Football 2014/15

TheGayTent

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money talks, and the people with the money are mainly looking to the big traditional markets and the "elite"/bigger nations have the perfect excuse to take control again.

Agree money talks, but there's no shortage of money in areas of Asia. Unless you move away from a one member one vote election, there's no way a David gill type person gets elected.

Good signing for Liverpool, and the best move Milner could have made.

As others have said, I guess he'll play in a midfield three with Henderson and Can/Lucas, with a front three of Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho.

That's obviously only if Sterling stays. Is it looking like he'll definitely be going?

As others have said, I guess he'll play in a midfield three with Henderson and Can/Lucas, with a front three of Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho.

that'd mean playing narrow and four at the back. I'm not sure that's a good idea, unless they get new bodies in.

There's rumours that they're after Clyne tho I can't see them getting him. But they need much more than that, and I'm not sure Rodgers is being given money to spend.

As good a free transfer as you'll see. I'm pissed off, put it that way!

I like him, but probably wouldn't go that far. For all the talk of free transfer, it is a hugely expensive deal, for a player with no resale value. If he flops, his wages make him impossible to sell on, or even give away. I like Milner, but I think its a lot of money for someone who isn't a match winner.

Can behind Henderson and Milner I imagine. Which I would be absolutely fine with. Another DM would be nice though if Lucas is off.

Dunno what more Henderson has to do to be seen as good though - he's only 24 still as well. I think him and Milner are very similar in that regard - under-appreciated. Perhaps because they've been mediocre at international level.

Whatever happens, those two won't be the issue with Liverpool this season.

Nals description of alright is probably close to my view, I would say fine. A lot of these English players like Henderson and young are either called great or terrible, the reality is that they are both pretty middling. No problem with that, when I first started watching Liverpool the likes of Ray Houghton were solid, but not spectacular.

I wouldn't give Rodgers a fucking penny. Guy's an abomination in the transfer market. He'll wind up signing Moshni or something.

I don't think he's any worse than any other 'top' manager. They all have their fuck-ups.

The ones Rodgers makes are more visible tho, because every buy is vital towards improving a not-great squad. As a contrast, Moaniho bought Salah and then quickly shipped him out again and not many people noticed.

As it happens, Rodgers was after Salah when Moaniho bought him - but Rodgers would have been slaughtered for it if it had turned out the same way.

I like him, but probably wouldn't go that far. For all the talk of free transfer, it is a hugely expensive deal, for a player with no resale value. If he flops, his wages make him impossible to sell on, or even give away. I like Milner, but I think its a lot of money for someone who isn't a match winner.

I think especially for Liverpool at this moment in time, he's a very valuable addition.

And I don't think the money is too bad, considering everything in the round.

- He's free (or almost-free if there's a signing-on fee);

- Hendo is on more than £100k a week (he knocked back £100k) so the going rate for such players must be pretty high, and £50k a week extra for Milner is only £8M over three years

- it's not like they're getting him when his form has dropped with age (tho of course it will somewhen down the line). He's been excellent recently.

- Liverpool could do with some more experienced players right now, especially one with experience of what it takes to win a title.

- and, just as way of a comparison RvP was a similar-ish age when Man Utd bought him, and paid £30M. Because of his age, his value has fallen fast - and they'll be no loss like that to Liverpool. In fact at signing, they're getting free money of perhaps £20+M (whatever you care to value him at when tied down to a contract) onto their accounts.

It's all a no-brainer for Liverpool, I'd say.

I think especially for Liverpool at this moment in time, he's a very valuable addition.

And I don't think the money is too bad, considering everything in the round.

- He's free (or almost-free if there's a signing-on fee);

- Hendo is on more than £100k a week (he knocked back £100k) so the going rate for such players must be pretty high, and £50k a week extra for Milner is only £8M over three years

- it's not like they're getting him when his form has dropped with age (tho of course it will somewhen down the line). He's been excellent recently.

- Liverpool could do with some more experienced players right now, especially one with experience of what it takes to win a title.

- and, just as way of a comparison RvP was a similar-ish age when Man Utd bought him, and paid £30M. Because of his age, his value has fallen fast - and they'll be no loss like that to Liverpool. In fact at signing, they're getting free money of perhaps £20+M (whatever you care to value him at when tied down to a contract) onto their accounts.

It's all a no-brainer for Liverpool, I'd say.

I guess it all will depend on performances. If strong then that 50k a week extra gets forgotten. If weak then you have a player that can't be shifted and Liverpool have had way too many of those in recent years.

It's true that Chelsea have had flops, but they can get away with it. Liverpool have to be cleverer and luckier. What concerns me is the names being linked sound like people who could help them reclaim 5th, but they don't look like players who will make that extra step.

I guess it all will depend on performances. If strong then that 50k a week extra gets forgotten. If weak then you have a player that can't be shifted and Liverpool have had way too many of those in recent years.

Given how Milner has been playing, and the wages of others, his Liverpool wage doesn't seem excessive. Premium players get premium wages.

Just for comparison (again), today's gossip says that Man Utd are offering Sterling £140k as a starting wage.

It's true that Chelsea have had flops, but they can get away with it. Liverpool have to be cleverer and luckier. What concerns me is the names being linked sound like people who could help them reclaim 5th, but they don't look like players who will make that extra step.

Yep, Chelsea can get away with it - but just because Rodgers can't because his signings are of more immediate importance doesn't make him a worse manager if he has a similar proportion of cock-ups.

The players being linked with Liverpool are good enough. The problem is that there's never enough of them to take the squad up the level it needs to move. It pretty much ends up just covering off other changes within the squad.

Just look at Utd in the last year. Their new signings didn't set the world on fire - in fact they were distinctly average (particular when compared against the prices paid) - but combined with the squad depth* they were enough to take them back up a notch.

(* tho Utd's squad is pretty thin too, but nowhere near as thin as Liverpool's).

It certainly wasn't down to the team "playing well", was it? They were mostly pretty dreadful, but the quality counted when it mattered.

Im not sure what is the most disgraceful, Ireland considering taking legal action against an incorrect referreing decision, or FIFA paying them money to stop them.

Neither, its the fact Ireland's FA took the "hush money", and didn't speak up when it would possibly have caused a storm against FIFA/Blatter.

Neither, its the fact Ireland's FA took the "hush money", and didn't speak up when it would possibly have caused a storm against FIFA/Blatter.

Spot on.

I am sure there will be a fair few coming forward, in the hope it's going to save there necks.

Ah sure lads twas only a "loan for a stadium" that the FAI would have had to pay back if the team qualified for the WC in 2014! :lol: (so garunteed mula so!) Twas all "confidential" ya see. Nothing nefarious or untoward to see here...............Im sure the money was simply resting in certain bank accounts n all that!

BTW this stadium the money was "loaned" to help build? Was the stadium in which the "hand ball" controversy occurred! The bloody thing was built already!!..................feckin stinks...........but thats FIFA and football for you

Yep, Chelsea can get away with it - but just because Rodgers can't because his signings are of more immediate importance doesn't make him a worse manager if he has a similar proportion of cock-ups.

Its diffciult to say I Rodgers signings are his own. I dont think liverpool have had a similar proportion of cock ups in the transfer market as other clubs, I think they have been worse than average. How many players have liverpool signed in recent years from lower premiership clubs who have made a step up? Im thinking Mascherano and Henderson but am now strugglng!

Its diffciult to say I Rodgers signings are his own. I dont think liverpool have had a similar proportion of cock ups in the transfer market as other clubs, I think they have been worse than average. How many players have liverpool signed in recent years from lower premiership clubs who have made a step up? Im thinking Mascherano and Henderson but am now strugglng!

but mostly the clubs round the top don't buy from other Prem clubs. You'd have the same difficulty at identifying those sorts of successes with (nearly?) all of them.

The only current ones coming to mind a few at the back at Utd, but they've hardly been successes. It's more a case they've not been failures.

Skrtel should liverpool keep him or not? He sounds like he is itching for a better deal or a move. Im undecided, part of me think he is on the way downhill, but he offers some stability in what has been a pretty unstable defence

they should keep him.

While they might get someone better in (tho I'm not sure who), they're not over-flowing with talent back there and they need to keep decent cover.

but mostly the clubs round the top don't buy from other Prem clubs. You'd have the same difficulty at identifying those sorts of successes with (nearly?) all of them.

The only current ones coming to mind a few at the back at Utd, but they've hardly been successes. It's more a case they've not been failures.

Maybe those clubs arent buying these players for a reason!