2015 Wishlist

teamdobby

Preferably the ticket prices of 2010/2011. To be honest though what we're talking about there is a complete overhaul of the festival isn't it? So the ticket price and capacity wouldn't necessarily be the same, and the Sonisphere name probably wouldn't be there. If it's just a slight introduction of indie rock acts like Kasabian on the Swiss lineup so far then I don't suppose it will be that at all. If they have a year off then Sonisphere have a while to assess the market and weigh up what to do and get started, but having said that I can imagine there being a lot more heavier touring headliners for 2016 so they could just end up doing the Sonisphere we know again. :P

I think it's easier said than done. A lot of those acts are already heavily contested by more mainstream festivals (for lack of a better word), which offer more exposure in TV/radio coverage, heavier on the sponsorship so can throw more money and all that jazz. You also overestimate the rock market and how divided it is. People whinged like fuck when Biffy/Weezer/All Time Low/YM@6 were announced for the saturday at 2011, and Biffy whilst put on an amazing performance, had a fairly tiny crowd, as did most of those bands.

I'd love a festival who booked acts like Phoenix did though, it appeals to me personally, but I think the assumption that it'd be a big success or much better market to pursue isn't strictly the case. Festivals like Reading or V that used to feature a lot more rock or alternative music have moved more and more away from this, do you not wonder why? Though maybe I'm wrong, it is only a 60k festival afterall so maybe they could pull something like that off.

People whinged like fuck, yet Sonisphere 2011 is the only one to sell out, didn;t they say they had that much demand that they could have sold 80k tickets if they wanted.

Aye, but again it's getting compared to the bigger festivals, and if they don't book big bands, it'll fold. Look at 2012 for example. If they wanted to go down that route, they'd need to scale the pricing back a fair bit too, but I don't know if running a lower priced event would work in that location (guess it depends on costs?), and if they booked smaller bands it wouldn't really work with the touring festival idea would it? Not to mention if they were only booking smaller bands, and had to scale price down, budget would go down on what they can spend on bands, this would make it easier for competing festivals to just throw a bit more money to get a band that might headline sonisphere, to sub their festival etc... there are plenty of reasons again why that might not work as well as it sounds, or while it fix some of the issues they've had over the years, it'd present a whole new bunch of issues which could be just as bad - if not worse.

Last year when Sonisphere wasn't on, they had an electronic festival which only sold around 12k tickets at Knebworth House. I don't get the impression that the owners really care as long as they're getting paid something to help with teir restoration project.

• 4 weeks later...

At what point will they just give up and announce another cancellation? Surely too late to go ahead now!

Saw a bit of the new years eve show with Queen + Adam Lambert - he did a decent job, but it was clear that Queen in any guise wouldn't be suited to a festival (bar Glasto, maybe).

I think Queen would work at V as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Team Sonisphere reluctantly confirm that Sonisphere will not take place in the UK in 2015. Weve been working hard to get a line-up that we felt was good enough but also on a weekend which would avoid other events that we know rock fans would want to support. Unfortunately our last irons in the fire have just been extinguished and its clear that we wont be in a position to run the event this year. Weve said in the past that Sonisphere will only go ahead if we feel it is going to be good enough and that hasnt changed.

We hope all rock fans have a great summer with all the festivals and concerts already in the calendar and we plan to see you all in 2016.

if Soni want to continue they should definitely branch out a bit (like others have suggested on here) and, whilst still booking the heavy Download-ish acts, going for some other slightly less heavy acts. i know they've kind of done that already what with having Biffy headline etc, but a bit more in that direction would definitely widen the headliner net

I did mention a few months ago that it wasn't happening. The competition winners were told there tickets they won were for any soni in Europe.

This whole still looking for headliners thing is bollocks. They decided a while ago that it wasn't happening.

The Uk is in Europe, and a couple of months ago it was still on the cards. They were in talks with Acdc who were a strong maybe, then Acdc decided to do their own shows on Soni weekend so Soni proposed a different weekend and they said no. Essentially strung them along to boost their own fees for their own shows. They had a few others in talks that seemed likely at one point or another, Tool being one of those but then opted to not tour at all - I think they were the last to get back to them this month hence officially making the call to not run