Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

I’m at Batu 29/02 at White Hotel, probably Helena Hauff 27/03 at White Hotel and Ben UFO playing White Hotel on 08/05 (it’s a secret atm) which is just before my Birthday. Other venues are available! 

Junction 2 then Glastonbury. Got 2 weddings and a stag before the farm also. Think I’ll need a few days in the sun to get over that then I might retire. 

14 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

She was pretty great at E1 the weekend before last...though I reckon Nicolas Lutz might just have shaded the win! Two and a half hours from each and Lutz dropped some stellar acid mid-set. I liked E1, though the crowd were a bit hit and miss. In contrast, the Pickle Factory crowd were bloody fab. My kind of place that - small, good system, no wannabes. Cracking atmosphere. I thanked both Mor Elian and Walton for smashing sets. Walton finished his two hours with 30 minutes of blistering 150+ bpm breaks. Flippin ‘eck!

Ben

Interesting that are a fan of pickle factory. I actually despise the place. Maybe it’s because I’ve been on some super busy nights but I always get mad anxiety in there. One night I thought it was so hot in there that I thought my brain had dried up. I felt sick because of how hot it was!

I guess everyone’s experiences at clubs are different !

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Interesting that are a fan of pickle factory. I actually despise the place. Maybe it’s because I’ve been on some super busy nights but I always get mad anxiety in there. One night I thought it was so hot in there that I thought my brain had dried up. I felt sick because of how hot it was!

I guess everyone’s experiences at clubs are different !

Haha!

It was my first time there, Matt.

I liked: the size; the system (nothing earth-shattering, but clean and loud); the crowd density - busy enough to feel like a good night, not too busy to feel you can't move; the crowd behaviour - pretty much everyone I met (including a really lovely gang of Germans with whom I hanged out, and who I had, completely coincidentally. seen and spoken to on the tube on the way to E1 (they didn't go to that) the night before) was lovely; It was perfect temperature for me - I like hot clubs. Not ridiculous, but hot and a bit sweaty is kind of part of it for me! Nothing worse than feeling slightly cold on a dancefloor!

I could see it being too rammed in there, like anywhere can, but for me the planets aligned last weekend.

Ben

going back a day, but is the IICON stage not physically way too small for Kraftwerk?

I've seen them a few times (wouldn't bother again tbh) and they need a decent bit of stage space plus a regular screen behind them.

IICON isn't even remotely suitable for their live show IMO, which they basically haven't changed for god knows how many years.

Edited by ghostdancer1

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

going back a day, but is the IICON stage not physically way too small for Kraftwerk?

I've seen them a few times (wouldn't bother again tbh) and they need a decent bit of stage space plus a regular screen behind them.

IICON isn't even remotely suitable for their live show IMO, which they basically haven't changed for god knows how many years.

From what I’ve heard it seems to be they are going at it from a “well how awesome would it be if it happened” approach. I think they know it’s unlikely.

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

It's not the band. It's 'just' Wolfgang Flur, by all accounts @ghostdancer1

And, tbh, I'm glad. I really like Kraftwerk, and their contribution to SOOOOO much of the music that I love the most is indisputable.

But, do you know what - whispers - they get a bit boring when you watch the, live!!!

Saw their 3D show a few years ago and it was great. For about 45 minutes. And then it all got a bit samey. WF's Musik Soldat shows seem much more 'dance' than that and would, I think, be great on IICON...

Ben

11 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

It's not the band. It's 'just' Wolfgang Flur, by all accounts @ghostdancer1

And, tbh, I'm glad. I really like Kraftwerk, and their contribution to SOOOOO much of the music that I love the most is indisputable.

But, do you know what - whispers - they get a bit boring when you watch the, live!!!

Saw their 3D show a few years ago and it was great. For about 45 minutes. And then it all got a bit samey. WF's Musik Soldat shows seem much more 'dance' than that and would, I think, be great on IICON...

Ben

ah yes, I know it's just him this year, I was talking about the supposed attempts to book Kraftwerk themselves for Block9/IICON.

and yes, I agree with you, seeing them once should have been enough for me, especially at the prices they charge. nice to see them (or whatever's left of "them"), but absolutely zero desire to ever do it again. 15 mins into the last time I saw them I remember thinking "you spent 100quid to be bored the last time too".

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

From what I’ve heard it seems to be they are going at it from a “well how awesome would it be if it happened” approach. I think they know it’s unlikely.

I just can't see how it makes any sense at all.  AFAIK, they don't scale down their setup, so it would be a pretty quick "here's the stage size and screen we need" and Block9 thinking "yeah, we don't have that". For 15+ years they've had the same stage show, can't see them dropping it, especially for a tiny fee. Far more likely that it was always just "someone who was in Kraftwerk" playing down at Block9, as is the case this year.

Edited by ghostdancer1

11 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

ah yes, I know it's just him this year, I was talking about the supposed attempts to book Kraftwerk themselves for Block9/IICON.

and yes, I agree with you, seeing them once should have been enough for me, especially at the prices they charge. nice to see them (or whatever's left of "them"), but absolutely zero desire to ever do it again. 15 mins into the last time I saw them I remember thinking "you spent 100quid to be bored the last time too".

I just can't see how it makes any sense at all.  AFAIK, they don't scale down their setup, so it would be a pretty quick "here's the stage size and screen we need" and Block9 thinking "yeah, we don't have that". For 15+ years they've had the same stage show, can't see them dropping it, especially for a tiny fee. Far more likely that it was always just "someone who was in Kraftwerk" playing down at Block9, as is the case this year.

Ah, gotcha. Yes, have to agree that I can't see them downscaling their A/V set up for what IICON could offer.

And glad to know that it's not just me that finds their live show a bit...dry, after a while.

Ben

4 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Never seen Kraftwerk. I’d like to think I wouldn’t get bored. I got bored at Karenn last year though not gonna lie. Did yers who got bored at Kraftwerk see them?

I saw them at Bluedot, they were really good. The sound was unreal, too

2 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Never seen Kraftwerk. I’d like to think I wouldn’t get bored. I got bored at Karenn last year though not gonna lie. Did yers who got bored at Kraftwerk see them?

See Karenn? Christ on a bike, yes!

They were really good for me, Tommy. NOT as good as when I first saw them at House of God, tbh. I thought the development and sequencing of the tracks through the set was not quite as interesting as previously, but I was in a good place, it was Karenn on IICON, and it was the end of my festival.

Banging.

Ben

1 minute ago, Johnnyseven said:

Wolfgang Flur surely can't be headlining IICON? A mate puts him on in London at The Lexington, you could probably fit at least 100 rooms the size of The Lexington in the IICON and still have space to spare. Would he really pull enough of a crowd?

Don't think there's any indication of headlining, Johnny.

His booking is, for me, very in keeping with the Block9 policy of leftfield variety. Last year's line-up had quite a few on there about which I said 'what? on that stage?'. If Wolfgang plays at, say, midnight, as people are pouring into the SEC, and before some of the bigger hitters, that could be great.

Ben

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

See Karenn? Christ on a bike, yes!

They were really good for me, Tommy. NOT as good as when I first saw them at House of God, tbh. I thought the development and sequencing of the tracks through the set was not quite as interesting as previously, but I was in a good place, it was Karenn on IICON, and it was the end of my festival.

Banging.

Ben

It was banging and impressive but I got bored after about an hour and wanted a bit of a curveball or something. Would watch them again though. Personally would much rather see them DJ.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Wolfgang Flur surely can't be headlining IICON? A mate puts him on in London at The Lexington, you could probably fit at least 100 rooms the size of The Lexington in the IICON and still have space to spare. Would he really pull enough of a crowd?

I’ll say it again he’s playing in Wigan! Would he take the Larry Heard slot immediately after headliners? Was handy as everyone had time to meet up and would be together plus after Chem Bros I was well and truly ready for something deep. 

29 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Don't think there's any indication of headlining, Johnny.

His booking is, for me, very in keeping with the Block9 policy of leftfield variety. Last year's line-up had quite a few on there about which I said 'what? on that stage?'. If Wolfgang plays at, say, midnight, as people are pouring into the SEC, and before some of the bigger hitters, that could be great.

Ben

Oh ok. I misread the chat then, I got the impression that the idea was that they'll get Wolfgang to play the slot they had Kraftwerk lined up for. What you and @Tommy Dickfingers  suggested makes more sense.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

It’s a good booking let’s not lose sight of that. I’ll probably be there unless it’s Harvey at the Downlow that night in which case all roads lead to there immediately after headliner.

They'd probably need to lead there before the headliner to get in

7 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

About to jump on a flight in a few hours. Anyone got links to downloadable mixes/sets you’ve been playing a bit?

Apologies if this is a crappy rec if you can't find it to download, @Tommy Dickfingers (am at work so can't do the legwork for you...!), but ASC is one of the most intelligent and interesting techno/IDM producers out there at the moment (he does/has done loads of stuff over the years, including breaks, D 'n' B and ambient...).

This is a hybrid live show and is, well, superb.

Ben

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 12:33 PM, Tommy Dickfingers said:

It was banging and impressive but I got bored after about an hour and wanted a bit of a curveball or something. Would watch them again though. Personally would much rather see them DJ.

I got bored too and some mates who I'd dragged along were totally unimpressed.

Saved by Felix Dickinson on Genosys which was one of my fave sets of the whole week and a brilliant way to finish up.

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Apologies if this is a crappy rec if you can't find it to download, @Tommy Dickfingers (am at work so can't do the legwork for you...!), but ASC is one of the most intelligent and interesting techno/IDM producers out there at the moment (he does/has done loads of stuff over the years, including breaks, D 'n' B and ambient...).

This is a hybrid live show and is, well, superb.

Ben

Cheers I’ll see if I can download it now.