The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

And hope that some scumbag doesn't help themselves to it!!

The trick would be not to leave it outside the tent unattended, or indeed sitting in front of a stage getting in the way

Lost a lot of sympathy for chair losses over the years

aldi are selling led caps as of thursday: https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-17th-april/product-detail/ps/p/led-cap/

also waterproofs, socks, hiking shoes etc.

edit: not sure i'd trust their £1.49 waterproof spray though. that's something i don't mind paying a bit more for.

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy

20% off everything in Millets till Wednesday.

The Body Shop also has a massive online sale, not that that's relevant here (unless you like to slather yourself in body butter before heading into a pyramid crowd, or something...)

thanks for this tip. went to my local one and picked myself up a lovely new tent :D

tempted to buy this, I have no idea on how bright '5 lumens' is,

Does anyone know if it's enough to use as my only torch for the festival? Also how many batteries do people reckon I'd need for the weekend for it?

Guess you didn't see my post #758 then?

But if you insist on going retro and losing the use of a hand as you go about, one battery will last for roughly 20* Glastonbury festivals or more.

*actual usage depends on how long you leave the torch on after going to bed. :D

Edited by NeufNeuf

Guess you didn't see my post #758 then?

But if you insist on going retro and losing the use of a hand as you go about, one battery will last for roughly 20* Glastonbury festivals or more.

*actual usage depends on how long you leave the torch on after going to bed. :D

I'm assuming that was aimed at me?

I just thought that I'll only really be using it to navigate myself around the fields to avoid guy ropes and head torches are more expensive aren't they?

I'm assuming that was aimed at me?

I just thought that I'll only really be using it to navigate myself around the fields to avoid guy ropes and head torches are more expensive aren't they?

You can get one from eBay for £2,99:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-LED-4-Mode-Head-Torch-Camping-Hiking-Headlamp-Waterproof-Flashlight-Bike-Lamp-/151216143443?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item23352f3c53

Or you can get BOTH for £6,99:

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/36-3961?gclid=CMj7zrn-370CFfDLtAodQQ0Abg

10155138_10101135838353245_1420931938380

This was my poundland haul last year, the tripod stools and squishy water bottles were great too, all survived the festival and will be coming again this year. I was going to suggest they might not have this type of stuff in stores yet but they are on the website - http://www.poundland.co.uk/leisure-and-entertainment/camping

edited to resize enormo-pic, sorry!

Edited by purplehelen44
  • Upvote 1

Hi, this is my very first Glastonbury, in fact very first festival! I'm very excited. Anyway, I've bought this tent: http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/107806-eurohike-avon-3-man-tent-red.html - it arrived yesterday and I've had a little look at it today. As I've not been been camping since I was about 8, it didn't dawn on me when I bought the tent that I would need a hammer to hammer the pegs in (d'oh!).

A little bit of investigating has bought me to this: http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/133908-eurohike-tent-essentials-kit-assorted.html. What do people think? The hammer looks a bit flimsy to me, but then I don't know much about these things. Sorry, I'm aware that I'm a total newbie but I'm desperate to do it properly! Thank you for reading. :thumbsu:

I hope I don't sound patronising, but if you're new, try hammering in the tent pegs before you go to Glastonbury, to get the feel of how to do it without bending them, which is more of a danger with cheaper pegs. Wilko's do a bag of mallet and 'peg puller' for about £2 and you could get some emergency pegs too.

• Upvote 1

My local Poundland has had camping stuff in for a couple of weeks, I've already been in to get some folding water bottles. Their picnic rugs are a must buy, quite small but big enough for one person to sit quite comfortably and weigh next to nothing so easy to carry around during the day.

Re. torches, head torches are great especially when you're looking for stuff in your tent at night or going to the loos. I've got a couple and none of them were expensive. I also take a compact lantern that folds down to torch size so I can have a light hanging up in the tent, cost me about a tenner in Millets and its so handy.

I hope I don't sound patronising, but if you're new, try hammering in the tent pegs before you go to Glastonbury, to get the feel of how to do it without bending them, which is more of a danger with cheaper pegs. Wilko's do a bag of mallet and 'peg puller' for about £2 and you could get some emergency pegs too.

Not at all! I am planning on practicing erecting/taking down the tent a few times before I hit Glastonbury, I definitely don't want my first attempt at putting up a tent on the day I arrive.

5 lumens is fuck all - essentially 5 candlepower but in a more proper unit.

Apologies, I hadn't looked at the specification of the torch before posting.

I've used ones from Poundland at several festivals and they have been fine and still work.

That said, I've now gone and bought a Trustfire torch which is about 8000 lumens. You should see the beam off the thing! It also has a strobe mode - ideal for parties.