The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

coleman-xtreme-50-quart-cooler-box.jpg

We had this last year, shade over £50 from Go Outdoors (keep an eye out for offers) - bartered down as it had a small dent. Pre cooled, filled up Wednesday morning - still had ice in the bottles by Sunday

Just wondering - did you wheel it across the site full up or transport it some other way? Just wondering about the strength of the wheels and axle. I've got a coleman 33 litre box with no wheels so will be carrying it in a wheelbarrow - if I bring it at all.

Just wondering - did you wheel it across the site full up or transport it some other way? Just wondering about the strength of the wheels and axle. I've got a coleman 33 litre box with no wheels so will be carrying it in a wheelbarrow - if I bring it at all.

I wheeled it in with no problems - pretty sturdy and easy to hose down ( if needed). We did like snoopy above and put some of our other stuff on to it to wheel in. I guess if "the going was soft" it may struggle a bit - but the handles are moulded in so I wouldn't worry about breaking them like on other boxes.

I wheeled it in with no problems - pretty sturdy and easy to hose down ( if needed). We did like snoopy above and put some of our other stuff on to it to wheel in. I guess if "the going was soft" it may struggle a bit - but the handles are moulded in so I wouldn't worry about breaking them like on other boxes.

Same here no issues with it but we were careful not to load it with heavy items

I've often wondered if it's worth lugging a cool box across the fields and when I see people with them I do have a moment of envy....

Mmm cold wine, cider and cocktails would be amazing.... Normally I've put my can of cider under my tent... Chills them a tiny bit downside you have to remember where they are so you don't stand/sit or lay on them!!!

Fill a bucket up from the tap, keep it in the shade of your porch and chuck your cans in there.

£3 instead of £50.

Thanks bsolxiv. It was just out of curiosity really as even a fishermans trolley broke on me when used last year, so I was wondering how the ice box would fair.

Thanks bsolxiv. It was just out of curiosity really as even a fishermans trolley broke on me when used last year, so I was wondering how the ice box would fair.

I guess it's probably size-limiting. We filled ours last year and only carried light items on it and it seemed ok. Maybe if you trek from the furthest car park to the top of pennards in the mud dry grass it may be different

Walmart have them for $29.97... £18.17

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-50-Quart-Xtreme-Wheeled-Cooler/23374667

A lovely American friend is working out shipping costs for me :)

They do pretty ones too..... aka college teams for a bit more....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-50-Quart-Xtreme-Wheeled-Cooler-Official-University-of-Texas-Longhorns-Design/26531672

If it works out cheaper than getting one from a UK supplier I shall consider getting one....

Walmart have them for $29.97... £18.17

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-50-Quart-Xtreme-Wheeled-Cooler/23374667

A lovely American friend is working out shipping costs for me :)

They do pretty ones too..... aka college teams for a bit more....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-50-Quart-Xtreme-Wheeled-Cooler-Official-University-of-Texas-Longhorns-Design/26531672

If it works out cheaper than getting one from a UK supplier I shall consider getting one....

I'm not sure that getting cool boxes shipped in from America especially for the event was quite the 'gentle on the earth, consume less stuff' message that Michael Eavis and the festival's other founders had in mind when they set it up all those years ago!

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure that getting cool boxes shipped in from America especially for the event was quite the 'gentle on the earth, consume less stuff' message that Michael Eavis and the festival's other founders had in mind when they set it up all those years ago!

We'd best all stop buying non british made goods then!

I'd say 97% of the items people will take to the festival are made abroad.... Just look at the clothes you have on right now.... How many are made in the UK?

I could always get my Air Steward friend to pick one up for me next time his in the US.... My back up disk came from Apple store in Chicago.....

We'd best all stop buying non british made goods then!

I'd say 97% of the items people will take to the festival are made abroad.... Just look at the clothes you have on right now.... How many are made in the UK?

I could always get my Air Steward friend to pick one up for me next time his in the US.... My back up disk came from Apple store in Chicago.....

I think that's taking things to extremes a bit, and I didn't intend to single you out; I just think these threads have a tendency to spiral out of control and end up with people spending hundreds of pounds on stuff that often gets used only once and gets dumped at the festival - I'm not saying you intend to do that, for the record.

I think, though, that many people have lost or never had sight of what the festival was supposed to represent when it was set up, and use it as an excuse to engage in an orgy of consumption with no conscience - I don't discount myself from that in some ways - and I don't think it should be encouraged.

• Upvote 1

I think that's taking things to extremes a bit, and I didn't intend to single you out; I just think these threads have a tendency to spiral out of control and end up with people spending hundreds of pounds on stuff that often gets used only once and gets dumped at the festival - I'm not saying you intend to do that, for the record.

I think, though, that many people have lost or never had sight of what the festival was supposed to represent when it was set up, and use it as an excuse to engage in an orgy of consumption with no conscience - I don't discount myself from that in some ways - and I don't think it should be encouraged.

I agree with you on the fact a lot of people purchase stuff use it once then throw it away. It annoys the hell out of me when you see tents chairs etc all abandoned on the Monday all because they can't be arsed to carry it home.

I've only ever left one thing behind at a festival, was at Bestival, a Gazebo, the wind blew it over and broke the poles and the plastic bits My friend and I took it down and put it into the massive skip they had for rubbish.... I have also been know to moan at people camping near me about the sate of their area and handed them a balck sac before.

Regrettably its the throw away socity we live in today, our parents generation had the mantality of oh it's broke I can fix that just need some new parts, where as now it works out far cheaper to buy a new one instead of getting the parts to fix the item.

I have actually wanted a "cooler" for some time and if I do purchase said item I can assure you it will be used more than once, I'm going to Isle of Wight fest this year (God help me, mate won tickets) then there are trips to the races, beach and other camping trips/possibilities

Unfortunately the cost of things in the UK make you look elsewhere esp when you are on a tight budget in the first instance.

I agree with you on the fact a lot of people purchase stuff use it once then throw it away. It annoys the hell out of me when you see tents chairs etc all abandoned on the Monday all because they can't be arsed to carry it home.

I've only ever left one thing behind at a festival, was at Bestival, a Gazebo, the wind blew it over and broke the poles and the plastic bits My friend and I took it down and put it into the massive skip they had for rubbish.... I have also been know to moan at people camping near me about the sate of their area and handed them a balck sac before.

Regrettably its the throw away socity we live in today, our parents generation had the mantality of oh it's broke I can fix that just need some new parts, where as now it works out far cheaper to buy a new one instead of getting the parts to fix the item.

I have actually wanted a "cooler" for some time and if I do purchase said item I can assure you it will be used more than once, I'm going to Isle of Wight fest this year (God help me, mate won tickets) then there are trips to the races, beach and other camping trips/possibilities

Unfortunately the cost of things in the UK make you look elsewhere esp when you are on a tight budget in the first instance.

Good shout Abster.

I think a lot of people just need to have less of a sense of entitlement to act like a selfish arsehole and expect someone else to clear up the mess they leave behind, and - not just at Glastonbury - accept that we don't have a bottomless pit of natural resources anymore and live a bit more modestly.

With the festival donating a chunk of the profits to charities such as Water Aid and Oxfam, it's a bit grotesque to be spending hundreds of pounds on expensive disposable plastic shit and dumping it all over the site because you're too tired or hungover to carry it back to the car. As you say, the left-behind tents and chairs are a total disgrace.

There seem to be reduced prices on Coleman Coastline tents at Amazon at the moment. I'll be going by myself but am (perhaps somewhat optimistically) thinking of buying a three man tent that would comfortably fit two and be luxurious for one.

Does anyone have experience with this range?

Edited by kalifire

There seem to be reduced prices on Coleman Coastline tents at Amazon at the moment. I'll be going by myself but am (perhaps somewhat optimistically) thinking of buying a three man tent that would comfortably fit two and be luxurious for one.

Does anyone have experience with this range?

Yep. Im my experience they're shit hot. Not the most expensive, but not cheap shit. Probably higher than middle of the range.

(Check out the self erecting ones...they are the MFing Shit!)

I'll be getting a new one to take this year. It's Mrs Woffy's first time and she will expect as much comfort as possible.

I'll see if i can find the one i'm buying next month and i'll post the link.

shipping stuff from the states is always horrific.

hoodie i wantwill end up getting £30.... after shipping and import charges... £62. and that's not a bulky item At All

Sucks. Only do it as a desperate measure or on items where you can afford to wait ages and do surface shipping

Thanks mate, that's all I needed to hear. Coastline 3-man will be arriving mid-week. Now to look at sleeping bags and airbeds.

I generally do sleeping bags and £6 airbeds from Tescos the week before.

Although i did see a fucking ace sleeping bag last week. I think i must have been w*nkered 'cos i can't remember why i thought it was so great. I'll have another look...

I bought one for Glasto 2013. They are such a better product than the old type which used to feel like having a straight jacket fitted after having gotten into them.

Bought a "mummy bag" off Milletts for my first glasto. Expensive mistake, as above it was like getting into a straightjacket which then ties you up in knots as you turn in your sleep.

Bought a double-size sleeping bag the next year and it was considerably more comfortable. Just like a big duvet.