The Maccabees

simonsimondock

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah it's good. Not as good as Given to the Wild (though given how good that album is it's hardly much of a criticism) but probably on a par with Wall of Arms. It's quite dark and mid-tempo but that works quite well for them.

Only given it a couple of listens thus far but I'd probably put it below both of those previous albums - a little too moody for my likings. As you say, The Maccabees are good at that kind of thing, but it could do with picking up the mood/tempo just a little more. Find myself losing interest towards the end of the album

Only given it a couple of listens thus far but I'd probably put it below both of those previous albums - a little too moody for my likings. As you say, The Maccabees are good at that kind of thing, but it could do with picking up the mood/tempo just a little more. Find myself losing interest towards the end of the album

Yeah, Marks to Prove It and Spit It Out are the only real fast songs on the album. While Given to the Wild had that atmospheric thing going on too, a lot of the songs on there built to crescendos whereas these ones just sort of stay mid-tempo. I get what you mean about losing interest towards the end, though I think the last two songs are the weakest on the album along with Something Like Happiness which doesn't help. 

• 2 months later...

Really enjoying this album now, some thoroughly good moments on there. As a thread through the album it feels very 'angsty' in parts, so you have to be in the right mood for it, but it's certainly one of the better albums released this year. WW1 Portraits is the standout song on the album I have to suggest.

never did get in to this album past the first few listens - will definitely have to go back with fresh ears and try again. just seemed like a bit of a step down after Given To The Wild

I like the album but it's definitely a level below Given to the Wild. There's some really good songs on Marks to Prove It but it doesn't have the same level of consistency that Given to the Wild has where near enough every song is great.

I like the album but it's definitely a level below Given to the Wild. There's some really good songs on Marks to Prove It but it doesn't have the same level of consistency that Given to the Wild has where near enough every song is great.

Yeah i would agree that it drops off a little in the middle but there are still 6/7 tracks that are on the same level as GTTW.

• 9 months later...

They are one of very few bands that I properly discovered before they got signed, and they'll always hold a place in my heart.

I'm glad they've gone out on their terms, and not with members leaving etc. I think we can expect plenty more from both Orlando and Felix though, they're some talented dudes.

I wonder what kind of venues they'll play for these last few shows. Surely bigger than Academies, but would there be enough demand for Arenas?

EDIT: 1000th post! :D

Edited by big__phil

Many years ago we made the trip down from Yorkshire for the Camden Crawl.  Wandering into a bar at Camden Lock I was very impressed with the band on stage so left our group and wandered down to the front.  Near the end some loyal followers started shouting "Latchmere's got a wave machine " with the band which I thought was an odd lyric but a cracking tune .  Quite a few climbed on stage so I thought sod it I am going on as well.

Only on my return did I find out who the band was and I have followed them fondly ever since.  

I know there are plenty of people and media that slag off guitar based indie music and a lot of bands rightly or wrongly have fallen by the way side but The Maccabees with their last two albums seemed to have risen to the top of an ever decreasing pile and have soared above it.

I can only think that the pain they went through ( which is well documented ) in making Marks to Prove It proved too much.

Quite gutted about this - they've seen me through from bad first dates in the Cambridge Junction from first album days, right through to watching them on the Other Stage in 2015, sat on my own on a bench at the back of the field whilst the other half was watching someone elsewhere - keen to get tickets for any farewell dates once they're announced.