Jack White?

ssimpson90

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's playing in Hull.

Yeah I know man, had a look into that but there's no trains back to York generally after 10, had problems getting back from Hull after a gig before. Would have gone otherwise :) Contemplating Newcastle as a mate lives up there but not too sure yet.

It was alright, a bit too self-involved for me (for want of a better word). Pretty much every song was elongated to within an inch of its life. Would have been cool to do that once or twice, but it was all too much. I guess that's just Jack Whites way though. It was great to see him having fun, other times I've seen him he's been way too serious.

Thought he was brilliant (ignoring the other thread, to much negativity about him :P). Starting with Icky Thump :D, crowd seemed to lose interest half way through Hotel Yorba around me (nearish the 2nd barrier /sound desk bit), High Ball Stepper sounds might impressive live I have to say! We're going be Freinds was ace to.

Just gutted after hearing the demo of Top Yourself not to get that :P

Does anyone get what the weird secret gig/virus thing is about? I'm presuming the setting was for a new music video?

My vault package is also slowly making its way closer to me (currently in Miami :D)

Thought he was brilliant (ignoring the other thread, to much negativity about him :P). Starting with Icky Thump :D, crowd seemed to lose interest half way through Hotel Yorba around me (nearish the 2nd barrier /sound desk bit), High Ball Stepper sounds might impressive live I have to say! We're going be Freinds was ace to.

Just gutted after hearing the demo of Top Yourself not to get that :P

Does anyone get what the weird secret gig/virus thing is about? I'm presuming the setting was for a new music video?

My vault package is also slowly making its way closer to me (currently in Miami :D)

it was just a sercret show done in conjunction with a theatre company. Hoping they filmed it, it would make an epic vault package. Oh and I was gutted we didn't get the updated Top Yourself.

I really enjoyed Jack White, but have seen him do better. Love the fact we got lots of White Stripes songs.

Is it pretty common knowledge that Jack White does drugs? I love his music, but don't know too much about the man. He likes to put a bit of a 'freak show' on though, so initially I just wondered whether it was all part of an act. But then he seemed to get more and more mangled as the set went on, as though the drugs were kicking in... By the end (after he fell over the drum kit) he was definitely chewing the inside of his mouth! On the iPlayer footage the drummer clearly gives a 'knowing' look to someone too...

I did love the set though, I've always liked the fact you get so much more than the CD versions form him.

I really enjoyed Jack White, but have seen him do better. Love the fact we got lots of White Stripes songs.

Is it pretty common knowledge that Jack White does drugs? I love his music, but don't know too much about the man. He likes to put a bit of a 'freak show' on though, so initially I just wondered whether it was all part of an act. But then he seemed to get more and more mangled as the set went on, as though the drugs were kicking in... By the end (after he fell over the drum kit) he was definitely chewing the inside of his mouth! On the iPlayer footage the drummer clearly gives a 'knowing' look to someone too...

I did love the set though, I've always liked the fact you get so much more than the CD versions form him.

this is how I felt about it too. It was enjoyable and we got lots of Stripes songs but I've seen him do better shows.

On the drugs thing I've seen lots of people call him a coke head but that's just basing it off his onstage antics. It was pretty clear he was drunk and the same can be said of his Bonnaroo performance, few people in the Stripes forum are worried he has a drink problem.

I have read that he supposedly kicked somebody out of a Stripes after party for having drugs but I duno how true that is and it would be about 15 years ago now, so who knows. He is a rock and roll star after all and most of them end up hooked on something. He has often made jokes about drug taking (interviews with Raconteurs and the recent under lable groove thing must be a joke)

Edited by III

Thought he was much better last night, though pretty drunk again (swigging from a bottle of fizz both times). How's this for a setlist?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jack-white/2014/eventim-apollo-london-england-3bc1806c.html

Seen some rave reviews of last night. He played would you fight! Wish he hadn't bloody changed the dates around. I was supposed to be seeing him tomorrow night

:(

These setlists are jut fucking ace

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jack-white/2014/festivalpladsen-roskilde-denmark-5bc1f754.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jack-white/2014/lotnisko-gdynia-kosakowo-gdynia-poland-43c183f3.html

Would you fight for my love played on last three shows. Can't wait till November now (Although the twat that decided to put Robert plant on on the same night just down the road needs shooting).

Yeah, they look great. All the papers have been giving Jack 5/5 for his Hammersmith show aswell. Also, that pissed me right off too haha; going to see Robert in Newcastle the day after instead now as I didn't want to miss his tour.

Did he apologise?

said that he didn't know what to play as he hadn't played outside during day light in a long time. That the crowd was too far from the stage and you could tell they'd been rained on for 2 days.

Also said something along the lines of if he's not sure what to play he plays the opposite of what people expect to see what happens

I got the impression he knew he hadn't gone down that well, though maybe I'm biased just because I was a bit disappointed in him

I've never been particularly impressed with him in any lineup.

White Stripes were okish when they played, Dead Weather were utterly appalling - one of the very few gigs I've ever left for being so shit. And he was ok last week, regardless of setlist. Nothing special. As expected then really.

Dude doesn't have the songwriting chops.

Yeah its all very loose and a bit stop/start. And a bit shouty. Interesting enough I suppose. Enjoyed parts of it. The vacant Jim Morrison-esque posing into the camera pissed me off after a while I have to say.

which dead weather set? Park special guest in 2009 or Pyramid in the heatwave of 2010?

I missed he Park, but thought they nailed the Pyramid. I am as biased as you when it comes to him though. Have seen before you're not a fan.

I missed Raconteurs in 2008 but many reviews I've heard/read reckon that was awesome.

09 in The Park. Had just seen a beautiful Emiliana Torrini gig in the sun - mud was drying up - and then they came on and stank the place up. Couldn't pick a tune out. Just a load of noise. And not noise in the Kevin Shields way either. A very tinny and harsh sounding gig. Mostly out of tune. Sounded like a load of people trying to play blues.

Edited by The Nal

Was at Leeds arena watching Pearl Jam last night and found that there is no curfew at the venue; PJ played for 3 and a half hours, so do we reckon possibility of a 2 and a half hour+ set from Jack like he has been doing sometimes recently? ;)