Jack White?

ssimpson90

Was at Leeds arena watching Pearl Jam last night and found that there is no curfew at the venue; PJ played for 3 and a half hours, so do we reckon possibility of a 2 and a half hour+ set from Jack like he has been doing sometimes recently? ;)

oh lawdy lord I'd love that. Any idea why it doesn't have a curfew? Surely there's got to be one because it's in the city centre?

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify what I meant about J. White's songwriting, it's not that he can't knock out a reasonable tune - because he can - it's just that he draws from a pretty limited expressive palette - the shrill, the petulant - and over the course of either an album or a gig I start to find it wearing. His music could do with a bit more variety and a whole heap more warmth.

Both Raconteurs records and the two solo records are brilliant listens.

Yeah thats true. Enjoyed The Raconteurs.

Regardless of anything, hes a busy c**t which is always a good thing. He could be easily sitting in his mansion counting the Seven Nation Army royalty cheques. But hes constantly busy, working with different people and bands.

which dead weather set? Park special guest in 2009 or Pyramid in the heatwave of 2010?

I missed he Park, but thought they nailed the Pyramid. I am as biased as you when it comes to him though. Have seen before you're not a fan.

I missed Raconteurs in 2008 but many reviews I've heard/read reckon that was awesome.

The raconteurs set of 08 remains my favourite set by anyone ever at Glastonbury in my 8 times of going. Love watching it back on youtube its spell binding by 4/5 awesome musicians.

To be honest, I wasn't there so I can't say but Glastonbury seems to have got the most mixed response of any of his recent gigs that I have seen review-wise; the Apollo gig was getting 5 out 5 in pretty much every review :) I didn't think his Glastonbury set was that great through what I saw of the live stream compared to recent gigs such as Roskilde and Bonnaroo.

To be honest, I wasn't there so I can't say but Glastonbury seems to have got the most mixed response of any of his recent gigs that I have seen review-wise; the Apollo gig was getting 5 out 5 in pretty much every review :) I didn't think his Glastonbury set was that great through what I saw of the live stream compared to recent gigs such as Roskilde and Bon naroo.

Yeah Bonnaroo show was bloody brilliant. Like i've said i thought it was a solid set from him at Glastonbury, maybe i've a warped sense of it because i was lucky enough to be stage side. I've watched some of it back on TV though and still think it was good.

Just watching it back again now, it's great fun, just as i remember it being. Duno what was up with all you lot that didn't enjoy it.

Also i noticed three lads with the III painted down their faces in blue paint in the crowd. Well done to those guys.

Edited by III

Seven Nation Army was a bit of an odd reaction from the crowd, they didn't seem to enjoy it that much after it first kicked it in (I thought it was great!). Which sums up most of the crowd for most of the set. (Was it Hotel Yorba, when he tried to get the crowd to sing along without him as they was seemed to know the worlds until he stopped and it all went quiet? :P)

Like III I really enjoyed it, it was a bit chaotic but I kind of liked that to about it!

Should finally have my vault package on Monday after paying the customs charge! :D (8 quid just for the pleasure of charging me VAT though?!)

I was thinking about his Glastonbury set (again) the other day and it occurred to me that a lot of the crowd didn't know much of The White Stripes' music at all. How can that be?!! I know they didn't really release anything after Icky Thump (I don't think), but surely they're still 'significant' enough to be discovered younger folk after 6-7 years.

Aren't they?! I'm beginning to think that most people only know the riff to Seven Nation Army because it's chanted in football terraces.

Seven Nation Army was a bit of an odd reaction from the crowd, they didn't seem to enjoy it that much after it first kicked it in (I thought it was great!). Which sums up most of the crowd for most of the set. (Was it Hotel Yorba, when he tried to get the crowd to sing along without him as they was seemed to know the worlds until he stopped and it all went quiet? :P)

Like III I really enjoyed it, it was a bit chaotic but I kind of liked that to about it!

Should finally have my vault package on Monday after paying the customs charge! :D (8 quid just for the pleasure of charging me VAT though?!)

I don't think it really sums up the crowd, more The performance itself (and the mix). I love Jack White, and would usually be going crazy watching him, but by the end of it I was a bit downbeat, and was actually struggling to make out half the songs, as the guitar was so distorted.

That seemed to be the case around me, too. People being disappointed rather than being a poor crowd themselves.

I was thinking about his Glastonbury set (again) the other day and it occurred to me that a lot of the crowd didn't know much of The White Stripes' music at all. How can that be?!! I know they didn't really release anything after Icky Thump (I don't think), but surely they're still 'significant' enough to be discovered younger folk after 6-7 years.

Aren't they?! I'm beginning to think that most people only know the riff to Seven Nation Army because it's chanted in football terraces.

I thought this too. I was a way back to be fair, but expected people to go mental to the likes of Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground, but around me people were just chatting away

I will concede that something was up with the sound as he started 7na. Way too much distortion. I didn't notice it at the time and wondered why the crowd seemed unresponsive after chanting for the song. On the tv though you can barely hear the notes as somebody has already said.

8 quid, mine cost me an extra 18. I've been ordering stuff from third man for about 5 years now, I've never been charged this customs thing and then I've had it twice this year. Bullshit.