Metallica 2014

JamesT977

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they haven't.

Right now, the headliner they have booked or have pencilled in is Metallica.

The unanswered question is whether Metallica are really up for doing it. Everything I've accessed says that they're not.

However, that might just be how they're playing it, to keep it under wraps. There's also stuff I've accessed which strongly suggests that this could well be how it is.

Really? After all those interviews where Lars stated how much they wanted to play, now they aren't really up for it? That doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm sure you know more than I do.

They have a stake in the Sonisphere venture ao perhaps it has something to do with that?

I'm very much hoping that Metallica are doing it!

By saying that they're possibly 'not be up for doing it', I'm assuming that means the headline slot as opposed to the festival, which...to make another assumption I'd guess the amount that goes into the stage set up/logistics for a headliner on the pyramid is something off putting when compared to just turning up and playing unnanounced on the other stage/similar?

That said, would a headline slot where the tv footage of a pyramid headliner showing the full metallica pyrotechnic show not be more beneficial for sonisphere than a smaller slot?

Lots of assumptions in that, I'm just very excited about the prospect of Metallica headlining the pyramid so am making a few guesses as to whether it's metallica who aren't keen personally on headlining or because of the sonisphere arrangement.

Really? After all those interviews where Lars stated how much they wanted to play, now they aren't really up for it? That doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm sure you know more than I do.

They have a stake in the Sonisphere venture ao perhaps it has something to do with that?

Lars is a gobshite, always has been. I'm not saying they don't want to play, but there's a misconception that the band as a whole are desperate to do so.

Really? After all those interviews where Lars stated how much they wanted to play, now they aren't really up for it?

that's not quite what I said.

The band's people are officially saying, and very definitely, that Glastonbury is not happening and that there'll only be one UK show this year. That official line says it's not happening. Everything around the band says it's not happening.

But, given what the band have said about wanting to play G, and that (from what i've heard) this saga has been going on since at least early December, I find it hard to believe that the possibility of playing Glastonbury this year is a new idea to the band, or that they wouldn't have stomped on it long before now if it wasn't going to happen.

So take your pick for which of those very different ideas you want to go with. One says they're not playing, the other says they are and they've done a good job of hushing it up.

They have a stake in the Sonisphere venture

they don't. But they do have a contract with them for a show this summer, and that contract might mean that Metallica are not doing Glasto and could never have done Glasto.

PS ... remember what I've said about Glasto thinking they were going to book Arcade Fire in a previous year, when AF could not play because they had a gig in LA that weekend?

Presumably that happened because a UK agent strung Glastonbury along in the hope he might get AF to change their plans.

For all I know, the same thing could have happened around Metallica, and there's always been no chance at all of them playing ... and this scenario would fit within all of the gossip I've heard.

But of course the band/management knowing about Glastonbury wanting them since late last year could also be true, in which case I think it's very likely they'll be playing.

Take your pick from those different ideas - to save you all asking me which way I think it'll go. I have no idea.

Edited by eFestivals

sounds like they've bottled it, just like depeche mode. Seems they dont fancy playing outside their comfort zone.

Shame!

Nah out of any mega sized band I cant really think of another band who constantly moves away from their comfort zone knowing there will be a backlash of some sort.

From using acoustic guitars on Fade to Black, making a video for One, a ballad in Nothing Else Matters, getting their hair cut, S&M with an orchestra and more recently Loutallica. They're always up for something different doing a style of music in a genre that isnt exactly open to it.

Lars is a gobshite, always has been. I'm not saying they don't want to play, but there's a misconception that the band as a whole are desperate to do so.

I agree, he is a gobshite. But he has said in numerous articles that Glastonbury is the last 'big one' they haven't played and they would love to do it. I've no idea of their desperation levels, but they certainly want to play; why else would he say so?

that's not quite what I said.

The band's people are officially saying, and very definitely, that Glastonbury is not happening and that there'll only be one UK show this year. That official line says it's not happening. Everything around the band says it's not happening.

But, given what the band have said about wanting to play G, and that (from what i've heard) this saga has been going on since at least early December, I find it hard to believe that the possibility of playing Glastonbury this year is a new idea to the band, or that they wouldn't have stomped on it long before now if it wasn't going to happen.

So take your pick for which of those very different ideas you want to go with. One says they're not playing, the other says they are and they've done a good job of hushing it up.

they don't. But they do have a contract with them for a show this summer, and that contract might mean that Metallica are not doing Glasto and could never have done Glasto.

This saga is more of an epic than Lord of The Rings... I guess we just have to wait and see... I hate waiting and seeing!

Always thought I read they had a 25% state in Soni the year it was launched - maybe it was just that year, or maybe my name is really Matt and I'm talking out of my ass.