Getting on the lineup...

Guest Tom Wells

Right, so I've said to a few of my mates who are in bands as a bit of a joke "You're just alright, I'd have got on the lineup at Glastonbury by now"....

Then I actually thought about it and wondered how simple it actually was? If you're in a band that isn't well known and wouldn't have Eavis knocking at your door to see if you wanted to come over to his farm to play, how do you get on the lineup?

I know about the competition they have (I forget the name of it now), but is there anything like an application form or something that the bands or their agents write to?

I asked a band I met in February (they're fairly big. They're signed, and have been featured in the likes of NME- I'll keep them nameless to avoid any potential embarrassment to them) if they were playing this year, and their drummer told me "Yeah, we hope so. We find out next week if we made it."... Well, they didn't end up on the lineup. Why would they have to wait to find out? That makes me think there's some kind of application process.

Anyone got any answers?

• Each area / venue books their own bands.
  • Michael / Emily only oversee the main (bigger) stages.
  • There are only so many performance passes available so there are limited spaces. Hence why many smaller bands play 2 or 3 gigs per day / fest.
  • My advice would be to play loads of good gigs, especially at other festivals where the people who have the abilty to book "new" bands will get a chance.
  • If they're good and relevant, they'll get spotted and get in.

• Each area / venue books their own bands.
  • Michael / Emily only oversee the main (bigger) stages.

How does that work, then? Surely there must be some degree of communication between the different venues, in case artists are approached multiple times by different parts of the festival. I've always imagine a central database overseen by the office, to which areas of the site should check in before approaching anyone so they get the all clear before doing so. I don't know, that's a complete guess, but just allowing everyone to do their own thing wouldn't work at all.

Edited by kalifire

What about DJ's? I am a techno & trance DJ. I have played on some decent line ups in the past (and a few lined up). I would love to have a set in the glade or Shangri la, just warming up for someone would be brilliant.

Id love to contribute to a an area and a group of peoples glastonbury experience.

To be honest Id be thrilled playing to 20 people, just seeing my name in the programme would be my biggest thrill.

My friend runs a pretty successful trance and techno event. Pretty underground, but it has had some decent sized bookings. I had suggested to him to see if he could organise a tent takeover for a night. Somewhere like the spaceport. I dont know if it is possible, or who to contact? Residents + a couple of headliners.

Do these areas have their own booking agents?

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

I think a few of the smaller bands get booked as part of a deal for another act as well, as most managers/promoters/whatever have multiple artists on their books.

yeah this is a big part. bigger acts will have their agents say you can have this act but only if you put these, these and these on the line up too.

Ah, cool... Do the individual areas tend to scout and then just offer the band a spot, or would it be a case of artists enquiring? Or even the areas posting, asking for applicants?

the people that book the bands, book the bands the have seen and heard that they think are suitable for the area of their responsibility. CDs and hard work enquireing may help. but how the act performs live is by far the most important aspect of getting booked to play.

How does that work, then? Surely there must be some degree of communication between the different venues, in case artists are approached multiple times by different parts of the festival. I've always imagine a central database overseen by the office, to which areas of the site should check in before approaching anyone so they get the all clear before doing so. I don't know, that's a complete guess, but just allowing everyone to do their own thing wouldn't work at all.

sure there is a massive co-ordination between all the venues and stages - and this is why the line up takes so long to finalise.

i guess what i was trying to say is that there is a booking hirachy and that ME and EE don't book all the acts.

also, some established acts are expected to play at more than one venue and so get "placed or offered" around accordingly on entry under the largest venue. when thats done, the organisers of the smaller venues then know how many gaps they have, how many performer tickets they have left and can then approach the "newbie" bands accordingly.

it is very complicated.

What about DJ's? I am a techno & trance DJ. I have played on some decent line ups in the past (and a few lined up). I would love to have a set in the glade or Shangri la, just warming up for someone would be brilliant.

Id love to contribute to a an area and a group of peoples glastonbury experience.

To be honest Id be thrilled playing to 20 people, just seeing my name in the programme would be my biggest thrill.

My friend runs a pretty successful trance and techno event. Pretty underground, but it has had some decent sized bookings. I had suggested to him to see if he could organise a tent takeover for a night. Somewhere like the spaceport. I dont know if it is possible, or who to contact? Residents + a couple of headliners.

Do these areas have their own booking agents?

i met a DJ this year who was delighted to obtain his first slot in a small-ish venue. when i asked him how he'd got the gig he said that he'd met the booker for that venue from outside the venue during a set he was playing. IE - he got spotted.

With regards to djing in one of the late night areas, you need to network and contact the bookers for one of the micro venues. No point contact the main people that run Shangri-La as they'll have around 1000 people try that each year. If you have a good idea to run one of the venues that you think might appeal, then I'd approach the main contacts in Shangri-La.

Basically, you need to network. If you do, you should be able to get yourself a gig somewhere. Especially if you already have a ticket as that'll mean they don't have to give up any of their artist or production passes.

I am good mates with Sean Taylor although I would expect that many would be surprised to learn he has played Glastonbury Festival four times { I know for sure he played in 2009 in the Acoustic tent - 2010 and 2011 but he also played either in 2007 or 2008 but a far smaller stage }
Sean has also played at - Cambridge Folk festival, Celtic Connections, Beautiful Days, Beverley Folk, Tolpuddle Martyrs, Chagstock, Secret Garden Party, Summertyne Americana Festival, Rhythms Of The World, Weyfest, St Ives Festival as well as hundreds of other shows in the UK & Europe.
As you can see he is always on the move.
when he started out - he had no Agent - no Manager - he just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

sean%20taylor%202013_d66861bd23b80290f26

With regards to djing in one of the late night areas, you need to network and contact the bookers for one of the micro venues. No point contact the main people that run Shangri-La as they'll have around 1000 people try that each year. If you have a good idea to run one of the venues that you think might appeal, then I'd approach the main contacts in Shangri-La.

Basically, you need to network. If you do, you should be able to get yourself a gig somewhere. Especially if you already have a ticket as that'll mean they don't have to give up any of their artist or production passes.

Thanks!

It certainly seems that as a small band you have a better chance of being booked if you're from Bath or Bristol or elsewhere in the near-ish vicinity.

I should imagine that a fair few of those involved in the booking of various stages come from the South West, and might be considered 'local' to the festival. It would make sense that they're more likely to come across relatively unknown bands on their home turf, simply because that's where they probably spend most of their time (and book for their own venues if they have one).