I get your point, but my problem with Chic headlining isn't their size, it's simply because they only played last year, one slot lower & have released nothing at all since. So essentially we will be getting the exact same set with a few fireworks.

You don't like fireworks?

I hate to get into discussions about guessing how much festival headliners cost, because it is always just that - guessing - but:

1. I can't imagine the Cure were all that expensive really. They're based in southeast England, they didn't have a big production, and I can't imagine their demands are in any way outlandish.

2. When Stevie Wonder headlined, the other two headliners were Florence + the Machine and New Order, the latter of whom had recently been playing Academy-sized venues. Both cheap bookings, perhaps on a par with Foals and Chic.

3. When Elton John headlined, the other two headliners were Snoop Dogg (probably reasonably expensive, though not so much so that other festivals are unable to afford him for an early-evening slot) and Fatboy Slim (basically doing Rob a favour).

I'm not saying Chic are the best headliner they could've chosen, but I don't think we could expect anyone significantly bigger. I wonder if Busta Rhymes (a fairly mid-range booking, all things considered) was in fact lined up to headline if OutKast had said no, in which case the big money could've gone on a different big-name headliner, and Chic would be headlining the Big Top one night.

All speculation though, obviously.

I know as a fact Snoop Dogg is a really cheap headliner when hes on his own, no dogg pound etc.

The thing that makes me doubt that they "settled" for Chic is that, if they really were struggling for a headliner, they could've kept trying for another couple of months. Fatboy Slim wasn't announced until May last year, and Björk wasn't announced until June in 2011.

The thing that makes me doubt that they "settled" for Chic is that, if they really were struggling for a headliner, they could've kept trying for another couple of months. Fatboy Slim wasn't announced until May last year, and Björk wasn't announced until June in 2011.

The key word there though is "announced", not booked. Bjork had a run of shows advertised as "exclusive" in Manchester to sell out before anything else was announced. Who knows how far in advance she was actually booked. I see Fatboy Slim as a similar situation to Chic, Rob couldn't get the act he wanted (Arcade Fire) so he called up one of his mates & asked for a favour.

What would they achieve by waiting a few more months? Most "big" acts will have already been booked months ago for other festivals & the wait only makes peoples expectations grow so the majority would have been even more let down when Chic were announced... The only one I can see that slipped through the net seems to be Portishead, but I'm sure there's a reason why Rob couldn't get them to play.

Perhaps I am completely way off the mark & Rob did just think fuck it I'll book Nile again he smashed it last time. But for a Festival & a promoter that don't like repeat bookings, that's an odd first choice for a headliner right there.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Perhaps I am completely way off the mark & Rob did just think fuck it I'll book Nile again he smashed it last time.

This is what I thought. I guess its only us on here & the Bestival forum & a few others that go repeatedly year after year & he may have at least we can always go see someone else whilst Chic are on.

Still doesn't look great for regular attendees

The key word there though is "announced", not booked. Bjork had a run of shows advertised as "exclusive" in Manchester to sell out before anything else was announced. Who knows how far in advance she was actually booked. I see Fatboy Slim as a similar situation to Chic, Rob couldn't get the act he wanted (Arcade Fire) so he called up one of his mates & asked for a favour.

What would they achieve by waiting a few more months? Most "big" acts will have already been booked months ago for other festivals & the wait only makes peoples expectations grow so the majority would have been even more let down when Chic were announced... The only one I can see that slipped through the net seems to be Portishead, but I'm sure there's a reason why Rob couldn't get them to play.

Perhaps I am completely way off the mark & Rob did just think fuck it I'll book Nile again he smashed it last time. But for a Festival & a promoter that don't like repeat bookings, that's an odd first choice for a headliner right there.

No, back in 2011 Rob was really struggling to find anyone to headline the Sunday, and he admitted as much on the official forum (and on Twitter too I think). He was asking all the regulars who he could try, and Björk was one who he'd already approached, but she'd said no. Then she said yes and he announced her within a few days.

I wonder if (ie hope that) Portishead are yet to be announced as a Big Top headliner.......

Edited by smogo

Could happen.

Reasons why Portishead would be booked to headline the Big Top rather than the Main Stage:

1. They've not released anything in 6 years, so despite being legendary they're not especially relevant in 2014.

2. OutKast haven't released anything in 8 years and Chic in 22. There has to be a current headliner to balance things out, and that is Foals.

3. Portishead aren't exactly a party band, and Bestival's moved on since the days of having the likes of My Bloody Valentine, Massive Attack and Kraftwerk top the Main Stage. Björk's downbeat set in 2011 would've been much better off in the Big Top.

4. Even if they are still bigger than Foals, it wouldn't be the first time a Big Top headliner was bigger than a Main Stage headliner (*cough*Justice*cough*).

Edited by smogo

So the Big Top headliners so far are confirmed as Beck, Basement Jaxx and Paloma Faith... still one more slot to fill. Rob says he's hoping to confirm that last headliner tomorrow (don't know whether he means confirm or announce), so it could still be Portishead.....?

no mention of Paloma Faith in this recent list of bands - just Basement Jaxx, Beck and Chvrches as the already pre-announced ones (although Big Top headliners finish after the main stage, right? so i'll get to see all of these acts after the main stage headliners?)

very happy with the addition of Darkside and Bonobo though

So the Big Top headliners so far are confirmed as Beck, Basement Jaxx and Paloma Faith... still one more slot to fill. Rob says he's hoping to confirm that last headliner tomorrow (don't know whether he means confirm or announce), so it could still be Portishead.....?

Confusing because the poster Bestival tweeted makes Beck, Chvrches & Basement Jaxx look like the Big Top headliners? Paloma isn't even on it...

All my fingers are crossed for Portishead, they are such an un-bestival band

No they aren't. In fact I'd say other than Glastonbury & possibly Latitude, Bestival would be the most suitable festival for them in the UK.

That's because that poster is for the BBC 6music takeover of the Big Top, which is Thu/Fri/Sat but not Sunday.

Where did you hear about the big top headliner being booked tomorrow?

Rob told me on Twitter.

Edited by smogo

That's because that poster is for the BBC 6music takeover of the Big Top, which is Thu/Fri/Sat but not Sunday.

Agh, that makes sense then! Here's hoping it turns out to be Portishead. Knowing my luck it will be & then they'll end up clashing with OutKast.

I guess with Basement Jaxx being on the Big Top that leaves the Saturday night subheadliner slot before Foals still to be announced as well.

Lauryn Hill & Portishead please. I don't particularly care which one ends up in which slot. :P