The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

27 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Think I might have reached the point of middle age where I may buy a trolley for the hike from the car park. Anyone got any recommendations for good ones that don’t break the bank?

Yeah those ones just break 

16 hours ago, Lakey91 said:

Bumping this thread as I'm on a tight budget this year so I'm hunting for bargains!

Also, while I'm here, can anyone recommend any decent power banks? The bigger the better without breaking the bank. I'm taking my one year old this year so I'll have loads of additional little gadgets that might need charging.

I bought about 6 different reasonably priced ones off amazon last time and almost all of them under performed. I even got one which was advertised as a 20,000 mAh but I later discovered was actually 10,000 mAh with some weights added to make it feel like higher capacity. And that was was thousands of reviews at 5* so clearly the reviews can't be trusted.

I've got the older model of this 

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/baseus-bipow-digital-display-power-bank-20000mah-20w-black.html

Is heavy but you do get a good number of charges from them.

I've another Baseus one that's good too (x30) but looks like that is discontinued. 

47 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Think I might have reached the point of middle age where I may buy a trolley for the hike from the car park. Anyone got any recommendations for good ones that don’t break the bank?

I borrowed this off my Dad for 3 festivals. Did the job without trauma

Fishing Trolley

41 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Thanks for your valuable contribution

I mean, he's not wrong.

The cheaper ones (and for that matter some of the more expensive ones) tend to cut corners especially with things like wheels and axles, which are exactly the things that you need to be right if you're taking it on Glastonbury terrain.

2 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I bought a 4 wheeled steel mesh gardening trolley for the 2013 festival and it's still going. Similar to this:

Garden Trolley Cart | Free Delivery (theworkplacedepot.co.uk)

Bit heavy/clunky but reliable and has pneumatic tyres so good for rough ground.  You can get them from most DIY places and garden centres for £50 - £60.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, incident said:

I mean, he's not wrong.

The cheaper ones (and for that matter some of the more expensive ones) tend to cut corners especially with things like wheels and axles, which are exactly the things that you need to be right if you're taking it on Glastonbury terrain.

I mean, I didn’t say I was considering a cheap one… was just seeking opinions on good value.

21 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I bought a 4 wheeled steel mesh gardening trolley for the 2013 festival and it's still going. Similar to this:

Garden Trolley Cart | Free Delivery (theworkplacedepot.co.uk)

Bit heavy/clunky but reliable and has pneumatic tyres so good for rough ground.  You can get them from most DIY places and garden centres for £50 - £60.

Does it pack down flat?

33 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I mean, I didn’t say I was considering a cheap one… was just seeking opinions on good value.

I have this one and it hasn't failed me, providing you don't overload it!

I put some loctite on the wheel nuts for added peace of mind.

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/garden-trolley?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw5v2wBhBrEiwAXDDoJd999-BqE-d93PKNHQxAq53A4zrMbhDnA7YfgLyxj-kbxW3VydlHCBoCXcIQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Does it pack down flat?

Not really.  You can take the handle off (it's a single bolt) and the sides all fold down around the wheels but that's it.  If I had to estimate it when folded down I'd say 20cm high x 50cm wide x 90cm long, so still fairly chunky.  I wrap it in an old curtain and some bungees before sticking it in the boot as the edges are pretty pointy.

On 4/16/2024 at 8:00 AM, GrumpyRaver said:

We got this last year and worked a treat. Currently out of stock, but worth keeping an eye on. 

https://www.diy.com/departments/garden-trolley-150kg/5063022022387_BQ.prd

Don't again remember if I've posted. But for those with single/double airbeds and dont want either huge old foot-pump or heavy battery powered pump. These are beauty.

It'll take a fair while to do a reasonable sized double, but just plug and leave it.

It's dinky.

https://www.flextail.com/products/zero-pump?currency=USD&variant=44132876124407&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=1ba8463a86b8&gad_source=1

FLEXTAIL_ZERO_PUMP_600x.png?v=1699950559ZERO_PUMP_lightweight_600x.jpg?v=1699950

57 minutes ago, Drfoxxx said:

We got this last year and worked a treat. Currently out of stock, but worth keeping an eye on. 

https://www.diy.com/departments/garden-trolley-150kg/5063022022387_BQ.prd

Similar thing here, for less money. Not sure if the quality varies between the two;

https://www.theworkplacedepot.co.uk/garden-trolley-cart?gad_source=1#vat&gclid=CjwKCAjw5v2wBhBrEiwAXDDoJYYE_hubDFNtwqphJ8-rWj7VSXRd_ZMh7pbPcUDM7Fye0ogtiJig-hoCM7oQAvD_BwE

40 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Don't again remember if I've posted. But for those with single/double airbeds and dont want either huge old foot-pump or heavy battery powered pump. These are beauty.

It'll take a fair while to do a reasonable sized double, but just plug and leave it.

It's dinky.

https://www.flextail.com/products/zero-pump?currency=USD&variant=44132876124407&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=1ba8463a86b8&gad_source=1

FLEXTAIL_ZERO_PUMP_600x.png?v=1699950559ZERO_PUMP_lightweight_600x.jpg?v=1699950

This does look good, but does it have the right nozzles for standard inflatables and airbeds?

1 hour ago, Looother said:

Browsing the Vonhaus website looking for potential trolleys I came across this one. Looks good in many ways, but I'm not sure the second feature is really something they should be boasting about.

image.png.d6ee5f588befd221ebb93a3c49a3ecc6.png

My one and only time taking a trolley was 2016. It was one like this. It couldn't handle the mud and the trip back to the car on Monday morning was perhaps a low point of my whole life. The wheels got blocked up immediately and it became a terribly shaped sledge. It would probably have been fine any year since then though.....

If I was to try a trolley again it would have bigger air filled tyres. 

Lots of recommendations in this thread.

• Upvote 1

From experience don't use one of the flat trolleys. They break! 

Best thing we have used over the last 20 years is a sack trolley. Got one pretty cheap from B&Q. Then use pallet wrap to secure everything. You may have to unwrap at the security but it don't take long to wrap it back up 

IMG_0770.jpg

19 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Ta.  Hard to tell if they will fit.  But there's no long pointy one which most inflatables use.

I got one of these last year, works a treat and fits mine and both my sons' airbeds which are all different.

https://amzn.eu/d/epwFSDT

680060005_Screenshot_20240417_142245_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.67bd7dabdda1157e6b65f3fa28ca9a0c.jpg

Loads of chat going on here

• Upvote 1