Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

Can't imagine he'll do a full album show - definitely not the right place to do it so soon after the album release, especially as there's a good chance most of the crowd wouldn't have had a chance to actually listen to the album yet (which is the biggest fuckup of this album rollout if it was actually supposed to come out on the 7th).

1 minute ago, FatAmmy said:

When kendrick headlined bonnaroo in one of his first shows after TPAB came out, he just played 4 songs from it at the end of his set. 

To be fair he didn't play much from it at most of his festival shows. Clearly realised the more straightforward good kid material was more appropriate for a festival crowd than loads of jazz freakouts.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Can't imagine he'll do a full album show - definitely not the right place to do it so soon after the album release, especially as there's a good chance most of the crowd wouldn't have had a chance to actually listen to the album yet (which is the biggest fuckup of this album rollout if it was actually supposed to come out on the 7th).

To be fair he didn't play much from it at most of his festival shows. Clearly realised the more straightforward good kid material was more appropriate for a festival crowd than loads of jazz freakouts.

That's a good point about the crowd not having heard it, they'll all be at coachella on Friday!

I saw him twice on the TPIB cycle. First time at Leeds 2015 he only did 3/4 off it, second time last year at longitude he must've done about 8/9 off it and a couple from Untitled Unmastered. He sussed out how to integrate the live band element properly by the end of the cycle and it was a flawless gig.

Kind of annoyed I never got to see him from the TPAB album tour cycle, I imagine songs will remain in the set but I'd have loved a set that focused on it. How many times did he play in the UK with it? as far as I remember he played Leeds&Reading (... no thanks) BST supporting Florence (...no thanks) and a few secret shows. Was hoping he'd have some headline glory in a not overpriced field at some point. Who knows, I might like this album better, I'm not optimistic though (not because of him, just that its shot to one of my favorite albums at this point)

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Bonnaroo audience would actually be pretty perfect for a jazz freakout. Or at least it used to be...

12 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Kind of annoyed I never got to see him from the TPAB album tour cycle, I imagine songs will remain in the set but I'd have loved a set that focused on it. How many times did he play in the UK with it? as far as I remember he played Leeds&Reading (... no thanks) BST supporting Florence (...no thanks) and a few secret shows. Was hoping he'd have some headline glory in a not overpriced field at some point. Who knows, I might like this album better, I'm not optimistic though (not because of him, just that its shot to one of my favorite albums at this point)

Think that was it (which is the reason I went to Dublin for Longitude last year too).

On 11/04/2017 at 7:35 PM, Hugh Jass said:

The final track is called Duckworth. Hopefully this will be Kendrick finally taking a break from tackling racial disparity to address the issue of rain affected cricket matches.

I hear it's a subject close to his heart.

Sensational post.

6 hours ago, st dan said:

Sooooo ... tomorrow is the day then - can't wait for this. Just hope that I am not left disappointed!*

*(although it is very likely that I will be, due to the ridiculous levels I have hyped this up in my own head). 

Dunno, TPAB seemed more hyped and that didn't disappoint. This could fall flat compared to Butterfly and still be the best album this year in all honesty.

24 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Boo was hoping this was gonna have leaked by tonight, but I guess the good thing about announcing an album so late is there's less time for it to be ripped and posted. Up early tomorrow anyway so my first port of call will be attempting to get my hands on this. Mega hyped.

Seen a picture of some CD's, a big box from a Target store. No leak yet.

I wish it was dropping midnight GMT, Joey's album did last Friday. They want to make it fair for everyone I suppose by syncing the release.

Tomorrow will be glorious.

Bit hit and miss for me, this one. Some of it varies into more of an R&B sound that doesn't really do it for me (e.g. Love) and the whole thing has quite a soft vibe but lyrically he's on form. I enjoyed Element and Humble.

Edited by kalifire

Couple of listens in and I think it's pretty apparent that it's not up to the dazzling heights of the previous two. Sounds to me like the album that should've come between Section.80 and good kid. Second half of the album (Pride onwards) caught my attention the most, and funnily enough, the U2 song is my initial favourite (U2/Bono's bit is small but actually pretty great I thought). Think I might just have to settle with the fact that for once Kendrick has made merely a great album, rather than a masterpiece*

*again, just two listens in, so subject to change.

Edited by FloorFiller