Football 2014/15

TheGayTent

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably, but that puts Liverpool in no different a place. On the whole (as an average) they're not buying British players any more than other 'top' clubs are.

Possibly not than Man Utd, but City, Arsenal and Chelsea are hardly touching the market of british premiership player looking ot make the step up.

Edited by pink_triangle

Possibly not than Man Utd, but City, Arsenal and Chelsea are hardly touching the market of british premiership player looking ot make the step up.

it depends what year you choose to look at.

Which is why I went with the average. They all go for British (or British-based) players from time to time, but it depends on whether there's any decent British players around at the time, as well as what that squad's player requirements are at that time.

That side of transfers is also knobbled a bit by the fact that as a general rule none of those 'top' clubs are particularly happy to see their players go to other 'top' Prem clubs ... Chelsea are the most relaxed about it, but whether that's really just another symptom of Moaniho's arrogance I'm not sure.

Who?

Calum Chambers.

The Arsenal advantage over the likes of Liverpool is that Arsenal have a fat squad and so can buy 'prospects' without needing them on their game from the first moment.

Liverpool have also gone for some 'prospects' - tho ones with greater playing experience than the likes of Chambers - and while also needing players for immediate effect such as Lalana was meant to provide (tho failed to). If the Liverpool plan works out with those 'prospects' (including being able to keep them if they hit the hopes for them) then perhaps a few years from now they might have worked themselves into a similar squad position to what Arsenal have now.

But overall - because 'prospects' coming good are likely to get tempted away elsewhere (as it happening with sterling right now) - Liverpool really need to get lucky with a signing (as they did with Suarez) to be able to have a chance of sustainable top 4. Otherwise, unless they go the City way of spending big until they get there, they're likely to get stuck in a loop where they never actually catch up in exactly the same way as has been happening with Spurs (who've generally been spunking more on players than Liverpool have).

Calum Chambers.

The Arsenal advantage over the likes of Liverpool is that Arsenal have a fat squad and so can buy 'prospects' without needing them on their game from the first moment.

Liverpool have also gone for some 'prospects' - tho ones with greater playing experience than the likes of Chambers - and while also needing players for immediate effect such as Lalana was meant to provide (tho failed to). If the Liverpool plan works out with those 'prospects' (including being able to keep them if they hit the hopes for them) then perhaps a few years from now they might have worked themselves into a similar squad position to what Arsenal have now.

But overall - because 'prospects' coming good are likely to get tempted away elsewhere (as it happening with sterling right now) - Liverpool really need to get lucky with a signing (as they did with Suarez) to be able to have a chance of sustainable top 4. Otherwise, unless they go the City way of spending big until they get there, they're likely to get stuck in a loop where they never actually catch up in exactly the same way as has been happening with Spurs (who've generally been spunking more on players than Liverpool have).

I had completely forgotten about Chambers, has he been imjured or just not getting a game? Im not sure liverpool can get to sustainable top 4 unless the well runs dry at city or chelsea. I think looking to be there about 50% of the time is a challenging target at present.

Reports Sterling is potentially pushing for a move to Utd.............

This could get a lot more ugly than it is already

I dont think liverpool will sell him to man utd. He doesnt have connections to the city, so wouldnt surprise me if he would take the move. I wonder if its part of a negotiation where he will basically say "ok I wont go to man utd, but I want you to let me go to club x, on these terms".

Calum Chambers.

Debuchy as well, who looks like a pretty pointless signing now, with both Bellerin and Jenkinson having had better seasons. Although they weren't plagued with injury I guess.

Chambers has been injured, I think, but I doubt he'd be getting a game anyway. He seems destined to be a CB at Arsenal now, with the other young options they have at RB (and the fact he seems better suited to CB anyway), and for now he's below Koscielny, Mertesacker and Gabriel in the pecking order. But that's the way it should be for a kid his age. Mertesacker only has one or two years left, and by that time Chambers should have developed enough to be challenging for a starting spot.

.... only has one or two years left, and by that time Chambers should have developed enough to be challenging for a starting spot.

yep, that was the point I was getting at. Arsenal are now in a position where a big money kid doesn't necessarily get too many games and where they'll only get to get regular games by playing well, whereas someone like that at Liverpool would have to immediately count towards better performances else Rodgers gets slated for another transfer fuck-up.

I'm no particular fan of Rodgers and his transfers do perhaps rate as below average - but nothing like as much as he gets stick for it.

it's a lovely touch, especially as they were only after £150 (they now have over a grand).

I'm guessing she'll be getting flowers each week ... until things go tits up again. :P

I think its brilliant, only people I have seen upset about it is Newcastle fans, calling us "sad" :thumbsu:

The money is going to charity which with it being upto £2,335 is a nice way to start the summer I think! Its a bit of fun after all. but people will actually benefit from it.

Best Comment next to the donation was this one

"Chris Hunt - Cheers Mrs A. My lass doesn't even let me stay an extra hour in the pub."

:D

"

Edited by kemosabe

6 goals and 2 assists in 75 games over the last three seasons.

3 goals and 0 assists from 31 starts at Villa. Not sure how well he's performed aside from that, as I haven't seen him play that often.

Stats like that are very misleading, di Maria 3 goals and 10 assists.

Di Maria has been a failure by all accounts.