternative scene, you used to get acts like The Fall, The Cramps, Sonic Youth at the top of the bill, they're not chart bands or what was popular at the time. If pop bands like Paramore and Blink 182 are 'alternative' than what are Big Black and Butthole Surfers?

Their first album is their best, but I like all four anyway and have been a fan since the beginning, so you don't need to educate me on them thank you. Where did all these Titus fans appear from anyway? Never seen anyone speak about them on R/L except me and Dental Plan.

Edited by Chinaski_

29 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Alternative rock, much like indie rock, is a term that has been bastardised by corporate labels. Alt rock is what they used to call college rock, because it could only be picked up away from commercial radio stations on college radio and therefore the band's weren't in the charts or what was popular. Then you had bands like REM and Husker Du growing their fan base and signing to major labels, although REM stopped being alternative when they became stadium rock after Green. Nirvana's success meant every mainstream rock band was then coined 'alternative' even if they didn't start in the underground or with an indie label. Have a look at 90s line ups and you'll see Reading grew off the back of the alternative scene, you used to get acts like The Fall, The Cramps, Sonic Youth at the top of the bill, they're not chart bands or what was popular at the time. If pop bands like Paramore and Blink 182 are 'alternative' than what are Big Black and Butthole Surfers?

Their first album is their best, but I like all four anyway and have been a fan since the beginning, so you don't need to educate me on them thank you. Where did all these Titus fans appear from anyway? Never seen anyone speak about them on R/L except me and Dental Plan.

Alright so explain how The Dillinger Escape Plan aren't an alternative act? Or how Chillis are when apparently QotSA, Mastodon, Refused etc aren't? I don't know why you're shocked that the big main stage headliners tend to be ticket selling mainstream acts.

Because the Chilis started in the underground LA scene with Jane's Addiction and Flea was in punk bands. They became a stadium band later on, so don't fit the description anymore, but they were in their early years. 

Yes DEP and Refused are alternative and QOTSA have always been a hard rock band.

I didn't say I was shocked that big bands sell tickets, I just said I'd like some more alternative bands on the line up again. 

Edited by Chinaski_

8 hours ago, AndrewSmith said:

I honestly can't believe I've just read the suggestion that BBK could headline Reading & Leeds festival. The day that happens is the day R&L dies for me. They have consistently booked internationally successful artists for the last 26+ years and the only exceptions to them having legendary rock/punk/metal/alternative acts have been world renown hip-hop/rap artists with a political message (see image). Not a group of grime 'artists' that jump on any money making venture possible (see BBK Mobile) just to cash on in this short lived fad. The only way they'd get even near to the top of the billing is if Festival Republic decided to book Drake who has now associated himself with the group but even then they'd surely push them over on to the Wireless line up where they'd sell a shit load more tickets as it seems to be the right target audience already.

I fully agree with PPS in that Festival Republic have consistently booked high quality alternative acts that are often exclusives who won't appear (or haven't recently) on the UK festival circuit for at least a few years.

efest.png

"A bunch of young men all dressed in black dancing extremely aggressively on stage. It made me feel so intimidated and it's just not what I expect to see at Reading Festival" 

First of all, props for going the extra mile and doing the highlighting. I thought that was a great touch. 

But yeah, mentioning Eminem and then going on about politically charged rap music is pretty odd. I'm assuming Eminem gets a free pass because... you like Eminem? 

Also why should a rap/grime act only be booked if they talk about political issues in their songs? Why do bands like blink-182, Paramore, The Libertines, Kings of Leon, Fall Out Boy etc etc get a pass when they have no real political merit in any of their songs? 

Why are you implying that BBK/grime artists are the only acts around in it purely for the money? You don't think that's what pretty much every other band/artist around is doing? Where you this concerned when Macklemore subbed in 2014? 

Grime's massive. It's going nowhere for at least a few years. BBK and Stormzy will continue to climb the lineup for the time being. "Don't like it, don't fucking come" 

Oh wait that's Copping. Wrong festival. 

Bizarre mindset to rule out grime artists as having a shot at headlining, especially if we're counting coheadlining. I can easily see Skepta/BBK/Stormzy getting to sub/coheadliner level. If anyone really thinks it's totally unfeasible for Skepta to get to the level of 2006 Franz Ferdinand then I don't even know what to say.

FWIW, your average grime act is totally not my thing at all, but I gave Skepta's album a listen and loved it. Saw him at Glasto and thought he was one of the highlights, and BBK at Leeds was brilliant too and the crowd lapped it up. If Skepta is getting people like me on board he can and will get to a much higher level, maybe to headline.

And fuck me, it would be a much better booking than Blink 182 again ffs.

Going by the BBC footage, the best crowds seemed to be for non-guitar bands such as Disclosure and BBK. BBK especially made the crowd move in a way that a rock band hasn't done for a while at Reading and Leeds.

And no, setting off a few smokebombs during The Courteeners doesn't make a good crowd.

14 minutes ago, VCK said:

Going by the BBC footage, the best crowds seemed to be for non-guitar bands such as Disclosure and BBK. BBK especially made the crowd move in a way that a rock band hasn't done for a while at Reading and Leeds.

And no, setting off a few smokebombs during The Courteeners doesn't make a good crowd.

Doubt it happens very often, but Courteeners are an example of an act that should have different slots at Reading and Leeds. Look at the venues they play up north compared to down south. 3rd down at Reading for them is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Doubt it happens very often, but Courteeners are an example of an act that should have different slots at Reading and Leeds. Look at the venues they play up north compared to down south. 3rd down at Reading for them is ridiculous.

It's because young people from Manchester and the North are so desperate for this generation to have it's own Stone Roses or Oasis, that they'll happily cling onto some mediocre band. Pretty sad.

If they weren't from Manchester, they would have gone the way of The Enemy, The Pigeon Detectives, et al. They have literally carved out a reputation based on the city they're from, which hasn't produced a genuinely seminal band for over 20 years now.

Edited by VCK

4 minutes ago, VCK said:

It's because young people from Manchester and the North are so desperate for this generation to have it's own Stone Roses or Oasis, that they'll happily cling onto some mediocre band. Pretty sad.

If they weren't from Manchester, they would have gone the way of The Enemy, The Pigeon Detectives, et al. They have literally carved out a reputation based on the city they're from, which hasn't produced a genuinely seminal band for over 20 years now.

I've been to see the Courteeners about 6 times, their old stuff is genuinely quite good if you enjoy it for what it is. I never thought they were anything groundbreaking but they were enjoyable. Saw them on Sunday and I'm bored of them now though, and the new stuff is dire. Teenagers in 10 years will have no idea who they are, they won't leave any kind of legacy, but try telling Liam Fray that. Look at his twitter if you fancy a cringe.

2 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

Because the Chilis started in the underground LA scene with Jane's Addiction and Flea was in punk bands. They became a stadium band later on, so don't fit the description anymore, but they were in their early years. 

Yes DEP and Refused are alternative and QOTSA have always been a hard rock band.

I didn't say I was shocked that big bands sell tickets, I just said I'd like some more alternative bands on the line up again. 

Do you think stadium bands just materialise out of nowhere? What band in the history of music has skipped playing underground clubs and just instantly been a stadium band?

I think what you actually mean is you want them to book bands that you like - which is fair enough. There were a good amount of fantastic alternative acts like Dillinger, King Gizz, Ezra Furman booked this year but they tend to be booked lower down the line up, since the nature of 'alternative' is that it must be less popular than the mainstream which it is an alternative to. There's plenty of alternative festivals out there but Reading is a big commercial event that has to book the popular acts that people like in order to sell tickets.

29 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

anyone got any background on how any of biffy's new stuff came across?, preferably from someone who isn't just going to lap them up regardless.

I thought it came across really well, better than I expected. I haven't listened to the new album so didn't know many of the tunes, but I seemed to be a minority in not singing along.

14 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

I thought it came across really well, better than I expected. I haven't listened to the new album so didn't know many of the tunes, but I seemed to be a minority in not singing along.

This is the issue, I have and not a fan. I've seen Biffy multiple times but not on own tour.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

This is the issue, I have and not a fan. I've seen Biffy multiple times but not on own tour.

Wolves of Winter sounded absolutely massive and was a great way to open the set. Animal Style also went down really well. The other tracks they played seemed to fit into the set well, too. 

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Wolves of Winter sounded absolutely massive and was a great way to open the set. Animal Style also went down really well. The other tracks they played seemed to fit into the set well, too. 

From the footage I saw it didn't sound massive lol, I prefer Animal Style though much more. I have trouble liking stuff in person if it's shit on record but may just go for the older stuff as Birmingham isn't sold out yet.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

From the footage I saw it didn't sound massive lol, I prefer Animal Style though much more. I have trouble liking stuff in person if it's shit on record but may just go for the older stuff as Birmingham isn't sold out yet.

You clearly don't like the band, so why bother asking about them? :lol: 

Wolves of Winter was a great opener and the crowd I was in was very lively and seemed to love it(stage right about 10 people back). Friends and Enemies the same, plenty of people singing along and received very well by the crowd. In the name of the Wee Man is easily the best track on the album and should be in every set they play for a long time, a massive contrast to the rest of the album.

Rearrange seemed a little bit too soft and Simon's voice at the end kind of summed it up with his comments staying in the tone of the song - felt halfway through that the crowd was a little bored of it and a lot of people around us were just chatting, not too great having that straight in to Machines either and Machines alone would've been enough. Maybe should've played On a Bang instead which I was gutted to miss out on.

Animal Style is another lively piece that seemed to get the crowd going and it's great to see a mini guitar solo in there too. It looks as if the band enjoyed playing this song to the crowd.

I too am hoping for a few more oldies on their tour, gutted to only be going to the London date as I hate the O2 as a venue. Not just because it's extortionate in every way possible but because it also attracts a lot of 'half-fans' who can't really get in to it. They teased Aplomp before Many of Horror so also hoping for a few B-Sides chucked in for good measure.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

We got On A Bang at Leeds :P 

I was lucky enough to see them debut it in Edinburgh on New Years. Just gutted they didn't play it at Reading as aside from Wee Man it's my favourite track from the new album!

Edited by AndrewSmith